Your most annoying customer and why.

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Your most annoying customer and why.
Posted: Mar 16, 2016 at 0:28 Quote
I honestly cannot stand when a couple comes in and make is a dickbag. Stuck in 2005 back when he wore white Oakley gas cans and blasted sublime and they are trying to buy a bike for her. But won't let her talk. He just interjects like he's running interference for her, so she doesn't get sold a bag of rocks. f*ck me I hate that shit.

Couple comes in today. He waves me down like a child (I'm literally walking towards him, they have just entered the store, I waited a few moments for them to stop at the bike section) says he looking for a bike, but something simple, nothing too expensive. I ask what too expensive is, he says $700 max. We have one bike under $700. I keep asking if the bike for him, or for her. Keeps saying "for me, for me, doesn't matter". Finally get it out of him that is actually for her. So I then turn to her to ask her what she wants to use it for. They want to do these three big off road bikepacking trips here in New Zealand.

Well a 26" wheeled $555 Liv Enchant isn't exactly going to fit that bill. Show them something in $1300 range. "This is all bullshit, very skeptical there's anything different between these bikes" point the ENVE'd Nomad we have which being in NZ is $15k. But he keeps interjecting himself between me and her.

She ends up saying she wants full suspension, 27.5" wheels and not sold on 1x11 and thinks she wants to go 2x10 for bikepacking. It was crazy to me how informed she was and yet she's married to this twat. Who has the balls to say (right after she told me she wanted 27.5) that she can't keep up to him on his 26" because it's the best. But said it in such an belittling way towards his wife. f*ck it was gross.

I mention how carrying stuff on full suspension is tricky. Have to use a seatpost mounted option and that the rack styles kinda blow as they don't really fit paniers. He goes off on this hair brained scheme to strap some 2X4's to the rack to make it wider like a bike shelf. I at this point unable to keep my usual composure. Just asked if he was being serious. Like was he having me on or is this real life. He calls me some names and storms away like a toddler. She stayed back and we talked about a few more bikes and some seat bags and pannier options. Just blew me away how retarded that guy was. Treating everyone like shit, doesn't know a thing, and yet she's the polar opposite. Was super weird.

TLBig Grin R can't stand it when the intended user isn't able to speak freely because of some guardian/spouse/expert friend. Especially when it spousal.

Posted: Mar 16, 2016 at 8:44 Quote
Had that the opposite way around the other day.

Dude is looking for a bike, brings wife. Dude ends up trying a bike, wife ends up trying 5. Every time he asked a question, like "how do I index these shifters?" she would interject. "Oh that's how you shift on that? How dumb. I like finger shifters. I have them on my bike. I like them a lot." Every sentence was either about her, or putting down something. She sabotaged the f*ck out of the husbands chance of getting any info, started getting pushy about trying bikes about twice the price of what would really work for her, then said they'd want to look around more.

So. Very. Narcissistic.

Posted: Mar 16, 2016 at 8:53 Quote
we would get engineers from nasa with their laptops showing me aerodynamic data between zipp and mavic hoops. they usually had very condescending tones when speaking...always at you and not to you and then wanna haggle for an hour on price.

Posted: Mar 16, 2016 at 13:02 Quote
I usually tell these customers that they must know more then me and that I'm of no help and start to slowly walk away, usually they realize they ACTUALLY need my help and shut the hell up with their non-sense!

Posted: Mar 22, 2016 at 16:31 Quote
[Quote="drudej"]
gnarbar wrote:
davemud wrote:
Had another just recently.

Guy comes in wants to buy tools we don't have in stock to swap his chain and cassette. He doesn't want to wait so I sell him on having us do it. He says ok. I check the bike and recommend a tune up while the manger creates a WO. He says no and I head back downstairs to the current repair on the stand.

From above I hear the discussion continue and when the bike comes down I'm specifically told as instructed by the customer to only swap the cassette and chain. Ignore/close your eyes to everything else so that's what I do. It sounds like the guy will do the rest himself, even buys some brake pads to install himself.

Guy comes back a few days later complaining about the shifting... I say hey I remember this bike, specifically told not to do anything but swap the parts, lets see what the WO says... it confirms my memory.

