Your most annoying customer and why.

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Your most annoying customer and why.
Author Message
Posted: Mar 12, 2016 at 18:25 Quote
gnarbar wrote:
so you take your car to an independent auto shop for a new clutch. they install it, you pay and drive away. it doesn't change gear

you think that's ok?

you didn't tell them to make sure it shifts gears

you understand now? probably not, because you work in a bike shop and think it's ok to do half a job or crap on paying customers

it's impossible to debate with people who can only see one side of the story


I see both sides of this story... Did you not read all of the original poster's comment? They repeatedly asked the customer if he was willing to pay to have the shifting adjusted. He declined to have that service done.
Your example would only be the same situation of the auto shop repeatedly asked me if I wanted the car to shift once they installed the new parts and then I declined to have that service done.
The customer repeatedly elected to not have the derailleur set up, he just wanted the chain and cassette installed (sounds like he didn't have a chain tool or locking tool). Your example does nothing to challenge the original story.

Posted: Mar 12, 2016 at 18:32 Quote
gnarbar wrote:
lol "anti LBS nut" - I spent way too many years defending the LBS model and ultimately wasting thousands personally supporting LBS. even to my own financial detriment. reading this thread shows me exactly why it was a pointless exercise

If you were "wasting thousands" why didn't you stop after the first hundred?

Posted: Mar 12, 2016 at 22:29 Quote
gnarbar wrote:
in all fairness to the customer if you fit a new derailleur it takes a pro mechanic 2 mins to set up the shifting (like 26 cents labour) so why not do the job and have a happy customer. its not a full tune up so maybe just do it and save your day from another ranting customer

probs with LBS is too much bitching about bitching customers, too much Cheeto supersize pack binge eating, and not enough just getting on with doing the job. no surprise that the LBS business model of child labour and stupid markups is going down the shitter
1) You expect a pro mechanic to work for $6 an hour?

2) markup isn't nearly what you think it is.

3) don't expect shit for free, it's a business not a charity.

Posted: Mar 13, 2016 at 11:01 Quote
yo13bo wrote:
1) You expect a pro mechanic to work for $6 an hour?

2) markup isn't nearly what you think it is.

3) don't expect shit for free, it's a business not a charity.

This.

1) Totally ignores the price of the tools, the unit they lease or own, the cost of running the business, and etc. Totally ignorant as to why it costs what it does. I don't get paid what the shop charges, because I am not the only thing in the shop.

2) Bingo.

3) Should go without saying. You can buy stuff online for a discount, don't expect a business to install it for free. Works the same way in-shop as well. Buy everything you want. If you want it installed? We'll talk a deal on the parts and then charge a small labour fee. When I have six other customers waiting for my time, I cannot just do things for free. If you want to bite into someone else's time, that's fine, pay for it.

Posted: Mar 13, 2016 at 12:46 Quote
any triathlete that walked in

Posted: Mar 13, 2016 at 13:07 Quote
most shops or the one I usually work in, depends on the mechanic jobs to exist, we are not going to do anything for free... well maybe a gears adjust for a friend who is a great customer and behaves well at the shop and if the shop is slow.

but still is the biggest income for most.

if we are going to change drivetrain components on a bike, we would charge the gear adjust in the total.

still, some people want stuff big stuff for free and now and that attitude is what would get a no, same thing than if a dickhead with superiority complex goes from behind a counter and treat you like shit. (Not for anyone on here, but apply for anything retail)

Posted: Mar 13, 2016 at 13:28 Quote
just like any business, shops create their own culture. I was at a high end shop for 10 yrs. very wealthy customer base. we treated everyone the same and no favoritism whether you were first time tube buyer or $8k blinglespeed regular. wrenches or sales guys never felt pressure to have to cater to anyone. just depends what you create. everyone ends up being respectful = more beers dropped off

Posted: Mar 13, 2016 at 13:45 Quote
Although i've now changed career path, one of my worst was a guy who would come in regularly just to try and beg/mooch old parts from our trash. Why he wanted worn out parts was beyond me. Anyway this guy stank to high heaven of puke/piss..the blast radius on him enveloped the entire shop. Facepalm

Posted: Mar 13, 2016 at 13:48 Quote
Shiny-side-up wrote:
Although i've now changed career path, one of my worst was a guy who would come in regularly just to try and beg/mooch old parts from our trash. Why he wanted worn out parts was beyond me. Anyway this guy stank to high heaven of puke/piss..the blast radius on him enveloped the entire shop. Facepalm

haha. we had a roadie who would come in when we just opened to destroy our restroom. we eventually put "out of service" sign when we saw him outside. we also had a cat lady who parked by our dumpster a lot. nice enough but creepy cuz cat lady. she'd sometimes have a dozen or so cats in her car

Posted: Mar 13, 2016 at 13:52 Quote
I was once asked if we sold used brake blocks.

