What brakes are people running?

PB Forum :: Downhill
What brakes are people running?
| Next Page
Posted: Mar 13, 2019 at 12:27 Quote
luvdownhillin1999 wrote:
Ok so I’m going to go with one of these three brakes, but does anyone have any ideas which one would be better in the long run?

2015 Avid Code R
2014 Hayes Stroker Ace
2014 Avid Elixir 9 Trail

All three are four piston brakes
codes.

Posted: Mar 13, 2019 at 12:41 Quote
luvdownhillin1999 wrote:
Ok so I’m going to go with one of these three brakes, but does anyone have any ideas which one would be better in the long run?

2015 Avid Code R
2014 Hayes Stroker Ace
2014 Avid Elixir 9 Trail

I've had the Elixir 9s before. Thought they were great. Most people were surprised when I told them that they were really good. My pick would probably be the codes through.

Posted: Mar 13, 2019 at 15:38 Quote
I been riding for the last 6 months testing the Formula Cura and for the last 3 months the Cura 4 upgraded with lightweight kevlar reinforced hoses from the same brand.
I have to say that after trying basically all the models from Formula, Grimeca system 12, 17, most of avid/sram brakes, Magura Mt 5 & 7, and all generations of Shimano Saint brakes, (my favourite were first & second gen), this two models + the R0 (Oval) brakes and the System 17 are the most powerful brakes I've ever tried, the Cura and Cura 4 brakes are the first two models from Formula adopting Mineral oil, which make them fiendly to service.

The Cura is a perfect balance between Performance, weight and Price, making them super attractive to have premium brakes even for the limited budgets. I'm really surprised with the amount of power that those 2 piston brakes can deliver (outperforming several 4 piston brakes)
Formula Cura
Formula Cura
The Cura 4 is the most powerful brake I ever tried (Together with the Grimeca System 17), Modulation is sweet too.
On my set I made a little upgrade. On my spares stock I had a brand new set of replacement hydraulic lines for the Formula R1 racing, which are made out of a Carbon-Kevlar braided tube, that I never used with the R1R set.
I made the swap of hoses and re-bleeded the brakes, and as a result I dropped few grams from the official weight also giving them an even more stunning looking than the original one.
Since then I been trying those brakes, in Chile and Argentina on the Andes Mountains range, running sometimes in excess of 20 km of continuous descent trails, without a single failure or signal of fading.
Firmula Cura 4 lever
Formula Cura 4 Most powerful Brake ever
Formula Cura 4 featuring Kevlar reinforced Lightweight hose
Formula Cura 4 featuring Kevlar reinforced Lightweight hose
Formula Cura 4
Formula Cura 4
Formula Cura 4

Posted: Mar 13, 2019 at 18:33 Quote
luvdownhillin1999 wrote:

2015 Avid Code R
2014 Hayes Stroker Ace
2014 Avid Elixir 9 Trail

Can I ask why those?

Posted: Mar 13, 2019 at 18:58 Quote
yzedf wrote:
luvdownhillin1999 wrote:

2015 Avid Code R
2014 Hayes Stroker Ace
2014 Avid Elixir 9 Trail

Can I ask why those?

It’s for a DH bike and because those are in my price range. Got any other suggestions?

Posted: Mar 13, 2019 at 22:35 Quote
luvdownhillin1999 wrote:
yzedf wrote:
luvdownhillin1999 wrote:

2015 Avid Code R
2014 Hayes Stroker Ace
2014 Avid Elixir 9 Trail

Can I ask why those?

It’s for a DH bike and because those are in my price range. Got any other suggestions?

pay attention to eBay deals....thats my advice
i just sold a brand new set of guide rs with 180mm rotors for 117 bucks..there are plenty of deals out there for people just getting rid of extra parts.
oh and stay away from the stroker ace, absolute waste of raw materials when they built those things

Posted: Mar 14, 2019 at 6:51 Quote
luvdownhillin1999 wrote:
yzedf wrote:
luvdownhillin1999 wrote:

2015 Avid Code R
2014 Hayes Stroker Ace
2014 Avid Elixir 9 Trail

Can I ask why those?

What's your price range? Buying 5 year old brakes is a bit of a game of Russian roulette. Huge waste to buy something that's going to need a rebuild and you find out some of the small parts are no longer available.

Posted: Mar 14, 2019 at 7:43 Quote
Thanks for the advice. I’ll keep looking for something newer.

Posted: Mar 14, 2019 at 7:45 Quote
yzedf wrote:
luvdownhillin1999 wrote:
yzedf wrote:

Can I ask why those?

What's your price range? Buying 5 year old brakes is a bit of a game of Russian roulette. Huge waste to buy something that's going to need a rebuild and you find out some of the small parts are no longer available.

Yeah I get that. I see what you mean. Well I don’t want to spend more than 150$. I know that’s kind of silly given that a lot of brakes I wish I could have are double that, but oh well.

Posted: Mar 14, 2019 at 8:14 Quote
luvdownhillin1999 wrote:
yzedf wrote:
luvdownhillin1999 wrote:

Yeah I get that. I see what you mean. Well I don’t want to spend more than 150$. I know that’s kind of silly given that a lot of brakes I wish I could have are double that, but oh well.
I've seen several sets of pretty new Guide RS and Code R in that $100-$150 price range on the Pinkbike Buy/Sell recently (I'm also looking) they're there, just keep at it and look hard

Posted: Mar 14, 2019 at 16:34 Quote
If you look hard you might be able to find the shimano mt520 at that price point.

Posted: Mar 15, 2019 at 17:15 Quote
mtbikeaddict wrote:
luvdownhillin1999 wrote:
yzedf wrote:

I've seen several sets of pretty new Guide RS and Code R in that $100-$150 price range on the Pinkbike Buy/Sell recently (I'm also looking) they're there, just keep at it and look hard

Well, I just bought the 2017 Sram Guide RS brakes. Hoping to eventually pair them with Code calipers.

| Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.027911
Mobile Version of Website