Tidy Up Pinkbike

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Tidy Up Pinkbike
  • Previous Page
O+
Posted: Dec 21, 2008 at 7:29 Quote
I'm posting this thread in this forum as it gets the most views.

Pinkbike has the potential to be a really great site, buts its full of shit. How many times have you seen threads like "WAT BIK IZ BETA DA SCOT VOLTGE YZ1 OR DA YZ35" are these people unable to read spec lists? or even look at scotts retail prices, it'll give a pretty good indication of whats better. And how many times have you come to check to forum and found it clogged full of another fifteen "888 or boxxer or 40" threads. honestly there are about fourty of these threads made a day, we only need one, use the search! But one of the things that really gets to me is when you go to the videos section and got to "Produced Videos, longer edited films" went to the Downhill/Freeride section or the dirt jump section and found a six second clip or some thirteen year old on a specialized hard rock or scott voltage doing a drop of a kerb or jumping a two foot long table. when your actually looking for something at least a few minutes long of somebody ripping it down a downhill track or on some north shore.

Also the place is full of thread like "wat bike shuld i by" when its acctually an eleven year old kid from britian whos never gonna buy any of the bikes mentioned. I'm from Scotland so i'm British but i've noticedd it's young British kids who are the people making most of the shitty threads on this website.

So please, just think or use the search before you make your thread.

Posted: Dec 21, 2008 at 7:32 Quote
fortbill wrote:

Pinkbike has the potential to be a really great site, buts its full of shit. How many times have you seen threads like "WAT BIK IZ BETA DA SCOT VOLTGE YZ1 OR DA YZ35" are these people unable to read spec lists? or even look at scotts retail prices, it'll give a pretty good indication of whats better. And how many times have you come to check to forum and found it clogged full of another fifteen "888 or boxxer or 40" threads. honestly there are about fourty of these threads made a day, we only need one, use the search! But one of the things that really gets to me is when you go to the videos section and got to "Produced Videos, longer edited films" went to the Downhill/Freeride section or the dirt jump section and found a six second clip or some thirteen year old on a specialized hard rock or scott voltage doing a drop of a kerb or jumping a two foot long table. when your actually looking for something at least a few minutes long of somebody ripping it down a downhill track or on some north shore.

Also the place is full of thread like "wat bike shuld i by" when its acctually an eleven year old kid from britian whos never gonna buy any of the bikes mentioned. I'm from Scotland so i'm British but i've noticedd it's young British kids who are the people making most of the shitty threads on this website.

you sir are a hypocrit.
i agree with all your points. but this thread of yours has joined the ranks of pointless duplicated threads. if you had bothered to look hard enough there are plenty of topics around this subject.
epic FAIL.
pinkbike needs to be policed better, and all these useless threads should get deleted, but there's just not enough hours in the day or people sensible enough to moderate to deal with the overwhelming idiocy of the majority of the users on this site.

Posted: Dec 21, 2008 at 7:34 Quote
dabomb666 wrote:
fortbill wrote:

you sir are a hypocrit.
i agree with all your points. but this thread of yours has joined the ranks of pointless duplicated threads. if you had bothered to look hard enough there are plenty of topics around this subject.
epic FAIL.
pinkbike needs to be policed better, and all these useless threads should get deleted, but there's just not enough hours in the day or people sensible enough to moderate to deal with the overwhelming idiocy of the majority of the users on this site.
haha

Posted: Dec 21, 2008 at 7:48 Quote
no we needed a thread like this to come along
maybe there should be an age limit or something
so many chaps are on here and the ones with like shogun gatcrashers and shit are the the northern kids i think

buy the way should i buy a dj1 2 or 3
thanks

ok soo that was a joke

Posted: Dec 21, 2008 at 7:56 Quote
lol agree to a certain extent,14 year olds post your rides,next week it will be 15 years old post your ride.

why cant the kids just say,under 16 post your ride.

O+
Posted: Dec 21, 2008 at 9:49 Quote
dabomb666 wrote:
fortbill wrote:

you sir are a hypocrit.
epic FAIL.

yes you are right i am being a hypocrit, and i was thinking that i'd get a reply simillar to yours while i was writing the original post, but i was hoping that because there are other posts like this, the mods might take note of the growing number of these kinda posts and do someting about it.

i think you shoud have to take a bicycle knowledge test before you can post on the pinkbike forums and on pictures and videos

Posted: Dec 21, 2008 at 9:52 Quote
if you don't like it simply don't view the forum, I used to and now I dont really I just look at pics and vids... or just leave the site to another forum where the users are more mature

Posted: Dec 21, 2008 at 10:00 Quote
fortbill wrote:
yes you are right i am being a hypocrit, and i was thinking that i'd get a reply simillar to yours while i was writing the original post, but i was hoping that because there are other posts like this, the mods might take note of the growing number of these kinda posts and do someting about it.

As a small group of users, moderators can only do so much to help out the greater good (20 something moderators over seeing 1000s of users 24/7/365). With a site of this size, we rely heavily on users using the various report functions and sending PMs to moderators when they see something wrong.

