Opec is screwing us over !

PB Forum :: Social / Political Issues
Opec is screwing us over !
Posted: Dec 18, 2008 at 17:40 Quote
just wait a few weeks/months it will be really high again.

Posted: Dec 21, 2008 at 16:37 Quote
Whatever, we're rich enough as is. High gas prices are the best thing that ever happened to us; it's forcing us to be more economical/frugal, which is good, and also forcing us to look into alternative fuels, which will end this 19th century energy source which has had such terrible effects on the world (the foreign policies of many nations being decided based on this one resource).
OPEC is going down regardless, Russia is taking over the oil market.

O+
Posted: Dec 26, 2008 at 21:50 Quote
skatejunkie wrote:
Personally I could care less for the countries that thrive on high oil prices, they are corrupt for the most part.

Ya!! F*ck Canada.

Oh wait....

And big oil propping up the economy? Bailing out the banks and auto sector? I assume that you all must be too young to recognize that oil and gas is a boom and bust industry. If they weren't making record profits last year, they are not surviving this year, that is the way it is in a boom or bust industry. Oil companies are businesses. The point of businesses is to make money. You go ahead and try and convince the shareholders of these publicly traded companies they are responsible for propping up the remainder of the economy. Good luck.

And OPEC is not screwing over North America. With oil at $38 a barrel, the oil sands (which are the driver of Canada's economy right now) are not profitable. (Laurie - not profitable or barely profitable??). If oil continues to drop, watch the Canadian economy crumble. Now I know there are two countries in North America, but I am less familiar with the US economy, so I will stick to Canadian examples.

There is no reason oil should have been at $140 a barrel, just as now there is no way it should be at $38 a barrel. What OPEC is trying to do is keep it in the $70 range which is reasonable, and consistent with the laws of supply and demand.

And SignorVince2, I could not agree more. Everyone knows OPEC will not successfully make 30% production cuts.

Mod
Posted: Dec 26, 2008 at 22:32 Quote
When the extraction costs exceed those of the price that consumers pay, companies will scale back operations as it is too costly to keep them there when demand is low. The oil fields just laid off thousands of workers as the prices have dropped, there is less demand, and people aren't using as much gas as before. There is a reason why there is $12 billion in projects in the Alberta oil field for refinery equipment that was put on hold indefinitely. If oil was still in excess of $100 a barrel, there would be a ton of jobs, the economy would work itself out, and we would be better overall. Provinces like Alberta are feeling this pinch. For every dollar oil drops, we are losing millions of dollars in annual revenue.

O+
Posted: Dec 27, 2008 at 10:47 Quote
I still think that Oil companies should be propping up the auto sector...after all it is the oil companies that leaned on the car makers to make sure they did not make car too efficient and they are the ones behind all the conspiricies of things like the Carburator that could get 100mpg and the 100 year battery...have you noticed that just recently the car makers product has gotten all the sudden more green and just wait till they come around the corner with this "new super green answer" which I would bet my left nut they have had for ages. The people want green and the car makers need sales to survive. As a matter a fact I think that big oil should be proping everything up...after oil goes into everything we buy.

F*ck oil companies, F*ck the polititions and F*ck the Rich, especially the ones that can't ride a bike....too bad though that the lower and middle class, the class that the majority of the tax dollars will come from to bail out the rich, greedy and the a$$holes.

When the Sh!t really hits the fan, it won't matter how much money you have or where you live. Once the economies are nothing but dust the playing field will be level, the rich will be so scared for their lives and safety that there will be no place to hide. They will be one of us and it will be ugly....don't believe me, you'll get your chance to watch it with your own eyes in the next 4 years.

Oh and another thing I hate is comments from douch bags that have never seen a well head or BOP's, I worked in this sector for 5 years and I have seen the enviromental damage...if you thing Alberta is feeling the pinch now just wait till the toxic levels in Alberta make it impossible to live there due to Cancer and other autoimmune diseases, and this is aldready happening in pockets.

I once asked a Consultant on a lease when they were planning to drill in the BC interior so that they could live there year round at their summer homes....he said "why would we want to f*ck that up" Word for word that was his answer.

I knew the bottom was going to fall out of the Alberta economy, and it hasn't hit bottom yet, not by a long shot.

