What brakes are people running?

PB Forum :: Downhill
What brakes are people running?
Posted: May 7, 2019 at 17:48 Quote
60ndown wrote:
Does anyone know of a brake (any year model disk) for a heavy guy (210lbs) doing 95% downhill beginner rider and uses the rear brake a lot. I don't need maximum stopping power I do need a long lasting pad ***until I learn to ride less on the (rear) brakes.

Im trying to make my DH biking as affordable as possible...

I would just make sure I got a really good metallic pad. Organic pads wear down a lot faster. I don’t think it’s really going to matter what break you use. Just make sure you’re using 200 mm rotors.

Posted: May 7, 2019 at 18:49 Quote
krumpdancer101 wrote:
60ndown wrote:
Does anyone know of a brake (any year model disk) for a heavy guy (210lbs) doing 95% downhill beginner rider and uses the rear brake a lot. I don't need maximum stopping power I do need a long lasting pad ***until I learn to ride less on the (rear) brakes.

I would just make sure I got a really good metallic pad. Organic pads wear down a lot faster. I don’t think it’s really going to matter what break you use. Just make sure you’re using 200 mm rotors.

why no u use front brake? iz more gooder!

Posted: May 7, 2019 at 22:23 Quote
y9pema wrote:
krumpdancer101 wrote:
60ndown wrote:

tried that ^ , when i get the front braking wrong i got otb so i favor the rear these days..

Posted: May 8, 2019 at 7:49 Quote
60ndown wrote:
y9pema wrote:
krumpdancer101 wrote:

tried that ^ , when i get the front braking wrong i got otb so i favor the rear these days..

Skills coaching. Also, brakes have more than full on or off.

Posted: May 8, 2019 at 15:58 Quote
Saint in front, XT in the back

Posted: May 8, 2019 at 18:31 Quote
60ndown wrote:
y9pema wrote:
krumpdancer101 wrote:

If that’s the issue you need some coaching man. Not at all bashing, but skills over gear any damn day.
I’ve been smoked on Porcupine on my enduro by a dude on a hardtail.

Posted: May 8, 2019 at 19:15 Quote
shwinn8 wrote:
Why?

Posted: May 9, 2019 at 3:45 Quote
bike2850 wrote:
shwinn8 wrote:
Why?

because that's what I went with.

Posted: May 9, 2019 at 4:30 Quote
shwinn8 wrote:
bike2850 wrote:
shwinn8 wrote:
Why?

As did I. With saint levers as a mismatch would bug me.
Its easy enough to lock a rear brake, doesnt really need a heavy saint at the back for a trail bike.
My old bike had a rear saint & I have no probs stopping with an xt rear.
Also went down from 203 to 180mm on the front. All good so far although a 203mm may go back on for morzine in July.

Posted: May 9, 2019 at 6:30 Quote
mcozzy wrote:
shwinn8 wrote:
bike2850 wrote:

Why?

Its easy enough to lock a rear brake, doesnt really need a heavy saint at the back for a trail bike.
Also went down from 203 to 180mm on the front. All good so far although a 203mm may go back on for morzine in July.

the XT is going in the back. 203 in front, 180 in back

Posted: May 10, 2019 at 6:11 Quote
shwinn8 wrote:
mcozzy wrote:
shwinn8 wrote:

the XT is going in the back. 203 in front, 180 in back

I believe this was the same set up that Steve Peat ran except he put the Saint in the rear and the XT in the front because he said the modulation on the XT was better and the saint was just too violent to have in the front lol.

Posted: May 10, 2019 at 11:35 Quote
60ndown wrote:

Just get aftermarket sintered pads from Truckerco on ebay.

Posted: May 12, 2019 at 12:29 Quote
Thanks all !

Im a few rides into the season and THANKFULLY I do have some GREAT people around to help me, apparently, --

Hitting the brakes HARD on the straights only (brakes 100% off rolling around corners) is correct/best use of brakes.

I tried it, it works, brakes made less noise (full metallic) bike handles WAAAAY better going around corners (really surprised me)

I spent time after that ride thinking about a bike rolling around a corner with brakes on, and with brakes off.

it just makes sense (now I've tried it) that the bike performs and handles better around the corner when its not dragging and already under load.... doh !!!!!

Thanks for the solid advice 'partner'

https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/17201237/

Posted: May 12, 2019 at 17:41 Quote
1) Formula R0 203/180 sintered pads. 2) Shimano SLX 160/160 resin pads. 3) Hayes Stroker Trail 160/160 sintered pads.

60ndown wrote:
Thanks all !

Im a few rides into the season and THANKFULLY I do have some GREAT people around to help me, apparently, --

Hitting the brakes HARD on the straights only (brakes 100% off rolling around corners) is correct/best use of brakes.

I tried it, it works, brakes made less noise (full metallic) bike handles WAAAAY better going around corners (really surprised me)

I spent time after that ride thinking about a bike rolling around a corner with brakes on, and with brakes off.

it just makes sense (now I've tried it) that the bike performs and handles better around the corner when its not dragging and already under load.... doh !!!!!

Thanks for the solid advice 'partner'

https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/17201237/

It's like driving a car. You do your braking before the turn. Not in it. Then carry your speed through, and accelerate when possible. Keep practising Smile

If you're braking in the turn you've already f*cked it up LoL

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.021838
Mobile Version of Website