What.

Sort your life out, seriously.

Posted: Mar 13, 2016 at 13:54 Quote
fullbug wrote:
Shiny-side-up wrote:
Although i've now changed career path, one of my worst was a guy who would come in regularly just to try and beg/mooch old parts from our trash. Why he wanted worn out parts was beyond me. Anyway this guy stank to high heaven of puke/piss..the blast radius on him enveloped the entire shop. Facepalm

haha. we had a roadie who would come in when we just opened to destroy our restroom. we eventually put "out of service" sign when we saw him outside. we also had a cat lady who parked by our dumpster a lot. nice enough but creepy cuz cat lady. she'd sometimes have a dozen or so cats in her car

I like your style!

Posted: Mar 13, 2016 at 14:15 Quote
we didn't have a choice. we'd all had a turn cleaning and disinfecting!

Posted: Mar 13, 2016 at 14:34 Quote
Got one.

Had a gentleman come in for a bike tune. He was kinda staggering around and looked drunk. Weird, red flag, etc.

"Hey man, can I bring in some bikes for tunings?"

"Yeah man. Unfortunately we're pretty backlogged right now, so won't be able to see it until next week. How many bikes did you have?"

"Five!"

"Oh, very sorry, we don't currently have room for that many bikes in shop, we're pretty full up."

Eye roll. "Uh. Fine. What other shop would you recommend."

"There's another shop down the road at XYZ and XYX. They're awesome."

"In the future, if you don't want to work on someone's bike, just say so, don't waste time."

Okay. Flabbergasted.

"Nononono, I'd love to, I just currently don't have room. If you brought it in next weekend we'd be able to get it going!"

"I'm on vacation for three weeks, how would I drop it off?"

"Well, didn't know that. Can't really help you there man. Sorry."

"Alright, time waster."

And leaves the store.

Sent my buddy a text to warn him of the dude coming in.

Whoops. I messed up. Turns out he's not open today. Could have gone to the parking lot to warn him, but uh, he seemed to have too much time on his hands. Wink

Posted: Mar 13, 2016 at 14:43 Quote
Shiny-side-up wrote:
Although i've now changed career path, one of my worst was a guy who would come in regularly just to try and beg/mooch old parts from our trash. Why he wanted worn out parts was beyond me. Anyway this guy stank to high heaven of puke/piss..the blast radius on him enveloped the entire shop. Facepalm

He was probably one of those things called an 'artist'.

No i'm not talking about the people who are genuinely talented. I'm talking about those quiffy haired, hipster clowns that throw shit on a table, weld it together and claim its a chicken sculpture.

Posted: Mar 13, 2016 at 16:21 Quote
gnarbar wrote:
so you take your car to an independent auto shop for a new clutch. they install it, you pay and drive away. it doesn't change gear

you think that's ok?

you didn't tell them to make sure it shifts gears

you understand now? probably not, because you work in a bike shop and think it's ok to do half a job or crap on paying customers

it's impossible to debate with people who can only see one side of the story

I see your argument but it's kind of apples and oranges. After installing a clutch there isn't really any post-adjustments for a car. Clutch, necessary bearings, pressure plate etc and fluids are done as part of that kind of "install".

I recently, actually just yesterday, had my lower balljoints + sway bar links swapped out - for any car guy here, changing anything on suspension like that especially when removing spindles, it's highly recommended you do an alignment after.

Mechanic said after installing these parts, you will need an alignment, it is $XX.XX do you want it? Well yes, of course, or else my car would probably drive sideways, or just not correctly at all.

I did not expect them to throw in an alignment just because the work they did made it necessary to do one... I couldn't go back and say "hey my car is driving sideways what gives? New parts... all this money.. should work but it doesn't!"...

I'd say I'm comparing apples to pears here but still, I see it as 6 of one or half a dozen of the other. Some mechs might say sure I'll adjust your shit when I put a new X on, some will want $ because, well, it cost $ for service. That's why they exist - to work for/perform work for $.


 
Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.019917
Mobile Version of Website