Suggestions for improving the trials forum.

PB Forum :: Observed Biketrials
Suggestions for improving the trials forum.
Previous Page |
Author Message
Mod
Posted: Dec 21, 2008 at 10:16 Quote
I want to make this trials forum THE place to go for discussing trials in Canada. I know that there are a lot of barriers that we need to overcome, but to overcome those barriers, I need the help of everyone who comes here on a regular basis.

In a friendly and professional manner, let's have a discussion on what we can do to improve the quality of the trials forum. Chronic has already suggested breaking the forum into two sub-forums, one for beginners and one for experienced riders. This will help contain the "newbie" questions to one location, while giving another clean area for the more "experienced" riders can discuss more advanced topics. This is something that I will be discussing with the other administrators, but before I request a meeting, I want to get a feel for what you guys want in this forum and how we can make it better.

Any ideas or suggestions that you have, please share them, and let's discuss in a friendly manner.

Posted: Dec 21, 2008 at 10:22 Quote
Hey, this is sick!Salute Just a suggestion, I'm not sure if it fits into the "Newbie" section, but maybe a tutorials type thing? like how to pedal kick, how to track stand, how to setup their crappy bike until they can get a real trials bike( Razz ). Just a guess, haha. And maybe a start-a-group-ride type thing, or whatever its called.Big Grin

Posted: Dec 21, 2008 at 11:47 Quote
Maybe a place for trial articles,
I saw on the home page that there is nothing about trial so a page or a place for trial articles would be nice.

only my opinion

Posted: Dec 21, 2008 at 13:03 Quote
I can see the merit of splitting the forum into "newbie" and "experienced" but would that lead to "issues" with "newbies" answering questions?

I would consider myself a "newbie" yet I ride with "experienced" guys and rely on their advice to progress, so would I post in the "newbie" forum or post in the "experienced" forum as I KNOW the advice given will be correct.

Can you see where I am coming from, I didn't mean to disparage the idea I just think it might need a little thought

Posted: Dec 21, 2008 at 13:25 Quote
^^^^
I know what you mean, but everybody kind of browses through each forum. The "Newbie" section isn't just for noobs, its for noob questions, and the experienced is more for experienced questions...Know where I'm coming from?..kinda?

Posted: Dec 21, 2008 at 13:44 Quote
robbie7127 wrote:
I can see the merit of splitting the forum into "newbie" and "experienced" but would that lead to "issues" with "newbies" answering questions?

I would consider myself a "newbie" yet I ride with "experienced" guys and rely on their advice to progress, so would I post in the "newbie" forum or post in the "experienced" forum as I KNOW the advice given will be correct.

Can you see where I am coming from, I didn't mean to disparage the idea I just think it might need a little thought
Yeah, a lot of that already happens here though. On trials-forum.co.uk they have it split up into "New Members Section" and then full members have a variety of sub forums to post in. To become a full member you have to show that you have coherent writing skills, and not be acting like a dick.

Mod
Posted: Dec 21, 2008 at 14:00 Quote
robbie7127 wrote:
I can see the merit of splitting the forum into "newbie" and "experienced" but would that lead to "issues" with "newbies" answering questions?

I would consider myself a "newbie" yet I ride with "experienced" guys and rely on their advice to progress, so would I post in the "newbie" forum or post in the "experienced" forum as I KNOW the advice given will be correct.

Can you see where I am coming from, I didn't mean to disparage the idea I just think it might need a little thought
Yep, we definitely need to think though this, hence the thread. tup The idea was not to discourage people from posting in both, but to keep the repetitive beginner questions grouped together to reduce the redundancy. I think the sample names need to be changed, but one forum would be for beginner questions, and the other would be for general.

jason222bike wrote:
Yeah, a lot of that already happens here though. On trials-forum.co.uk they have it split up into "New Members Section" and then full members have a variety of sub forums to post in. To become a full member you have to show that you have coherent writing skills, and not be acting like a dick.

I actually really like this idea. It would solve many other problems as well, although our solution would be a variation on this approach. I will bring this up as well.

Posted: Dec 21, 2008 at 14:09 Quote
Kami wrote:
jason222bike wrote:
Yeah, a lot of that already happens here though. On trials-forum.co.uk they have it split up into "New Members Section" and then full members have a variety of sub forums to post in. To become a full member you have to show that you have coherent writing skills, and not be acting like a dick.

I actually really like this idea. It would solve many other problems as well, although our solution would be a variation on this approach. I will bring this up as well.
The only problem with this though is that It would be kind of hard to limit posts in the trials forum and not in any others, and if you did it with all of pinkbike, it would need to be, like totally redesigned... But whatever variations are being made to this plan will probably cover this, so..

Posted: Jan 11, 2009 at 20:54 Quote
take away the observed, and write trials like tr-IA-ls, hahaha, as cliche as it sounds, way too many people get that messed up.

Posted: Jan 14, 2009 at 8:30 Quote
It wouldn't be a bad idea to get a stickied thread with the history of trials riding. Where it came from, how it got started, who were the pioneers. As a beginner, I know this would be really useful to me (not that I can't simply look it up) and it might be useful to others as a reminder of where they came from.

Posted: Jan 14, 2009 at 8:36 Quote
kicksnlicks wrote:
It wouldn't be a bad idea to get a stickied thread with the history of trials riding. Where it came from, how it got started, who were the pioneers. As a beginner, I know this would be really useful to me (not that I can't simply look it up) and it might be useful to others as a reminder of where they came from.
Watch a few of the older trials movies. Leaps and Bounds: The Story of biketrial is a good one for history.

Bike Trials supposedly started in the 80's with Ot Pi. Bikes evolved from super short low bb mods and stocks to seatless long mods and stocks with much higher bb heights. There are different diciplines of riding with different geographic areas. TGS is more popular in the UK and russia than other parts of the world. Comp riding is most popular in most of Europe and Canada. The USA has a relatively small trials scene for it's population. blah blah blah, read a bunch here:
Wiki

Posted: Jan 14, 2009 at 8:39 Quote
jason222bike wrote:
kicksnlicks wrote:
It wouldn't be a bad idea to get a stickied thread with the history of trials riding. Where it came from, how it got started, who were the pioneers. As a beginner, I know this would be really useful to me (not that I can't simply look it up) and it might be useful to others as a reminder of where they came from.
Watch a few of the older trials movies. Leaps and Bounds: The Story of biketrial is a good one for history.

Bike Trials supposedly started in the 80's with Ot Pi. Bikes evolved from super short low bb mods and stocks to seatless long mods and stocks with much higher bb heights. blah blah blah, read a bunch here:
Wiki
Ive read a fair amount recently, but thanks for the vid suggestion! I'll check it out.

Posted: Jan 23, 2009 at 17:10 Quote
I'm not against it or anything, but I think there was a website, Biketrials.ca or something that was pretty big in the past. But as of right now Observedtrials.net is the main site for anything.

Posted: Jan 23, 2009 at 19:16 Quote
alexzero13 wrote:
I'm not against it or anything, but I think there was a website, Biketrials.ca or something that was pretty big in the past. But as of right now Observedtrials.net is the main site for anything.
I hate OTN, and I'm never going back there. I'll stick to everthing but OTN...

Posted: Jan 23, 2009 at 19:44 Quote
Yeah, my friend uses OTN and he hates it. Apparently Lots of members are jerks.

Previous Page |

 
Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012028
Mobile Version of Website