What brakes are people running?

PB Forum :: Downhill
What brakes are people running?
Author Message
Posted: Jul 5, 2019 at 20:39 Quote
VPentagon wrote:
is there much of a difference between running a 200mm rotor in the REAR than a 180mm? i have always had 203/180 since thats what came on my bike but have always been curious if it's worth a try to do 200/200. i am a very light rider at 140lbs but i do like instant power which is why i got shimano zee's and centerline rotors which i have been happy with but idk

It depends on the terrain you're riding. I ride very steep techy trails so switching to a 203 rear rotors was a noticable difference. Better modulation and control. My new bike has 180 on the rear and I can tell the difference.

Posted: Jul 16, 2019 at 15:16 Quote
Hi,
I've been trying to decide between the magura mt5 and the magura mt7. I get a discount on magura brakes so f/r for the mt5s comes out to about $170 and mt7s come out to $290ish. Do you think the mt7s are worth the extra money?

Posted: Jul 16, 2019 at 20:46 Quote
flaggnar wrote:
Hi,
I've been trying to decide between the magura mt5 and the magura mt7. I get a discount on magura brakes so f/r for the mt5s comes out to about $170 and mt7s come out to $290ish. Do you think the mt7s are worth the extra money?
yes.

Posted: Jul 18, 2019 at 5:52 Quote
Just got back from Morzine.

I can tell you that the Code RSC's i have on my bike are amazing. Even on the stupidly long descents with constant breaking, or heavy pulsing where you dare (I'm 90 kgs too). No sponginess, or change in bite point, or hint of boiling. I even went out with wafer thin pads expecting to change them on the first day, but they are still in there now after 4 days. Just shows the pistons are well balanced. No squeaking or squealing either which can not be said for some of the other breaks in my group.

Posted: Jul 18, 2019 at 9:31 Quote
That’s awesome that hear.
Unfortunately I suspect my Dominions may need new seals at the caliper after 1k. Starting to get a slowly retreating bite, and I think my pads got contaminated. Going to check into it further.
Granted they have had a hard ass 1k on them, I’ve never had to do seals that early on any other brake.

Still worth it though, their modulation and power is perfect.

Posted: Jul 20, 2019 at 18:47 Quote
My Saints are getting old and they rattle ttoo much, even without finned pads. I can get a good deal on the Codes. Do they rattle like the Saints?

Posted: Aug 1, 2019 at 14:13 Quote
MikerJ wrote:
My Saints are getting old and they rattle ttoo much, even without finned pads. I can get a good deal on the Codes. Do they rattle like the Saints?
Stay with Saints... Codes and any avid brake are really prone to fail after few months.
If you want something even better, try Formula Cura 4

Posted: Aug 1, 2019 at 14:16 Quote
annimaxdh wrote:
MikerJ wrote:
My Saints are getting old and they rattle ttoo much, even without finned pads. I can get a good deal on the Codes. Do they rattle like the Saints?
Stay with Saints... Codes and any avid brake are really prone to fail after few months.
If you want something even better, try Formula Cura 4
I haven't heard anything legitimately bad about the new Codes; people love them... i wish i had a set... I say go for it. Smile

Posted: Aug 1, 2019 at 16:41 Quote
mtbikeaddict wrote:
annimaxdh wrote:
MikerJ wrote:
My Saints are getting old and they rattle ttoo much, even without finned pads. I can get a good deal on the Codes. Do they rattle like the Saints?
Stay with Saints... Codes and any avid brake are really prone to fail after few months.
If you want something even better, try Formula Cura 4
I haven't heard anything legitimately bad about the new Codes; people love them... i wish i had a set... I say go for it. Smile
the new codes have had a similar issue the guides did. Stick with saints, or get something other than codes.

Posted: Aug 1, 2019 at 19:27 Quote
spaceofades wrote:
mtbikeaddict wrote:
annimaxdh wrote:

Stay with Saints... Codes and any avid brake are really prone to fail after few months.
If you want something even better, try Formula Cura 4
I haven't heard anything legitimately bad about the new Codes; people love them... i wish i had a set... I say go for it. Smile
the new codes have had a similar issue the guides did. Stick with saints, or get something other than codes.
care to elaborate, the master cylinder issue? I've heard of zero issues with them so far.

Posted: Aug 1, 2019 at 20:29 Quote
Nobble wrote:
spaceofades wrote:
mtbikeaddict wrote:

I haven't heard anything legitimately bad about the new Codes; people love them... i wish i had a set... I say go for it. Smile
the new codes have had a similar issue the guides did. Stick with saints, or get something other than codes.
care to elaborate, the master cylinder issue? I've heard of zero issues with them so far.
Yep. Had a few in with busted M/C, on the Code R levers.

Posted: Aug 4, 2019 at 12:14 Quote
spaceofades wrote:
Nobble wrote:
spaceofades wrote:
the new codes have had a similar issue the guides did. Stick with saints, or get something other than codes.
care to elaborate, the master cylinder issue? I've heard of zero issues with them so far.
Yep. Had a few in with busted M/C, on the Code R levers.
Some Code R have the „guide problem“. But as long as you choose Code RSC you get a super strong brake!

Posted: Aug 5, 2019 at 5:23 Quote
Any good aftermarket options (better than OE) for Code brake pads?

Posted: Aug 5, 2019 at 8:27 Quote
jeremy3220 wrote:
Any good aftermarket options (better than OE) for Code brake pads?

Trickstuff makes pads for sram brakes

Posted: Aug 6, 2019 at 14:05 Quote
yzedf wrote:
jeremy3220 wrote:
Any good aftermarket options (better than OE) for Code brake pads?

Trickstuff makes pads for sram brakes

They're organic though. Have you used them? I'm not sure if that would be an upgrade.


 
Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.015665
Mobile Version of Website