New Dobermann Custom Trials Frame! (new pic inside!)

PB Forum :: Observed Biketrials
New Dobermann Custom Trials Frame! (new pic inside!)
Posted: Dec 18, 2007 at 8:16 Quote
dobermanntrials wrote:
I can understand that, but most frames and other components for trials are designed to be as light as possible while still being safe right? Someone took the time to engineer these things that way, then some guy with little knowledge of the way these things were designed and the reason they were designed the way they were descides to take a drill and shave some excess weight, does anyone not see a problem with that? I mean, rims and things arn't so bad, but when you get into the frame then your gambiling with your life for the sake of a few grams. All iam asking is if its really worth the risk for a few grams of weight?

Do you actually think there is that much "engineering" going into your frame? The only company's I can see doing this is the big money bike brands. Most of the small custom bike company's probly dont even have engineers. I'm sure they can do statics to figure out some numbers but only enough to get the job done. Echo for example probly just goes by trial and error. They have been around a while and many of their frames in the past have been crap. Also the bike frames have been based on a proven design for so long, making some tweaks with geo. or some weight shaving isn't going to mess it up too much. 2 cents

Posted: Dec 18, 2007 at 16:19 Quote
trialsinmachine wrote:
dobermanntrials wrote:
I can understand that, but most frames and other components for trials are designed to be as light as possible while still being safe right? Someone took the time to engineer these things that way, then some guy with little knowledge of the way these things were designed and the reason they were designed the way they were descides to take a drill and shave some excess weight, does anyone not see a problem with that? I mean, rims and things arn't so bad, but when you get into the frame then your gambiling with your life for the sake of a few grams. All iam asking is if its really worth the risk for a few grams of weight?

Do you actually think there is that much "engineering" going into your frame? The only company's I can see doing this is the big money bike brands. Most of the small custom bike company's probly dont even have engineers. I'm sure they can do statics to figure out some numbers but only enough to get the job done. Echo for example probly just goes by trial and error. They have been around a while and many of their frames in the past have been crap. Also the bike frames have been based on a proven design for so long, making some tweaks with geo. or some weight shaving isn't going to mess it up too much. 2 cents

It doesn't need to be designed by an engineer...you right, I doubt most small bike companies have actual engineers designing thier frames, but, there is still tonnes of research and development, many prototypes, etc.
Tweaks in geo is not even being discussed here. Shaving weight is okay IF you know what you are doing. If you are going to put random holes in tubes without any knowledge of how the metal tubing will react to it, then you can expect there to be some problems.
All iam saying is leave the drilling to the people who know what they are doing, the frame builders themselves.
If a small company comes out with a frame with a bunch of holes drilled everywhere, you can bet that they have tested the hell out of the thing to make sure if its safe, if for no other reason than to cover thier own ass.

Posted: Dec 18, 2007 at 16:21 Quote
That being said, if you have any more stuff to add, add it to " The Great Drilling Debate" thread, that way we can keep it all in one place.

Posted: Dec 19, 2007 at 8:26 Quote
No, I was just wondering what you thought about it.Beer

Posted: Dec 19, 2007 at 15:50 Quote
when can we see complete pics??Jail Camera

Posted: Dec 19, 2007 at 16:26 Quote
street55dirt wrote:

When its complete. Maybe this spring I'll start getting the parts, I would like to have it up and running when the weather is nice for biking again.

Posted: Dec 19, 2007 at 16:29 Quote
dobermanntrials wrote:
street55dirt wrote:

When its complete. Maybe this spring I'll start getting the parts, I would like to have it up and running when the weather is nice for biking again.

cant wait lol its going to be a sweet build!

Posted: Dec 19, 2007 at 16:33 Quote
Its gonna be all top shelf parts, nothing cheap, I want parts that will do that frame justice. Because of that, it will take me a little while to get the money together to finish it, Iam trying to save money for school, so its hard to come by any extra money for the bike. Good thing its winter though, if it were summer nad it was sitting in its box I would be going crazy.Wink

Posted: Dec 20, 2007 at 8:36 Quote
make sure you buy a lock too.

Posted: Dec 20, 2007 at 15:35 Quote
Maybe I'll get a car alarm system.Wink

Posted: Feb 26, 2008 at 16:25 Quote
Hey guys, just thought I'd post up a pic of the progress I've made so far on this build. I just got a few parts in the other day and Iam just waiting for everything else to come in, some things are on back order and I still have to wait for my wheels to be built. Anyway, enjoy, cause I know I do.Wink

photo

Posted: Feb 26, 2008 at 16:36 Quote
dobermanntrials wrote:
Hey guys, just thought I'd post up a pic of the progress I've made so far on this build. I just got a few parts in the other day and Iam just waiting for everything else to come in, some things are on back order and I still have to wait for my wheels to be built. Anyway, enjoy, cause I know I do.Wink

photo

does the bike have similar geo to the reset?

Posted: Feb 26, 2008 at 16:46 Quote
spag wrote:
dobermanntrials wrote:

photo

I am a little confused as why you would spend $1300 on a zebdi clone that is 1-2lbs heavier. I mean, zebdis are way cheaper than that. Also, correct me if I am wrong but i thought aluminum was desirable for trials because of weight and stiffness?

i just dont see the need to spend all that money i guess.

Posted: Feb 26, 2008 at 16:57 Quote
Iam not sure what the geo of the Reset it, but I had this one made with similar geo to th PX Zebdi.

And to the other guy who posted below, to each his own I guess. I loved my old Zebdi when I had it, but there were always things about it that I wished were different, with this frame I addressed those things.

Aluminium may be light and stiff, but usually because of those reasons those frames only last one riding season and something snaps. This frame is built to last.

Weight is not a big issue for me as I don't ride comps and such, mainly street influenced trials.

That being said, this frame is not heavy by any means, it is more that light enough for trials use.

$1300 may seem like a lot to pay, but if your a trials rider, think about all the $600 or so aluminium frames you have bought over the years, then it won't seem like such a high cost to pay for a frame.

Posted: Feb 27, 2008 at 6:14 Quote
spag wrote:
dobermanntrials wrote:

photo

Spag, good buddy. The resets are a bit longer, the rest is pretty similar albeit a half degree here and there...

I'm liking what i'm seeing so far, Mr Clench!

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.050186
Mobile Version of Website