sun mtx or sun s-type
  • Previous Page
Posted: Oct 31, 2007 at 16:38 Quote
hey what rim would be better for dirt jumping/freeride

Posted: Oct 31, 2007 at 21:46 Quote
pretty much the same rim ones lighter i forget wich lol

FL
Posted: Nov 1, 2007 at 6:17 Quote
The S-type is cheaper and has a pinned joint, whereas the mtx is welded (stronger). Don't know about the difference in weight - do know they are superb rims, and the first that have managed to prise me away from Mavics...Got an S-type on the back of the DH bike (has lasted ages) and an MTX on my 24 inch bike.

Posted: Nov 1, 2007 at 6:35 Quote
i run mtx on my dirt jumper but they feel kinda heavy, i would go with the s type cuz i think there lighter and have lasted 2 seasons of jumps and mini hucks on my stinky

Posted: Nov 1, 2007 at 7:19 Quote
fallen55 wrote:
i run mtx on my dirt jumper but they feel kinda heavy, i would go with the s type cuz i think there lighter and have lasted 2 seasons of jumps and mini hucks on my stinky

you *think* they're lighter?

if they actually are lighter, i'm not gonna bother with an mtx rear, which was what i was thinking of getting - gonna run s-types on both ends of my bike. plus, the mtx is a 30 dollar premium over the s-type, which is 45 at my lbs.

Posted: Nov 1, 2007 at 8:29 Quote
DONT get a pinned wheel ex. the S-type. They are not near as strong as a welded on. If you want something a little lighter than the mtx get a single track. I love mine.

Posted: Nov 1, 2007 at 8:36 Quote
i had s types on my stinky and not even after 2 seasons they started to come apart at the seems... i have an mtx now and they are sweet... especially since u cna get em in white, orange, and camo

Posted: Nov 1, 2007 at 8:42 Quote
I had Sun MTX rims on my last bike. Flat spotted them on the first ride. Too soft for aggressive riders.

Posted: Nov 1, 2007 at 9:27 Quote
konarrider2007 wrote:
i had s types on my stinky and not even after 2 seasons they started to come apart at the seems... i have an mtx now and they are sweet... especially since u cna get em in white, orange, and camo

white? isn't that new for 08? i'm actually looking for white mtx/s-types...

Posted: Nov 1, 2007 at 15:45 Quote
creamsoda89 wrote:
konarrider2007 wrote:

no dude, the rim its self is 60 dollars american for white camo and orange, and it is 30 for the black... just call up sun rims and buy them directly from them. I sent in my whole wheel payed for the shipping there but they paid for the shipping back

Posted: Nov 1, 2007 at 21:41 Quote
konarrider2007 wrote:
creamsoda89 wrote:
konarrider2007 wrote:

no dude, the rim its self is 60 dollars american for white camo and orange, and it is 30 for the black... just call up sun rims and buy them directly from them. I sent in my whole wheel payed for the shipping there but they paid for the shipping back

i looked again, they're actually winter camo. white isn't available yet, and even if so directly from sun, i'd rather get it through my lbs and not have to worry about customs and duties

FL
Posted: Nov 2, 2007 at 7:45 Quote
tefiii2005 wrote:
I had Sun MTX rims on my last bike. Flat spotted them on the first ride. Too soft for aggressive riders.

Almost certainly down to a poor wheel build or a harsh impact which could flat spot any rim. They're plenty hard enough unless you want to go super heavy duty or charge into stuff with no finesse.

Posted: Nov 2, 2007 at 7:52 Quote
I have 2 seasons on S-types, and they've seen some rocky riding in the eastern B.C. interior. Not a flat spot or wobble to be found. Only minor truing on the front wheel once. I also weigh 255lbs. with all my kit on.
They'll hold if your not a hack about your line choices and you're not constantly hucking to flat. Tire maintenance and pressure play a big role too.

Posted: Nov 2, 2007 at 9:05 Quote
I've got 2 seasons on MTX's, no problems. A bit heavy but well priced and effing tough.

To clear all the differences bullshit, the S-type is the same weight, just not welded. Same rims, except the S-type won't last as long.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.015416
Mobile Version of Website