I explain as you instructed i only swaped the parts for you.

"yes but it should shift right with new parts"

...We explained to you that adjusting the shifting was extra and you told us several times not to do it...

"yes but it should be right with new parts"

This is why we recommended a tune up and explained it several times but you said no

"yes I know but I want it to be right"

I do too sir and I can adjust it for you now for the price we quoted you before.

" but I don't want to pay"

So another customer who wants something for nothing... I wonder if he does that at the grocery store and the gas station.

in all fairness to the customer if you fit a new derailleur it takes a pro mechanic 2 mins to set up the shifting

Wish I saw this sooner, obviously the labour to install a new derailleur includes adjusting it. A pro mechanic would know it takes 2 minutes to set a new derailleur up if there are no other problems like a damaged cable and housing, damaged hanger huge dirty mess or malfunctioning shifter. Correcting any of those issues is extra time, maybe extra parts and therefore extra cost.

Try reading the posts before you respond and stop being a whiny customer in the mechanic's lounge.

Posted: Mar 25, 2016 at 19:23 Quote
[Quote="davemud"]
drudej wrote:
gnarbar wrote:

in all fairness to the customer if you fit a new derailleur it takes a pro mechanic 2 mins to set up the shifting

Wish I saw this sooner, obviously the labour to install a new derailleur includes adjusting it. A pro mechanic would know it takes 2 minutes to set a new derailleur up if there are no other problems like a damaged cable and housing, damaged hanger huge dirty mess or malfunctioning shifter. Correcting any of those issues is extra time, maybe extra parts and therefore extra cost.

Try reading the posts before you respond and stop being a whiny customer in the mechanic's lounge.
This^ , seeing Gnar get shut down so many times made my day... guy is a f*cking whiny douche. On every thread. You can quote me on that. All hail the queen!

Posted: Mar 27, 2016 at 12:43 Quote
This guy wasn't annoying, felt bad for him if anything.

Came in saying his drivetrain just made so much grinding noise. Cycle it through, yep, is making a racket.

Ask the dude what he's been using to lubricate, assuming something sticky is being used.

Nope, turns out the dude was using carbon beaded grease as he had been told "it's for use on carbon bikes."

Nothing was damaged, or even worn, but boy oh boy that sucked.

Posted: Sep 16, 2016 at 16:36 Quote
subscribed.... so I won't be that guy. Big Grin

Posted: Sep 16, 2016 at 23:10 Quote
Sad. Moved away from Toronto and the new shop doesn't get nearly as many crazies.

Had someone upset the other day as he asked for a quote on a derailleur, was told $25 and install charge, and we'd also want to check the state of his chain. Brings the bike in the next day. Chain and cassette are pooched. We say we can get it all done for around $75 (Chain, cassette, derailleur, install). He gets upset as this isn't the original quote. Demands we put the derailleur on anyway; and for no additional charge. We say the system won't work correctly if we just toss on the new derailleur, and obviously that will still have an install charge. Got really indignant.

He yelled something about refusing to stay in the shop and argue. He was then told it would be that price or he could go elsewhere, to which he continued to stay in the shop and argue.

Think that's the worst one in three months though, and it was hardly an issue, moreso silly. Dude wasn't really rude so much as frustrated and kinda aloof.

Posted: Sep 17, 2016 at 3:28 Quote
I've been on a relatively clean streak as well. Nice lady brought in some old icebreaker clothes on yesterday asking for if they still made these particular models of clothes.

We put them on the counter to deduce what exactly she's got and she's says to me "well they're wool" thought that was pretty funny since everything they make is wool. Followed up by a lady asking how big a size small glove was.

Posted: Sep 17, 2016 at 4:50 Quote
one of my most memorable...had a guy wanting a big saddle for his "big"wife. I jokingly said "well, exactly how big is her butt?". without missing a beat he puts his hands palms down on his face and muffles "this big". nice. I gave him 10% off.

Posted: Sep 17, 2016 at 23:35 Quote
That's excellent.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.019506
Mobile Version of Website