Anyone from the UK done a trip to whistler/les gets (or similar), how easy was it and what sort of price range?

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
Anyone from the UK done a trip to whistler/les gets (or similar), how easy was it and what sort of price range?
  • Previous Page
O+
Posted: Oct 31, 2007 at 12:53 Quote
Hi, basically what i want to know is how should i go about planning a week or two long holiday to les gets or whistler from the UK, and what sort of costs and other things i should be looking at.

Any comments will be appreciated greatly.

Pimp

Posted: Oct 31, 2007 at 12:57 Quote
Im going to les get in the summer for a week and then down to chamonix. prices depend on if your driving or flying? Camping or a hotel? and when your going?
last year when 3 of us went to chamonix for 10 days, we camped and drove, it was just under £1000 for the 3 of us.
Hope thats helps!

O+
Posted: Oct 31, 2007 at 13:00 Quote
cheers thanks, anymore comments will be appreaciated

Posted: Oct 31, 2007 at 13:01 Quote
yo man, im in the same situation. i wanna go for a week but dont rally know anything tbh.

Posted: Oct 31, 2007 at 13:03 Quote
if you go to france i'd go to morzine because the best trail is there, plus if you get a storm come through and the lifts close, and your're in les gets, you get to go down the road to morzine which takes 5 mins, if you are in morzine and have to get to les gets it's 30 mins up the road, so you'll get soaked. I'd take your own bike, it cost's loads to hire.

Posted: Oct 31, 2007 at 13:10 Quote
France is obviously way cheaper. You cant compare the two in terms of price.

I drove to dover, got off at calais and drove to les gets this year. I think the ferry was £40 return and it cost about £150 in petrol and toll charges to get there. It's easy, from south east england the French alps are about 800 miles, more than doable in one drive without stopping. We set off at 4:00pm and arrived in les gets at about 7:00am the next morning.

But be warned if you drive, my clutch went on a mountain road in les get and had to get my car towed to a french garage. No car for 5 days and a £750 bill.

You can do it cheaply whether you fly or drive for £600 - £800. I dont know how far that'd get you in canada. But of course canada has much more to ride, so if you can afford it, hit up BC.

Mod
Posted: Oct 31, 2007 at 13:14 Quote
The traveling part of a bike trip is a breeze. It is paying for it that is the burden! You will need airfare, accommodations for your stay, food, lift tickets to go riding, and some miscellaneous money for the bars and whatever other fun things you want to do other than riding. Hotels are pricey in Whistler as it is a resort town. Four star hotels are around $400-$500 Canadian a night, airfare from the UK to Vancouver will set you back well over $1000 Canadian for economy and a lot more for executive class, food will probably be $15-$25 a meal depending where you eat as you are paying for the convenience of eating right on the mountain, lift tickets are $30 a day for an adult but you can get multi-day passes that will knock the price down a little depending on how much you ride and nightclubs/bars are fairly expensive and bottles of domestic beer go for around $5 so you are looking at a pretty expensive trip. However, there is one good thing about a trip to Canada versus Les Gets is that the Pound is worth almost double what the Canadian Dollar is so you are probably going to get your monies worth over in Canada rather than using the Euro.

O+
Posted: Oct 31, 2007 at 13:16 Quote
well obviously we'd split the cost evenly between us, i think about 6 of us would go

Posted: Oct 31, 2007 at 13:20 Quote
Its Crazy expensive to stay on the mountain itself so it best to stay in a motel at the bottom

FL
Posted: Oct 31, 2007 at 13:24 Quote
this is a cool thread and will keep looking at as i wouldnt mind knowing the same information. from what ive heard its easier to drive to france and places like les gets as you can take your own bikes and also save on flight costs and taxi's etc etc.
and another way to make it cheaper is get more people goin that way you can splite costs way more.
As for canada would be amazing to go and the only thing i would go through is an actual company who can do all the hardwork like flights accomondation etc as it can be very hard to organise.
ANT

FL
Posted: Oct 31, 2007 at 13:25 Quote
oh yea an who has camped rather than hotelled it?
what do you do wth the bikes and are there camping areas near biking resorts? sounds like a cheap and dirty way to live the dirty week of biking.
ANT

O+
Posted: Oct 31, 2007 at 13:35 Quote
well i have been to france for a few years now and this year i went end of july driving down and it cost about £700 this included 2 weeeks in a chalet (based on 5 sharing) £130 up wards for a chalet in the middle of morzine (hunt around).
In the way of travel driving is expensive depends how many you have in the car you will need about £100 petrol and £60 for tolls each way, also the ferry travel at unsociable times it's cheaper.
i then ate out most nights but of course this is unnecessary, i just do it because it's a holiday after all.
Also a lift pass £40for a week £50 for 2 weeks
i also had to buy sum spares whilst out there but i also bought tubes a rear tire and brake pads over here first which i havn't included in the £700.
2 weeks is better because it will rain and you will miss at least one days riding, most of the cost is travel and lifts pass's are so much cheaper for 2 weeks, in 2 weeks you will get a solid week of good decent riding with weather and tracks being tidied up.
also visit chatel there is some good riding there it takes a while to get there but worth the trip epsecialy if you can make 2 weeks.
You can do it pretty cheap but camping is just as much as a chalet and have a back up funds in case something big brakes.

hope it helps, sorry but have not done whislter yet though i does look good and is meant to be better than france but flying is expensive, i have heard of bikes being crushed on planes.

Posted: Oct 31, 2007 at 13:44 Quote
ive been there twice, the first time i booked an appartment with an english company and ended up paying £250 each (2 of us) for appartment quite a way out of les gets. The second time we booked an apprtment through a french company, i think it was called mediavacances (pretty useful) and cost 4 of us £180 each for 3 weeks right at the base of the plenney lift which couldnt have got much better, if you go self catering and shop around and are willing to do a little bit of french research then you can get an absolute bargain. we drove both times, the second time costing about £40 each (4 of us) so thats not too bad plus it is quite useful to have a car when your there. the only thing i would say is if you do go then do take some spares mechs, chains, tubes etc as the french shops close at weird times and its annoying waiting for them if you want to ride in the middle of the day.
not sure about canada, seems like a lot of hassle and money when there are a lot of tracks in the morzine/les gets/chatel area

Posted: Nov 5, 2007 at 8:19 Quote
i went to whistler from london stayed in a hotel in the top village and got free 1st class british airways flights Pimp

Posted: Nov 6, 2007 at 2:47 Quote
i got to whistler every year if possible (2004, 2005 and 2007 so far)

this year we went in August for 7 days and it cost around GBP£1100 for Zoom Air flights from london with bikes, transfer from Vancouver to Whistler and back, accomodation with ticket2ride, 6 day lift passes and 1 day of shuttling on the North Shore...plus about another £200 for eating out in evenings, spare parts, etc.

well worth it..blows france out the water if you like freeride, and a much broader range of trails to suit all tastes whether DH, FR, DJ or XC

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011096
Mobile Version of Website