What brakes are people running?

PB Forum :: Downhill
What brakes are people running?
O+
Posted: Sep 15, 2020 at 13:29 Quote
Nobble wrote:
From my experience it's really not worth it. Theres no brake with so much of performance increase that it's worth lugging around a full set of spares for it.

Just get SRAM/Shimano and then you can walk into any bike shop for service or pads, fittings, hoses, whatever.

If you think in the middle of summer that you could just walk into a bike shop and get something repaired ASAP you might be disappointed. Especially at Whistler.

Posted: Sep 15, 2020 at 13:41 Quote
krumpdancer101 wrote:
Nobble wrote:
From my experience it's really not worth it. Theres no brake with so much of performance increase that it's worth lugging around a full set of spares for it.

Just get SRAM/Shimano and then you can walk into any bike shop for service or pads, fittings, hoses, whatever.

If you think in the middle of summer that you could just walk into a bike shop and get something repaired ASAP you might be disappointed. Especially at Whistler.
Depends who you know and how much beer you bring.

But it doesn't matter if they don't have the parts to fix it. Wink

O+
Posted: Sep 15, 2020 at 14:29 Quote
Full disclosure I get a discount on TRP stuff but I have to say if they were not great I wouldn't be running them. I am going to be trying a set of the new DHR's on my DH bike soon with the wider 2.3mm rotors. I have heard really good things about them.

Another thing I really like about them that is to Nobbles point is that they can be repaired with shimano parts so they are relatively easy to find. They use mineral oil and the same lines and pads so never should be an issue.

Posted: Sep 15, 2020 at 14:49 Quote
mixmastamikal wrote:
Full disclosure I get a discount on TRP stuff but I have to say if they were not great I wouldn't be running them. I am going to be trying a set of the new DHR's on my DH bike soon with the wider 2.3mm rotors. I have heard really good things about them.

Another thing I really like about them that is to Nobbles point is that they can be repaired with shimano parts so they are relatively easy to find. They use mineral oil and the same lines and pads so never should be an issue.

I am also interested in the new DHR brakes and rotors. For some reason I have always been kinda meh about the look of TRP levers though so never considered them enough to try them. But if the new ones are really good I will probably give them a go

O+
Posted: Sep 15, 2020 at 16:21 Quote
Nobble wrote:
krumpdancer101 wrote:
Nobble wrote:

Depends who you know and how much beer you bring.

But it doesn't matter if they don't have the parts to fix it. Wink

That’s why I bring the parts with me and drink my beer while I fix it Wink

O+
Posted: Sep 15, 2020 at 16:44 Quote
seismicninja wrote:
mixmastamikal wrote:

I am also interested in the new DHR brakes and rotors. For some reason I have always been kinda meh about the look of TRP levers though so never considered them enough to try them. But if the new ones are really good I will probably give them a go

This is actually a really good point I would say that my biggest complaint of the G-Spec DH brakes I have is the chunkier lever shape compared to the thinner shimano shape which I really like. The new DHR evo's appear to be much better in this respect and that is another thing I have heard from my friends running them. Se definitely excited for that.

Posted: Sep 15, 2020 at 17:42 Quote
I run TRP
On all my bikes!

Yes Gspec Quad levers are chunky though really comfy

Posted: Sep 15, 2020 at 19:14 Quote
I run Sram Guide T'sConfused I'm honestly thinking about getting new Shimano Deores or TRP Quadiums. I'm on a tight budget, cause ya know, broke HS student, and was wondering if anyone had any opinions about those brakes (or more.)

Posted: Sep 16, 2020 at 2:13 Quote
Depends how you like the feel at lever from your brakes.

TRP do Slate 4s with decent 8” rotors for reasonable monies.

Checkit!!

Posted: Sep 16, 2020 at 4:37 Quote
FloridaHasMTBToo wrote:
I run Sram Guide T'sConfused I'm honestly thinking about getting new Shimano Deores or TRP Quadiums. I'm on a tight budget, cause ya know, broke HS student, and was wondering if anyone had any opinions about those brakes (or more.)

I have a set of deore 6100 brakes coming on friday for my sons bike. I'm hoping the new lever design does as advertised. For 120$ a set, they're a solid contender if so.

Posted: Sep 19, 2020 at 20:41 Quote
MT7 calipers with m8100 levers. Shigura lives up to its reputation

Posted: Sep 21, 2020 at 1:43 Quote
onlyDH wrote:
MT7 calipers with m8100 levers. Shigura lives up to its reputation
Do you have the modulation or not ?

Posted: Sep 21, 2020 at 4:04 Quote
My next experiment is Hope levers and Dominion A4 calipers.

Posted: Sep 21, 2020 at 5:17 Quote
Lol like Pik’n’Mix sweets

Posted: Sep 21, 2020 at 6:29 Quote
I'm running Avid Elixir 3's on Stinky (Kona Stinky 5) with those kinda oddball 185mm rotors front and rear....and TruckerCo. sintered pads.

The lever feel is always firm and in the same spot. I know there are much better brakes out there, and you guys are probably laughing at my @$$ right now....lol...., but fwiw they've been solid and served me well.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.022685
Mobile Version of Website