How to... Paint

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
How to... Paint
  • Previous Page
Posted: Dec 21, 2008 at 10:46 Quote
Alright, so going through the forums lately I've seen a lot of threads on painting frames and such. So, I've decided to make a step-by-step guide for painting your bike. Everything from striping it down to building it back up again.

Spray Painting;
1. First of all, you're going to need a few items such as a can of Primer ($3.99, Home Hardware) a can or two of Spray paint ($3.99 - $9.99/per can, Home Hardware), a can of Tremclad clear coat ($5.99, Home Hardware), some Sand paper, 120 grit to 300 grit (You'll need about three sheets of each)($0.99/sheet, Home Hardware) and a can of Circa 1850 paint remover ($10.99, Home hardware) Remember, most of your local hardware stores will carry these and similar items as well.
Note: You may wish to use self-etching primer instead of ordinary primer. Ask about it at your local hardware store.

2. If you're planning on painting the entire frame, you're going to need to completely strip your bike down. (or if you really can't do this, you can tape off certain parts such as the headset of bottom bracket, but personally I don't recommend it)

3. Put all the parts aside, and get out some tape. I find masking tape works quite well, but can leave a bit of residue when removed. If you have painters tape, use that instead. Tape off the bottom bracket, seat tube hole, and the headtube. Any other holes such as brake tabs, you can tape if you find it necessary. Make sure the tape doesn't cover the outside of the frame where the paint will be applied.

You now have three options;

4(1). If you want to strip the frame yourself, you're going to need the sand paper and the paint stripper. First, get a large piece of cardboard and lay the frame down on it. Get a paint brush and dip it in the paint stripper. Rub it all over the one side of the frame, and wait about 15 minutes. Get a rag and rub it off. It won't all come off, and it may take multiple coats. Flip the frame over and repeat the process until most of the paint is removed. Then, take the 120 grit sand paper and clean off the places that still have paint. When most of the paint is removed, sand the whole frame with the 300 grit sandpaper.

4(2). If you want to have the frame sandblasted, find a shop somewhere close to you that does sandblasting. That will get rid of the paint as well. This method is more effective, but can be costly if you have to drive far to find a shop.

4(3). There's another option besides these two, although you'll need to find a shop to do it for you. Instead of using sand, they use little bits of plastic to remove the paint. This method is safer for aluminum frames.

Wash the frame (or part) off with a degreaser before applying any paint

5. Now you're ready to paint. Put the frame in a well ventilated area, and bust out the primer. Shake it nice and good, and start applying a light coat to the frame. The important part here is to apply LIGHT coats, other wise the paint will crack, run, chip, etc.. Put on about 5 light coats of primer, and wait for it to dry (wait approx. 10-15 minutes between coats)

6. Now, you'll need another sheet of the 300 grit sandpaper. Sand the entire frame down once again, very lightly this time. Then get out the spray paint. Shake the can well. The more you shake, the better the paint quality is going to be. Start applying light coats to the frame, the same way you did with the primer. (5-8 coats should do, but if you need more go right ahead)

7. After the frame's got the right colour on it, you want to protect the frame. grab your can of clear coat, and shake it good. Apply the clear coat the same way you did with the primer and the spray paint. (5 coats or more should do) Remember, light coats. (It's best to wait about a day for the clear coat to dry, it has to set over the paint)

8. Now, you're almost ready to show off your frame to your buddies. Carefully remove the tape from the frame, and throw it out. Find all of your parts, and carefully build the bike back up again, making sure not to chip the freshly painted frame.

9. Stand back, and admire your hard work. Congratulations.

Now, if you have any questions or things you'd like me to change, message me.
Comments would be appreciated.

Posted: Dec 21, 2008 at 16:18 Quote
sounds pro, good job budday. tup

Posted: Dec 21, 2008 at 17:44 Quote
The only thing that I would change is the paint stripper part. The only time you should use stripper is in the case that the original paint is damaged badly in some way, either EXTREMELY scratched, or has UV damage, or it is peeling. If the original paint is still in decent shape, it is going to be a way better base to start with than just bare metal. It was applied to the frame in ideal conditions, you would have a rather hard time duplicating them without a professional set up, so you might as well leave it there and only take off the top layer and scratches.

Posted: Dec 21, 2008 at 18:23 Quote
good job marlon, very detailed explanation. wish i woulda read this a few years ago before i had to mess up a few frames figuring it out myself:p

Posted: Dec 22, 2008 at 8:57 Quote
Another product to consider using is a self etching primer either before or instead of a basic primer. Self etching primer has an acidic element to it that gives it better adhesion to bare metal than your run of the mill red oxide primers.

Posted: Dec 23, 2008 at 22:49 Quote
I agree with "jonbikes" on this one. Don't bother stripping the paint unless it's in really bad shape, just buff it up with the 300 grit sand paper. The new paint will stick fine to that. And what ever you do don't sand blast an aluminum frame! the sand is moving fast enough and aluminum is soft enough that it will make little pits (think craters) on the frame. It will peel the paint off like it wasent even there but it will make the frame look very rough.

Posted: Dec 23, 2008 at 22:58 Quote
nothingbetter wrote:
I agree with "jonbikes" on this one. Don't bother stripping the paint unless it's in really bad shape, just buff it up with the 300 grit sand paper. The new paint will stick fine to that. And what ever you do don't sand blast an aluminum frame! the sand is moving fast enough and aluminum is soft enough that it will make little pits (think craters) on the frame. It will peel the paint off like it wasent even there but it will make the frame look very rough.

depends on what grit you're using.

Posted: Dec 28, 2008 at 20:50 Quote
awesome job budd
self etching primer is a very good product
i myself like to have a fully stripped frame when i do any paint jobs
adds alot of work but always seems to turn out mint

Posted: Jan 5, 2009 at 15:25 Quote
what if you use no primer and clear coat if
you had to pick which is more important to use which one would it be?

Posted: Jan 5, 2009 at 15:59 Quote
Clear is more important if you want the paint to have a longer lasting finish.
Primer isn't necessary, but it helps a lot.

Posted: Jan 5, 2009 at 16:27 Quote
I think it would depend what your sitch is
If you didnt strip all the way then primer would be your best bet
but if you did strip all the way just make sure you give nice easy coats and lightly sand in between its just to give the paint something to grab and fill in small imperfections
but clear is amazing stuff

Posted: Jan 5, 2009 at 17:06 Quote
thanks for the post, was just getting ready to start striping my frame for a fresh paint job, I was thinking of sandblasting and was wondering what media I should use, I have used baking soda to blast aliminum cylinder heads, just wondering if you could use it for frames as well.any suggestions

Posted: Jan 5, 2009 at 17:09 Quote
I'd give it a try, see if works or not.
It can't damage the frame if it can't take the paint off, right?

Posted: Jan 5, 2009 at 17:29 Quote
yeah when ever i get anything sandblasted my dad usaully does it at his work but im just going to put out the reminder of damaging threads ive had that happen to. not to a bike tho thank the heavens of biking haha

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.013112
Mobile Version of Website