What brakes are people running?

PB Forum :: Downhill
What brakes are people running?
Posted: Aug 16, 2017 at 8:16 Quote
Clicked on this on "got any DH questions".
This reveals a lot

http://enduro-mtb.com/en/best-mtb-disc-brake-can-buy/

Posted: Sep 14, 2017 at 19:10 Quote
Hey all, first off would like to apologize if this has been covered already, and for rambling on a bit haha but I am in a little pickle.
I'm in the market for some new brakes. Currently I have a SRAM Guide RSC on the front and an Avid XO Trail on the back, happy with both, could do with more power and really dig the modulation of the Guide. Only problem is my local shop mechanic is not fond of any brake that starts with A and ends with vid or anything SRAM. This is the case to the point where he had my bike for a month and didn't bleed them in that time. It isn't a busy shop either.. Can't find a shop that is really much good in my local area either. After doing a bit of reading I am interested in the Magura MT7 brakes, the modulation sounds good as does their power. My only concern however is their bleeding process and how easy it is. Also considering Hope V4s. Any info in regards to performance or experience with either would be greatly appreciated, cheers folks.

Posted: Sep 14, 2017 at 19:39 Quote
2016 sram guide. Absolutely amazing

O+
Posted: Sep 14, 2017 at 19:52 Quote
Callum-H wrote:
Hey all, first off would like to apologize if this has been covered already, and for rambling on a bit haha but I am in a little pickle.
I'm in the market for some new brakes. Currently I have a SRAM Guide RSC on the front and an Avid XO Trail on the back, happy with both, could do with more power and really dig the modulation of the Guide. Only problem is my local shop mechanic is not fond of any brake that starts with A and ends with vid or anything SRAM. This is the case to the point where he had my bike for a month and didn't bleed them in that time. It isn't a busy shop either.. Can't find a shop that is really much good in my local area either. After doing a bit of reading I am interested in the Magura MT7 brakes, the modulation sounds good as does their power. My only concern however is their bleeding process and how easy it is. Also considering Hope V4s. Any info in regards to performance or experience with either would be greatly appreciated, cheers folks.

I have hopes on all my bikes. Every single part is replace able unlike most other brakes and bleeding is simple and does not require any special tools. Also they are just flat out sexy and if you do any moto riding or racing you will love them

Posted: Sep 14, 2017 at 20:05 Quote
Have a set of V4's, lots of park days on them this year.

Tons of power, probably what you'd expect from a DH specific brake. Have never faded on trail, and pretty damn good modulation compared to other brakes I've tried. The lever isn't as effortless to pull versus some other brakes I've tried/felt, and it's definitely a different feel in general. They're very solid pieces though, so you won't have to worry about snapping a lever in a crash. Pads wear down a little un-evenly, but not a drastic difference.

Bleeding takes 5-10 minutes, doesn't require any special tools or bleed kits, and is a very simple process.

Tldr: I like mine, you should get some too.

Posted: Sep 15, 2017 at 5:25 Quote
Callum-H wrote:

You from Melbourne? There's some alright shops around, holding onto a bike for a month is ridiculously bad.

I've had my saints for 5 years now and they're great, would reccomend. Shimano aus just straight up sent me brand new ones last time I ran into a small problem with them. My mates hopes seem to be sick brakes also, I like them but prefer the strong initial bite of the shimano personally.

Posted: Sep 19, 2017 at 18:14 Quote
Thanks to all who replied! really helpful I appreciate it.

You from Melbourne? There's some alright shops around, holding onto a bike for a month is ridiculously bad.

I've had my saints for 5 years now and they're great, would reccomend. Shimano aus just straight up sent me brand new ones last time I ran into a small problem with them. My mates hopes seem to be sick brakes also, I like them but prefer the strong initial bite of the shimano personally.[/Quote]

I am yeah, but north east of Melbourne, did go to My Mountain Melbourne but that is closed now. It was ridiculous haha but it's not like i needed the bike, doing year 12 at the moment so it wasn't a big concern.

Posted: Oct 19, 2017 at 6:46 Quote
I wanted to change disc from 203 cm to 160mm
In Bos Deville it is not possible if You have Hope E4 caliper Big Grin Not enough space

Hope E4
Hope E4 on BOS Deville doesn t fit with 160mm disc

Posted: Oct 19, 2017 at 11:16 Quote
Why the switch to a smaller rotor?

O+
Posted: Oct 19, 2017 at 17:59 Quote
riish wrote:
Why the switch to a smaller rotor?

Possibly because power.

Posted: Oct 20, 2017 at 0:04 Quote
Why? E4s aren't THAT powerful.

O+
Posted: Oct 20, 2017 at 7:38 Quote
Painhawk wrote:
Why? E4s aren't THAT powerful.

Modulation?

Posted: Oct 20, 2017 at 8:01 Quote
E4 with 203mm was just too powerfull- modulation was great, but I wanted to check how will be on smaller disc.
Earlier i was riden 203 with Avid Elixir CR and I'm sure that E4 even with 160mm will be more powerfull, so why not ?

O+
Posted: Oct 20, 2017 at 9:03 Quote
jergus wrote:
E4 with 203mm was just too powrfull- modulation was great, but I wanted to check how will be on smaller disc.
Earlier i was riden 203 with Avid Elixir CR and I'm sure that E4 even with 160mm will be more powerfull, so why not ?

I used to run CR's. They were pretty decent and the modulation was good, but they constantly needed a bleed. Matchin them with 180s were perfect.

Posted: Oct 20, 2017 at 10:27 Quote
Fazeless wrote:
jergus wrote:
E4 with 203mm was just too powrfull- modulation was great, but I wanted to check how will be on smaller disc.

I used to run CR's. They were pretty decent and the modulation was good, but they constantly needed a bleed. Matchin them with 180s were perfect.

I had very old one. Service would be more expensive than new brakes.
When I bought it, in 2012, I was very satisfied with them (rotors 203/185) but now I know it was not enough power and I should change it earlier

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.014243
Mobile Version of Website