DH/4X - The Weight Game.

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
DH/4X - The Weight Game.
O+
Posted: Mar 25, 2009 at 6:00 Quote
ciszewski wrote:
Exactly what does a spacer do? Is it just the same as moving the pre-load spacer to accomodate the spring?

I don't understand how a spacer can reduce spring bind. Please edumicate me Big Grin

As long as you can get the preload ring on the spring OK the spacer wouldn't help.

If you're out of thread on the shock body, then the spacer would make a difference. I might have worded that a little better ... you have it, no need for edumication today!

O+
Posted: Mar 25, 2009 at 8:00 Quote
Muttley wrote:
Roll on a 40, its proven, the new boxxer, and dorado, are both unproven. look at the totem at first release, and well, look at manitous reliability generally.

Dude. You actually think the new Boxxer is unproven?! Do you live under a rock?! Let's see . . . how many race wins does that fork have already? A lot. A whole bunch. How long have the sponsored riders been riding that fork? A long time. A very long time.

Posted: Mar 25, 2009 at 8:08 Quote
Hombre3000 wrote:
Muttley wrote:
Roll on a 40, its proven, the new boxxer, and dorado, are both unproven. look at the totem at first release, and well, look at manitous reliability generally.

Dude. You actually think the new Boxxer is unproven?! Do you live under a rock?! Let's see . . . how many race wins does that fork have already? A lot. A whole bunch. How long have the sponsored riders been riding that fork? A long time. A very long time.

a very long time?

how many riders are on the blackbox program? 5-6? and they had it for the 2008 season

just because they don't have any problems with it doesn't mean it's going to be as flawless for standard users, they're not as smooth, they don't pick lines as well and are alot more likely to make mistakes and not do as much maintenance as it really needs and you don't have a mechanic team when you get to the bottom of the hill everytime you finish a run either (i hope)

im not denying its going to feel good or it's going to be a good fork, but it's still going to be 1st generation and its going to have problems, where as the 40 is proven with many years to iron out little flaws

Posted: Mar 25, 2009 at 8:21 Quote
Didn't really mean to start a discussion on fork performance and reliability. Could most likely throw a blanket over the top of the line forks from the four major companies in terms of performance. Reliability is always like playing Russian Roulette, just with some companies the gun has more bullets. I am by no means a professional racer, it's just fun. I liked the larger stanchions on the new Boxxer and the weight was a plus, but I'm not missing the start of our season. Seems like more and more companies are unable to meet their own release dates.

Posted: Mar 25, 2009 at 11:32 Quote
ciszewski wrote:
Exactly what does a spacer do? Is it just the same as moving the pre-load spacer to accomodate the spring?

bigquotesI don't understand how a spacer can reduce spring bind.
Please edumicate me Big Grin

It cant... Whomever said that doesnt understand what they're saying. The ONLY thing that prevents coil bind is a coil that has more travel than needed... That's my biggest beef with 'Obtanium'... they try to pass off a 2.75 coil as a 3 by using a spacer and sticking you with 2.82" of travel instead of 3... and, yes, I did actually measure one.

Posted: Mar 25, 2009 at 11:41 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
ciszewski wrote:

It cant... Whomever said that doesnt understand what they're saying. The ONLY thing that prevents coil bind is a coil that has more travel than needed... That's my biggest beef with 'Obtanium'... they try to pass off a 2.75 coil as a 3 by using a spacer and sticking you with 2.82" of travel instead of 3... and, yes, I did actually measure one.

obtaniums are designed so you don't get coil bind with whatever stroke youre using, which is why they use spacers for 3" shocks

you're not losing travel

O+
Posted: Mar 25, 2009 at 11:49 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
ciszewski wrote:

It cant... Whomever said that doesnt understand what they're saying.

The whomever reworded what he meant, it's all good.

And the spring actually has about a 1/4 inch longer free length than the stock spring so I'm all good, hopefully going to get it shipped tomorow if all goes well.

Posted: Mar 25, 2009 at 15:36 Quote
Let's talk cassette lockrings. Anyone have a SRAM PG-970 or 990 cassette that they want to throw a magnet at? Looking through the catalogue, it didn't indicate which lockrings were steel and which were aluminum. Twould be much appreciated.

Posted: Mar 25, 2009 at 15:37 Quote
crs-one wrote:
Let's talk cassette lockrings. Anyone have a SRAM PG-970 or 990 cassette that they want to throw a magnet at? Looking through the catalogue, it didn't indicate which lockrings were steel and which were aluminum. Twould be much appreciated.
ssssure ill try right now

Posted: Mar 25, 2009 at 15:39 Quote
actually just ralized i have to take shit apart and i dont hav time rite now
maybe later

O+
Posted: Mar 25, 2009 at 15:46 Quote
crs-one wrote:

Not magnetic, I can weigh her later if you want, but have some dumb eng h/w right now.

Edit; and oh yeah it's the pg970 11-21, so not the DH one.

Posted: Mar 25, 2009 at 15:58 Quote
crs-one wrote:
It's steel. I just put a magnet to it (970)

O+
Posted: Mar 25, 2009 at 16:03 Quote
What cassette do you have? Is it the DH version? 11-26 I believe...

By anychance do you know what year it is?

Posted: Mar 25, 2009 at 16:06 Quote
ciszewski wrote:
What cassette do you have? Is it the DH version? 11-26 I believe...

By any chance do you know what year it is?
Its not a DH, but I can do that one too in a bit. I am guessing it is and 07 cassette.

Posted: Mar 25, 2009 at 16:06 Quote
crs-one wrote:
Just check if it is anodized or painted/powdercoated. Steel can't be anodized.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.016892
Mobile Version of Website