sun mtx or sun s-type

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
sun mtx or sun s-type
Posted: Nov 2, 2007 at 9:34 Quote
I love the MTX's for Freeriding and general abuse.
I've never ridden the S-Type myself, and I can't say I've seen one destoyed that another rim would have held up.

Posted: Nov 2, 2007 at 9:48 Quote
They are the same rim

The benefits of the MTX are that its welded and it has pich flat protection.
BUT they both crack real easy on hard landings/harsh rocks. however this is a downside i would overlook anyday due to the low weight and nice width.

other options are:
-Halo SAS or Tornado
-DT swiss rims

Posted: Nov 3, 2007 at 22:31 Quote
dt swiss rims are nice dude but they are SOFT... my buddy has the high end ones and his have spots oll over it... diablo reaked havoc on his

Posted: Nov 3, 2007 at 22:56 Quote
fallen55 wrote:
i run mtx on my dirt jumper but they feel kinda heavy, i would go with the s type cuz i think there lighter...

Please don't post unless you know what you're talking about. Th mtx and s-type have Identicle dimentions and Identicle weights, the only difference is that the mtx is welded ans the s-type is pinned.

Mtx rims arn't heavy, they weight 640g which is just under avereage for a freeride/dh rim and their strength to weight ration is amazing. i rum Mtx rims on my bottlerocket and I would definitly recomend them. S-types are good but the mtx's are definitly worth the extra cash to get the welded seam.

Posted: Nov 3, 2007 at 22:57 Quote
i would go for s-type just because they are cheaper.

another question about them. the "s" stands for sleeved does it not?
what does it mean as opposed to welded ones other than the strength difference?

Posted: Apr 18, 2008 at 17:48 Quote
i was told that s-types are just special edition mtx's and the only differance is the sticker on the side but i dont know if that is true or not

Posted: Apr 18, 2008 at 19:34 Quote
some-guy wrote:
i would go for s-type just because they are cheaper.

another question about them. the "s" stands for sleeved does it not?
what does it mean as opposed to welded ones other than the strength difference?

strength diff. is only at the joint, where the rim meets. so if you take hits to the seam on an stype, it would not stand up as much as a hit to the seam on an mtx. that's the only difference.

Posted: Aug 30, 2008 at 23:02 Quote
so could you ever get an s-type welded to become a mtx.. of course with all the sanding and evrything to be done to make the welds wicked smooth.

Posted: Aug 30, 2008 at 23:35 Quote
MTX's are stronger and only a few bucks more, don't cheap out and get the extra strength for the minimal price, Mtx's are stronger (get them built RIGHT) and will last you longer (all depending on how it's BUILT and laced) a shotty laceing will demo any hoop quickly, but a s-type is softer metal i think, because my friend has never flat spoted his mtx's but he trashed a s-type with flatspots, and they were laced the same way with the same type of hubs, so...

MTX. and plus if you wanted you can get them in urban camo or woodland camo, or the stock black.

FL
Posted: Aug 30, 2008 at 23:56 Quote
i had an s-type super solid rim. but the spokes came loose quite a bit. and i dented one. but they held up super solid. mtx is stronger tho

Posted: Aug 30, 2008 at 23:59 Quote
yakrider wrote:
MTX's are stronger and only a few bucks more, don't cheap out and get the extra strength for the minimal price, Mtx's are stronger (get them built RIGHT) and will last you longer (all depending on how it's BUILT and laced) a shotty laceing will demo any hoop quickly, but a s-type is softer metal i think, because my friend has never flat spoted his mtx's but he trashed a s-type with flatspots, and they were laced the same way with the same type of hubs, so...

MTX. and plus if you wanted you can get them in urban camo or woodland camo, or the stock black.
The S-type is av liable in the same colors including pink camo and chrome. the difference is the seem not the material.

Posted: Aug 31, 2008 at 0:05 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:
yakrider wrote:

The S-type is av liable in the same colors including pink camo and chrome. the difference is the seem not the material.
pink and crome must be new.

but still the stype is a pointless way of selling the same hoop built crappyer.

Posted: Aug 31, 2008 at 0:13 Quote
yakrider wrote:
ajax-ripper wrote:
yakrider wrote:

i don't see how? some people prefer a pinned wheel over a weelded one and vice versa

Posted: Aug 31, 2008 at 0:16 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:
yakrider wrote:
ajax-ripper wrote:

i don't see how? some people prefer a pinned wheel over a weelded one and vice versa

the only reason to prefer a crappier seam is cost, there is negligible weight difference.

Posted: Aug 31, 2008 at 0:18 Quote
creamsoda89 wrote:
ajax-ripper wrote:
yakrider wrote:

the only reason to prefer a crappier seam is cost, there is negligible weight difference.
One of the guys at my shop (keith) will not ride welded wheels and anotehr wont ride pinned both of which are because of bad experiences they have had with theese types of seams.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.015270
Mobile Version of Website