My issue with so many of these complaints is that people are far more inclined to post stupid comments within threads rather than do something productive and copy and paste a link and send it to a moderator or even just report the first post. So many times I find older threads that really shouldn't be there, however no one bothered reporting it and no one bothered alerting someone about its existence. Instead they make posts like "use the search" and leave it at that.

I'm not trying to pass the buck here but too many users act like its completely up to the moderators to search out every little problem. If more people did take the time to do the stuff I just mentioned, more can be done about the content of these forums.

Posted: Dec 21, 2008 at 10:03 Quote
ezekiel wrote:
fortbill wrote:

As a small group of users, moderators can only do so much to help out the greater good (20 something moderators over seeing 1000s of users 24/7/365). With a site of this size, we rely heavily on users using the various report functions and sending PMs to moderators when they see something wrong.

My issue with so many of these complaints is that people are far more inclined to post stupid comments within threads rather than do something productive and copy and paste a link and send it to a moderator or even just report the first post. So many times I find older threads that really shouldn't be there, however no one bothered reporting it and no one bothered alerting someone about its existence. Instead they make posts like "use the search" and leave it at that.

I'm not trying to pass the buck here but too many users act like its completely up to the moderators to search out every little problem. If more people did take the time to do the stuff I just mentioned, more can be done about the content of these forums.

you need more international mods,but then again thats like the point you were making as mods have a life also.

i just report stuff now and help best i can.

Posted: Dec 21, 2008 at 10:03 Quote
with all the advertising on this site, surely they have the revenue to hire competent MOD's, I would like to see outright bans, no warnings for anything deemed stupid....you don't have to look to hard to find it, In my opinion this site is a money grab and not much more, I lost all faith when they started putting advertisments as VOD with adds at the bottom and adds at the end, what is that all about? its deffinatly not for the greater good of the site or the sport, I could go on all day, but those who know what I'm saying just know, those who dont, I could type till my fingers bleed and you still wouldn't get it....hopefully things eventually change for the better, rather than this progressive slide downhill to cater to the inbred eliterate 12 year olds

Posted: Dec 21, 2008 at 10:04 Quote
Also, get rid of all the stupid non-biking adverts on the site. like the poxnora crap

Posted: Dec 21, 2008 at 11:22 Quote
vppbikedeefer wrote:
jascha100 wrote:
Also, get rid of all the stupid non-biking adverts on the site. like the poxnora crap

Hahaha, Download the FireFox Web browser from Mozzila.com and find the Add Block Plus add-on and install it. You will never see the ads on any site again.

I never realized how many adds I wasn't seeing until I used Internet Explorer at my buddies house...too many adds on this site IMO.
Wow thanks. I was using firefox but didn't know you could do that.

Posted: Dec 21, 2008 at 11:37 Quote
dazem wrote:
with all the advertising on this site, surely they have the revenue to hire competent MOD's, I would like to see outright bans, no warnings for anything deemed stupid....you don't have to look to hard to find it, In my opinion this site is a money grab and not much more, I lost all faith when they started putting advertisments as VOD with adds at the bottom and adds at the end, what is that all about? its deffinatly not for the greater good of the site or the sport, I could go on all day, but those who know what I'm saying just know, those who dont, I could type till my fingers bleed and you still wouldn't get it....hopefully things eventually change for the better, rather than this progressive slide downhill to cater to the inbred eliterate 12 year olds

you spelt illiterate wrong, how ironic Smile jokes aside, i agree with the issues mentioned Smile

O+
Posted: Dec 21, 2008 at 11:39 Quote
jascha100 wrote:
vppbikedeefer wrote:
jascha100 wrote:

Hahaha, Download the FireFox Web browser from Mozzila.com and find the Add Block Plus add-on and install it. You will never see the ads on any site again.

I never realized how many adds I wasn't seeing until I used Internet Explorer at my buddies house...too many adds on this site IMO.
Wow thanks. I was using firefox but didn't know you could do that.

Your welcome. If the Addblock is missing Adds on your screen, you can right click them, select add block and then hit add filter, apply, OK and it will be gone for good

Posted: Dec 21, 2008 at 11:44 Quote
dazem wrote:

Mods aren't hired. We don't get payed a single penny for our service. It's all volunteer, so the amount of revenue pinkbike brings in from ads doesn't affect how "competent" the mods are. Mods are chosen based on many things, but basically they're chosen based on being very positive and helpful members to the community. Bans are handed out based on our discretion. It's alot more complicated than just outright banning someone with no warnings. The way I(and I think most mods) see it, is that almost every member can become a useful part of the forums. You have to remember that everyone was a "noob" at some point. When I think back to when I first joined pinkbike, I posted ALOT of crap, but I eventually came around and now I'm a mod.

The ads at times are a bit ridiculous, I agree. Just remember that they are for the good of the site. Think of the huge costs just to run this site. The video section alone is probably twice as big as everything on pinkbike before the change in 07. Pinkbike NEEDS advertisements to keep it up and running. If there were no ads, the only other source of income would be from things like clothes and videos. That's not nearly enough revenue to run the site, so pinkbike would most likely charge for membership, which would suck.

There are alot of problems on pinkbike, but there's also alot of good things about it too. Otherwise none of us would be here.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009320
Mobile Version of Website