Wooden vs Dirt landings

PB Forum :: Trail Building
Wooden vs Dirt landings
  • Previous Page
Posted: Dec 23, 2008 at 18:39 Quote
am thinking about making a drop but need a landing for it. would it be a better idea to make the landing wooden or pile dirt and shape that?

impute please

Posted: Dec 23, 2008 at 18:56 Quote
freeridefool1 wrote:
am thinking about making a drop but need a landing for it. would it be a better idea to make the landing wooden or pile dirt and shape that?

impute please
do you have enough dirt to make a big enough landing ? and how big of a drop is it ?

Posted: Dec 23, 2008 at 18:57 Quote
boolmv wrote:
freeridefool1 wrote:

impute please
do you have enough dirt to make a big enough landing ? and how big of a drop is it ?

we might but it would take a good amount of time to pile it all up. the drop is probably a 12-15 foot drop.

Posted: Dec 23, 2008 at 19:02 Quote
it deepens on what dirt your working with and what conditions. if you have good dirt and a bunch of logs and stuff just make most of the landing filled with branches and then cover a good portion of it with the dirt. other wise if it is rainy alot of the time and you dont want to deal with the muddy slop build a wooden landing. and definitely dont build a wooden landing if you think you may crush it when you land on it.

Posted: Dec 23, 2008 at 19:04 Quote
mtbwoodtrails wrote:
it deepens on what dirt your working with and what conditions. if you have good dirt and a bunch of logs and stuff just make most of the landing filled with branches and then cover a good portion of it with the dirt. other wise if it is rainy alot of the time and you dont want to deal with the muddy slop build a wooden landing. and definitely dont build a wooden landing if you think you may crush it when you land on it.

this guy said it all....no need for more information than that

Posted: Dec 23, 2008 at 19:06 Quote
ya. that definitely helps. its dropping into a creek bed thats not running right now so i think the dirt should be good for it.

Posted: Dec 23, 2008 at 19:08 Quote
pics coming in a few minutes!

Posted: Dec 23, 2008 at 19:16 Quote
photo

photo

photo

photo

photo

Posted: Dec 23, 2008 at 19:19 Quote
sbfreeride wrote:
photo

photo

photo

photo

photo

Location of drop^^^^^^^^

Posted: Dec 23, 2008 at 19:22 Quote
does that ever flood over? Plus just by looking at all of those rocks im guessing that there isnt much good dirt(could be wrong)... so maybe go with a wooden landing and if you can cover the bottom portion with dirt just to smooth it out

Posted: Dec 23, 2008 at 19:25 Quote
is that a road ontop of the tunnel??? if so i can see problems with people discovering it and destroying your drop

Posted: Dec 23, 2008 at 19:26 Quote
mtbwoodtrails wrote:
does that ever flood over? Plus just by looking at all of those rocks im guessing that there isnt much good dirt(could be wrong)... so maybe go with a wooden landing and if you can cover the bottom portion with dirt just to smooth it out

Theres good dirt off to the side. but thats the thing. Idk if it will flood over. it rarely rains were i live so hopefully it won't. we will have to see.

Posted: Dec 23, 2008 at 19:30 Quote
yea that would suck if you built it then it got washed away

Posted: Dec 23, 2008 at 19:44 Quote
ya if it doesn't rain then i would go with dirt but if it does just go with wood and if you have to fill it in every once and a while i would have dirt at the bottom to smooth out the bottom of the wood. sry someone else already said this it think

Posted: Dec 23, 2008 at 19:54 Quote
demonbiker48 wrote:
ya if it doesn't rain then i would go with dirt but if it does just go with wood and if you have to fill it in every once and a while i would have dirt at the bottom to smooth out the bottom of the wood. sry someone else already said this it think

No, that makes a lot of sense. thanks

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.015131
Mobile Version of Website