O+
Posted: Dec 27, 2008 at 18:18 Quote
I disagree with essentially everything you said. However I can see that it is pointless to try and have a rational discussion with you, so I bid you a good day, and good luck with the rest of your life. With that attitude you are certainly going to need it.

O+
Posted: Dec 27, 2008 at 18:58 Quote
Sorry if this makes me sound like a crack pot, never been good at fitting in to the mold of humanity in the 20th and 21st century.

I can have a productive exchange...however I feel that the age of rational thinking and living/thinking inside ones comfort zone is fast approching a end. I value the opinions of others as long as they have experience to back them up and is are not just on the band wagon spounting the party line. As for the rest of my life...I am more prepared then most for the inevitable future, which we will all share. Believe me, I hope I will be wrong, but in a world where little seems to be going right it is hard to be too optimistic. I read the papers, I have poli-sci relatives and have been in the trenches and believe my deepest fears may be true, I have spent a great deal of time thinking about this and it can be maddening, but ultimately has to be addressed. I can't remember the quote from Albert Einstein, but I remember the feeling of regret that jumped from the page about his feelings about the Atom bomb.....That is the feeling I get when I think about the future. We learn from a early age to trust our gut feeling, something we have been doing since the dawn of time, hard to believe that I might be the only one in the world that still uses this method of judgement of events, people or situations. However if I am not...then I am not alone. Or maybe I am and the world is full of people whose primitive systems are overwhelmingly desensitized by technology, all of which won't matter in the future a vast number of us will become like house cats outside...ferrel and instinctual as we try to hold onto our ways of life, culture and lives.

People seldom want to discuss that which makes them uncomfortable...not me, and I don't leave any rock unturned.

As a father it gives me nightmares, however what do you do then?

I get busy preparing. Like the story about the industrious Ant and the lazy Grasshopper.

O+
Posted: Dec 27, 2008 at 22:26 Quote
I have the perfect quote for you, I just wish I could find it. It generally said:

"The end of humanity is near. The air has never been more polluted, the earth seems to be becoming more and more inhospitable, humanity possesses the capability to alter the earth far more than ever before"

The future will bring what the future brings. Humans are an ingenious lot, and I don't believe the future will be any bleaker than the world is today.

I apologize for considering you incapable of rational, reasoned debate.

Oh yeah, the date on that quote? Mid Industrial Revolution (18th-19th Century).

Again, I apologize.

Mod
Posted: Dec 28, 2008 at 1:22 Quote
It is not the oil companies’ fault that the auto industry is failing. Simply put, it is the Big 3’s own fault that they are failing. Look at a similar car made by the Japanese and compare it to the domestics. A Civic starts at around the same price as the Ford Focus but you get a lot more standard features on a Civic than you do with a Focus. We are all human and tend to buy the better deal regardless of who makes it and who you support. People want bang for their buck and the Americans simply can’t keep up with the better made vehicles in Asia. The green revolution has been happening for years but its excessive cost for a hybrid vehicle is just too much for the average consumer. The spare parts for hybrids are more expensive and the technology isn’t well defined yet to gain the consumers trust. Just like with hydrogen cars, who wants to drive a bomb that will explode if you get rear ended? Looking at the numbers, it is only the Americans that are losing a significant amount of sales and have to close plants in order to keep their companies afloat. None of the Asian manufacturers have suspended making cars for a month to my knowledge.

Oil companies are still producing stuff. My brother's friend just got hired at Suncor as part of the legal team and is moving up to Fort Mac within the next month. I have a friend who worked his way up from roughneck to second in command of his rig and he loves every second of it and wouldn't change one thing about what he does or how he lives. So long as Alberta has oil, he will be tapping it! I also know a geologist in the oil field and all of them love what they do. Oil is great and we are thankful for where the dinosaurs died!

Environmental degradation is a consequence of sustaining life. We have to deal with it. I have no problem with oil companies, politicians, or the elite. We cannot blame them for our problems. Politicians serve in the public’s best interest. Corporations are responsible for providing dividends to their shareholders and stakeholders. As for wealthy elite, a lot of them came from very little or nothing at all and made themselves into something their parent’s would be proud of. Income tax for the rich is more than that of the middle class, dollar per dollar but since there are more middleclass than billionaires, the majority of tax money comes from the middle class. A blowout here, a cracked pipe there, some hydrogen sulphide there is just collateral damage in our never ending quest to fulfill demand.

