Da Bomb?

PB Forum :: Downhill
Da Bomb?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Dec 11, 2008 at 5:13 Quote
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=28831

What do people know about these frames and the company? I need a light DH/free ride frame that wont break the bank.

Wont go through Huge punishment but still...

Anyine had any experiance wiht the above?

Posted: Dec 11, 2008 at 6:59 Quote
i bought a Viper frame from chain reaction for a similar price and the bottom bracket thread f*cked up. Obviously its a different company but a similar quality probably. I wasn't too impressed with it in the short time I rode it. It felt dead. Compared to my mythic morphine frame, a hard tail frame cost £450ish, which feels like its going to pull out an Uzi and start shouting "come on you pussy!" at me. I'd never buy a cheap-ish frame again. I reckon for a decent freeride frame you need to spend £400 for a hardtail frame £1000 for a suspension frame minimum. Buy cheap-buy twice 2 cents

Posted: Dec 11, 2008 at 7:08 Quote
try looking for a decent 2nd hand frame

O+
Posted: Dec 11, 2008 at 7:22 Quote
That just looks like a Stab with Horst. Also it calls itself a freeride bike but no chain device tabs? common

Posted: Dec 11, 2008 at 7:37 Quote
Yep, i have!!
Brought that exact frame in Feb, an 18" in black.
all in all i really enjoyed it, did quite a lot of shore riding, hucks and took it to Morzine in the summer.
its handled everything fine, never gave me any problems..... untill i started doing bigger stuff on it that is.
it would have been fine if it wasnt for the ridiculous design of the bolt that connects the bottom of the shock to the frame.
dont know the tech name for the bolt but on one side the bolt was half hollow into which the bolt from the other side threaded into. well you can guess what happened, did a bigish drop, prob about 15ft and the bolt snapped. in doing so it bent the shock and frame mount. so if you do get one change that bolt and it'll be fine.....
just sent it back and i'm waiting to see what happens with the warranty claim!!
all in all i'd say it was great as a startup frame but thats it, dont expect it to last if you start going big.
pic in action!!
photo

Posted: Dec 11, 2008 at 7:46 Quote
Great thanks for the input guys.

And nice to hear from someone that has bought it! I was going to look second hand but I always get so worried about second hand frames. No come back if I snap it in the first week!

As i said i wont be going huge, but im quite good at crashing and going beyond what I can accutaly do!

Posted: Dec 11, 2008 at 7:54 Quote
No probs man, dont want to put anyone off buying one cos for the price its a decent frame with a pretty good shock.
it was my first full susser and cant say my riding style was smooth so it did take a really good kicking. The place i ride is a notorious bike killer but if i had replaced that bolt it would prob still be going now!!

FL
Posted: Dec 11, 2008 at 8:08 Quote
HoldenBurn1000 wrote:
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=28831

What do people know about these frames and the company? I need a light DH/free ride frame that wont break the bank.

Wont go through Huge punishment but still...

Anyine had any experiance wiht the above?

light, cheap, strong - pick two.

Posted: Dec 11, 2008 at 8:20 Quote
A frame for some light dh use.

Not as in weight.

Confused

Posted: Dec 11, 2008 at 8:22 Quote
NorXedd wrote:
No probs man, dont want to put anyone off buying one cos for the price its a decent frame with a pretty good shock.
it was my first full susser and cant say my riding style was smooth so it did take a really good kicking. The place i ride is a notorious bike killer but if i had replaced that bolt it would prob still be going now!!

Cheers for the input man. Got any more pics of it fully built up?

Posted: Dec 11, 2008 at 8:45 Quote
dug some out.... only phone pics so soz for the quality.
bear in mind this was the 18" so 16" has a lower top tube!

photo

photo

Posted: Dec 11, 2008 at 8:55 Quote
Certainly looks the part!

Oh i was i had more cash and could afford a demo Frown Frown

Posted: Dec 11, 2008 at 10:30 Quote
I have one, not had it long but i really like it, as do all my mates, its very quick at changing direction and handles very well, i love the way it ride to be fair.
Seems a well made frame and very good for the money, so far!

photo

Posted: Dec 22, 2008 at 8:08 Quote
Little update...

sent my broken frame back to CRC just over a week ago..... new one turned up today!!

all i can say is 10/10 for warranty service... unfortunately i've already replaced it with a new rig.....Confused

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.020433
Mobile Version of Website