Post your CAD stuff

PB Forum :: Post Your Ride
Post your CAD stuff
Posted: Dec 29, 2008 at 16:51 Quote
ben24 wrote:
post your sketchup models on the 3d warehouse.
+1
and add to dirt street freeride and downhill bikes collection Wink

Posted: Dec 30, 2008 at 9:05 Quote
The detail in your CAD drawings is amazing. Can someone please tell me the best way to do the tube sets in solidworks.

Posted: Dec 30, 2008 at 9:15 Quote
hey where do u download the solid edge program? or could one of you just send it to me ?

thanks mike

Posted: Dec 31, 2008 at 3:16 Quote
x6thgearwideopen wrote:
The detail in your CAD drawings is amazing. Can someone please tell me the best way to do the tube sets in solidworks.
easiest way...
I've found its to extrude a long rectangular profile (your tube) equedistantly either side of the drawing plane so that its thickness is the same as its height, then take half its width and add a radius of this number to all 4 edges, et voila, solid bar; then just extrude a hole through the cylinder (using the end of the cylinder as your drawing plane) to make it into a tube.

This method means all the tubeset can be drawn on the same plane without setting up any angled planes or additional drawing faces.

To join the tubing up at the end, simply delets faces and add radius' e.t.c.

- This method won't work for tapered tubing very well, for that you have the swept extrusion function.

Posted: Dec 31, 2008 at 14:20 Quote
Thanks ctd07. I finally figured out how to do it with the planes after banging my head off some walls. I'll have to give your way a try next time.

Posted: Jan 7, 2009 at 14:37 Quote
thanks to 'aceofspades' and others for bringing to my attention a need to reduce chain-growth! - here's my updated concept which brings chaingrowth down to 55mm at full 8.8" travel.

The seat tube has also been moved forward and slackened to give better saddle clearance.

photo

comments welcome!

Posted: Jan 7, 2009 at 14:42 Quote
Chain growth can be beneficial. Take a look at the Balfa BB7. Very large amounts of chain growth when the suspension was compressed, which led to the bike almost shotting forwards when it landed.

Posted: Jan 7, 2009 at 16:34 Quote
sherbet wrote:
Chain growth can be beneficial. Take a look at the Balfa BB7. Very large amounts of chain growth when the suspension was compressed, which led to the bike almost shotting forwards when it landed.
hmmm yeah! - it was to the point where if the chain wasn't in one of the smallest cassette rings, it could have snapped at full compression if using a short cage derailleur though.

I suppose you could make a bike work like one of those kids toy cars that store energy when you scoot them and then fly off when you put them on the groundtup - just bypass the idle-pulley on my design and I guess you'd get the same results!

Posted: Jan 10, 2009 at 11:06 Quote
i dont go on my computer enough to buy the real bike cad so i just used the free one and made a preatty cool dj bike... il post in a couple mins i just gotta upload it

Posted: Jan 13, 2009 at 18:05 Quote
ctd07 wrote:
x6thgearwideopen wrote:
easiest way...
I've found its to extrude a long rectangular profile (your tube) equedistantly either side of the drawing plane so that its thickness is the same as its height, then take half its width and add a radius of this number to all 4 edges, et voila, solid bar; then just extrude a hole through the cylinder (using the end of the cylinder as your drawing plane) to make it into a tube.

This method means all the tubeset can be drawn on the same plane without setting up any angled planes or additional drawing faces.

To join the tubing up at the end, simply delets faces and add radius' e.t.c.

- This method won't work for tapered tubing very well, for that you have the swept extrusion function.

Definitely not the easiest way... I use Solidworks, and what here's what i do:

1- Choose front plane and draw the bike by its center lines setting all the distances and angles of the frame. Close the sketch.

2- Open a new sketch on the same plane to make the first tube. Convert one of the center lines and offset it to half the OD of the tube, give it a thin feature to set the thickness of the tube.

3- Use the revolve feature to make the tube, choose the center line and then the other 2 so they can revolve around the center.

4- Open a new sketch for each of the other tubes.

5- For the BB or pivot points draw a circle on the front plane and extrude it as Mid-plane (it extrudes the drawing for both sides) setting the BB widht.

6- Finally clean the excess of tubes by selecting the faces of the BB, seat tube and HT, drawing a circle and making a cut to "clean" the unwanted tube ends.

Posted: Jan 13, 2009 at 18:53 Quote
my latest model

photo

photo

photo

photo

Brakeless and gearless

Posted: Jan 13, 2009 at 18:55 Quote
it was origonally this:

photo

photo

Posted: Mar 9, 2009 at 18:54 Quote
photo

photo

Posted: Mar 20, 2009 at 9:40 Quote
photo

All made in Solidworks, with realistic dimensions.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.031208
Mobile Version of Website