The government will intervene before this “anarchy” occurs. There is no way that they would just stand there and do nothing. They need effective leadership by someone who can straighten the country out without massive opposition. They need total support and control during these tough economic times.

Posted: Dec 28, 2008 at 9:06 Quote
laurie1 wrote:
Politicians serve in the public’s best interest.

I admit it, I laughed. That is all.

O+
Posted: Dec 28, 2008 at 9:11 Quote
laurie1 wrote:
It is not the oil companies’ fault that the auto industry is failing. Simply put, it is the Big 3’s own fault that they are failing. Look at a similar car made by the Japanese and compare it to the domestics. A Civic starts at around the same price as the Ford Focus but you get a lot more standard features on a Civic than you do with a Focus. We are all human and tend to buy the better deal regardless of who makes it and who you support. People want bang for their buck and the Americans simply can’t keep up with the better made vehicles in Asia. The green revolution has been happening for years but its excessive cost for a hybrid vehicle is just too much for the average consumer. The spare parts for hybrids are more expensive and the technology isn’t well defined yet to gain the consumers trust. Just like with hydrogen cars, who wants to drive a bomb that will explode if you get rear ended? Looking at the numbers, it is only the Americans that are losing a significant amount of sales and have to close plants in order to keep their companies afloat. None of the Asian manufacturers have suspended making cars for a month to my knowledge.

Oil companies are still producing stuff. My brother's friend just got hired at Suncor as part of the legal team and is moving up to Fort Mac within the next month. I have a friend who worked his way up from roughneck to second in command of his rig and he loves every second of it and wouldn't change one thing about what he does or how he lives. So long as Alberta has oil, he will be tapping it! I also know a geologist in the oil field and all of them love what they do. Oil is great and we are thankful for where the dinosaurs died!

Environmental degradation is a consequence of sustaining life. We have to deal with it. I have no problem with oil companies, politicians, or the elite. We cannot blame them for our problems. Politicians serve in the public’s best interest. Corporations are responsible for providing dividends to their shareholders and stakeholders. As for wealthy elite, a lot of them came from very little or nothing at all and made themselves into something their parent’s would be proud of. Income tax for the rich is more than that of the middle class, dollar per dollar but since there are more middleclass than billionaires, the majority of tax money comes from the middle class. A blowout here, a cracked pipe there, some hydrogen sulphide there is just collateral damage in our never ending quest to fulfill demand.

The government will intervene before this “anarchy” occurs. There is no way that they would just stand there and do nothing. They need effective leadership by someone who can straighten the country out without massive opposition. They need total support and control during these tough economic times.

Funny...Toyota just announced a roll back in executive pay, guess whats next!

For the rest of it, I just don't think you have a good grip on reality with your head in the clouds so much.

Posted: Dec 28, 2008 at 9:30 Quote
maestroforlife wrote:
Funny...Toyota just announced a roll back in executive pay, guess whats next!

They've also postponed 2 factories and reduced their temporary workforce. What they're doing is taking preemptive measures to put themselves in a better position to deal with a rough next year.

At the same time the Detroit 3 are closing factories, scaling back wages and shipping jobs to other countries in an effort to save what little funds they have left. Although foreign and domestic automotive manufacturers are scaling back costs, they're doing them for different reasons.

Mod
Posted: Dec 28, 2008 at 10:51 Quote
ezekiel wrote:
laurie1 wrote:
Politicians serve in the public’s best interest.

I admit it, I laughed. That is all.

Of course, that was a utopian comment but in every public policy class I have taken, acting in the public's best interest rather than in one's own self-interest is emphasized. However, they should be acting in the public's best interest as they serve the people.

O+
Posted: Dec 28, 2008 at 11:04 Quote
laurie1 wrote:
Just like with hydrogen cars, who wants to drive a bomb that will explode if you get rear ended?

The best bit about current cars is how they are powered by non-flammable, non explosive fuels...

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.009478
Mobile Version of Website