What brakes are people running?

PB Forum :: Downhill
What brakes are people running?
Posted: Mar 26, 2020 at 13:20 Quote
hmstuna wrote:
Maybe this is an unpopular opinion, but I really didn't like my saints. Even when I would get a perfect bleed in a few rides they wouldn't feel good anymore. I mean they're better than srams, but I don't know if they're the best brakes.

Same here. Never was that impressive. Maybe some sets are better than others

Posted: Apr 2, 2020 at 21:59 Quote
seismicninja wrote:
hmstuna wrote:
Maybe this is an unpopular opinion, but I really didn't like my saints. Even when I would get a perfect bleed in a few rides they wouldn't feel good anymore. I mean they're better than srams, but I don't know if they're the best brakes.

Same here. Never was that impressive. Maybe some sets are better than others

Welcome to the curse of shimano brakes. They require frequent maintenance to remain consistent, which is thankfully easy to complete. Sram brakes on the other hand usually require less work to stay golden but when it needs to be done its a cluster f*ck.

Posted: Jul 31, 2020 at 7:51 Quote
I'm about to ditch the beloved Hayes. I honestly think they are the very best brake I've ever used, but I have one beef with them, parts availability. I've been damn close to skunked on 3 trips due to that. One in Europe when my rotor got bent in transport and couldn't find the right replacement (Hayes use thicker rotors than standard), another time in Europe when I crashed and broke my clamp. And last week in SLC when I cut my line and couldn't find a replacement (thicker than standard), not even a damn barb (which is proprietary).
That last one convinced me that I just need to replace them with something that have more parts availability. I'd love to check out the new TRP DHR or the Formula Cura, both of which look super promising. But man, I'd be in the same boat with parts availability.
So, might to back to Codes. Unless anyone here has any other suggestions?

Shimano are off the table for me. Absolutely loathe that damn wandering bite point.

Posted: Jul 31, 2020 at 8:28 Quote
Abacall wrote:
I'm about to ditch the beloved Hayes. I honestly think they are the very best brake I've ever used, but I have one beef with them, parts availability. I've been damn close to skunked on 3 trips due to that. One in Europe when my rotor got bent in transport and couldn't find the right replacement (Hayes use thicker rotors than standard), another time in Europe when I crashed and broke my clamp. And last week in SLC when I cut my line and couldn't find a replacement (thicker than standard), not even a damn barb (which is proprietary).
That last one convinced me that I just need to replace them with something that have more parts availability. I'd love to check out the new TRP DHR or the Formula Cura, both of which look super promising. But man, I'd be in the same boat with parts availability.

Shimano are off the table for me. Absolutely loathe that damn wandering bite point.

Code RSC are really great brakes. Do not get code R. the levers feel mushy

Posted: Jul 31, 2020 at 8:38 Quote
I love my Code RSC's. Lots of power and most importantly, nicely progressive.

Posted: Jul 31, 2020 at 9:34 Quote
Abacall wrote:

I am running the Hayes too and like them alot as well. Any reason you wouldn't wanna get some extra hose, olives, and levers to have on hand? I bought a genuine Hayes Dominion master cylinder with lever off ebay for around 50$ and hose and fittings for under 35$ You can run any rotor under 2.0mm with these brakes btw and they work fine. Doesn't have to be the Hayes specific if it keeps you going till you replace them.

Posted: Jul 31, 2020 at 19:34 Quote
Question about rotor choice. If should be asked elsewhere, please do tell.

I am looking to replace a pair of Guide from my Capra with a pair of Cura 4. The rotors that are currently installed are Sram rotors, 200 front and back. Wheels are DT Swiss w/ 240s hubs (read comments about rotor clearance issues on Cura 4 depending on hubs, so FYI).

Would these Sram rotors work with the Cura 4? Any recommendation otherwise from owners?

Posted: Jul 31, 2020 at 22:08 Quote
seismicninja wrote:
Abacall wrote:

I am running the Hayes too and like them alot as well. Any reason you wouldn't wanna get some extra hose, olives, and levers to have on hand? I bought a genuine Hayes Dominion master cylinder with lever off ebay for around 50$ and hose and fittings for under 35$ You can run any rotor under 2.0mm with these brakes btw and they work fine. Doesn't have to be the Hayes specific if it keeps you going till you replace them.

I’ve done that, practically have a full spare set. But when traveling with the bike I don’t really want to lug that around. Just would be so much more convenient and more likely to not get screwed if parts were readily available.
What sucks is that Hayes were so popular they used to have parts everywhere. Now that they make an amazing brake, for some reason they’re not popular. I feel like if more people tried them they’d be on more bikes.

Posted: Aug 1, 2020 at 1:09 Quote
Abacall wrote:

If you're going to run a non sram or Shimano brake and you plan on traveling it's a good idea to build a shit kit. Spare hose with fittings, two or three sets of brake pads and an extra rotor or two and bleed fittings. All of it fits in a ziplock bag that can live in your suitcase or gearbag

Posted: 3 days ago Quote
DabaZei wrote:

I am looking to replace a pair of Guide from my Capra with a pair of Cura 4. The rotors that are currently installed are Sram rotors, 200 front and back. Wheels are DT Swiss w/ 240s hubs (read comments about rotor clearance issues on Cura 4 depending on hubs, so FYI).

Would these Sram rotors work with the Cura 4? Any recommendation otherwise from owners?

I think it’s only a issue with floating rotors from Hope. The cheap sram rotor should be fine. I will say that my Formula rotors (2 piece) have lasted longer than the sram rotors did (both on my dh bike).

DHhack wrote:
DabaZei wrote:

I think it’s only a issue with floating rotors from Hope. The cheap sram rotor should be fine. I will say that my Formula rotors (2 piece) have lasted longer than the sram rotors did (both on my dh bike).

The floating Hope rotors are fine. It's the vented Hope rotors that won't work. They are made 2.3mm wide for the Hope v4 brake

ajax-ripper wrote:
Abacall wrote:

If you're going to run a non sram or Shimano brake and you plan on traveling it's a good idea to build a shit kit. Spare hose with fittings, two or three sets of brake pads and an extra rotor or two and bleed fittings. All of it fits in a ziplock bag that can live in your suitcase or gearbag

Totally agree, and I had most parts. Just feel like I need to lug around a whole other brake setup just to keep it workable.

I've heard talk that some Formula, TRP, and Magura brakes use Shimano/SRAM parts (line/barbs/pads, etc.). Anyone know for sure which and what compatibility?

Abacall wrote:
ajax-ripper wrote:
Abacall wrote:

Totally agree, and I had most parts. Just feel like I need to lug around a whole other brake setup just to keep it workable.

I've heard talk that some Formula, TRP, and Magura brakes use Shimano/SRAM parts (line/barbs/pads, etc.). Anyone know for sure which and what compatibility?
The tektro/ Trip brakes use the same pads as Shimano brakes, the hose itself is interchangeable however the barb and olive fittings are different

seismicninja wrote:
DHhack wrote:
DabaZei wrote:

The floating Hope rotors are fine. It's the vented Hope rotors that won't work. They are made 2.3mm wide for the Hope v4 brake

Thank you both for your input. So I sense that there are better choices than Sram rotors Smile which I am open to. Do you have suggestions in particular?

ajax-ripper wrote:
Abacall wrote:
ajax-ripper wrote:

The tektro/ Trip brakes use the same pads as Shimano brakes, the hose itself is interchangeable however the barb and olive fittings are different

Rockin'. Thanks. Leaning toward those new DHR evos now... Carrying a few barbs and olives is no big deal.

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.007222
Mobile Version of Website