What brakes are people running?

PB Forum :: Downhill
What brakes are people running?
Posted: Feb 24, 2021 at 9:04 Quote
ScaryGuiTarS wrote:
There was ONE THING I didn't ask here that still puzzles me a bit. When using a caliper and rotor set that are designed with 200mm rotors (in this case Code RSC caliper with SRAM Centerline rotor), are there any specific problems or recommended mounting adjustments, hardware parts, etc., that have to be adapted when going to a 203mm rotor?

I think it would be a 1.5mm increase toward the edge or the rotor. Is that enough difference that the mounting adapter should be replaced as well? IDK that one just puzzles me. Most "200 mil rotors" are actually 203, probably to match an SAE measurement.

~JSV
Most people either put a 203mm adapter on, or put washers between the caliper and adapter. Just one washer per bolt is sufficient.

Posted: Feb 24, 2021 at 9:07 Quote
ScaryGuiTarS wrote:
There was ONE THING I didn't ask here that still puzzles me a bit. When using a caliper and rotor set that are designed with 200mm rotors (in this case Code RSC caliper with SRAM Centerline rotor), are there any specific problems or recommended mounting adjustments, hardware parts, etc., that have to be adapted when going to a 203mm rotor?

I think it would be a 1.5mm increase toward the edge or the rotor. Is that enough difference that the mounting adapter should be replaced as well? IDK that one just puzzles me. Most "200 mil rotors" are actually 203, probably to match an SAE measurement.

If I remember correctly I just added a couple little spacers washers under the caliper to make up the difference. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

~JSV

Posted: Feb 24, 2021 at 11:53 Quote
ScaryGuiTarS wrote:

~JSV
A washer under the caliper and you're set. Definitely don't bother changing the adapter for 1.5mm Smile

Posted: Feb 25, 2021 at 10:02 Quote
I keep a selection of stainless shim washers in .1mm increments to get the pad coverage on the rotor that I prefer, and that goes for any combination. I've found that "identical" mounts and rotors across bikes or component manufacturers varies slightly, and I feel like if I'm looking for that brake to work as well as it should the interface should be maximized. No point to more aggressive pads and bigger rollers if there's only 80% contact.

Posted: Mar 20, 2021 at 18:12 Quote
Most powerful brakes for around $150 USD each for 2021? Code R, MT5, Cura 4, Shimano Zee's (Can't find anywhere?)

Posted: Mar 20, 2021 at 18:43 Quote
brentwhipple wrote:
Most powerful brakes for around $150 USD each for 2021? Code R, MT5, Cura 4, Shimano Zee's (Can't find anywhere?)

Code if you want easier parts availability. I loved my Cura 4 set but it was order parts online and wait only (back in 2018/19). Zee are pretty old design, rumor of new stuff coming forever now. MT5 levers are fragile in a crash.

Posted: Mar 21, 2021 at 9:30 Quote
I did the mod. Had the 200mm front Centerline rotor for my Code RSCs. Got the 200mm up from 180 for my rear.
Ordered a spacer bracket that was the exact same as the one on my front (forks), worked perfect. Had to cut one of the mounting screws due to the depth, but that worked out np.
Used the torque wrench and got my orange rotor bolts in as well. 200 front and rear now, s00pa'-d00pa'!

~JSV

Posted: Apr 11, 2021 at 2:15 Quote
Got some g2 ultimates going on my new build and have decided to go down the route of getting trickstuff pads for them. Now the question is do I just get centreline rotors or would there be any advantage to popping some trickstuff rotors in the cart while I’m at it? Cheers!

Posted: Apr 11, 2021 at 10:08 Quote
Jeddi7 wrote:
Got some g2 ultimates going on my new build and have decided to go down the route of getting trickstuff pads for them. Now the question is do I just get centreline rotors or would there be any advantage to popping some trickstuff rotors in the cart while I’m at it? Cheers!
I have CODE RSC's. When I was going to up my rear rotor size (to 200mm) I went through a whole thing where I THOUGHT I'd be ok going to a different, or perhaps 'better' rotor. ALL the advice I was getting from every bike mech was to definitely stay with the Centerlines.

Maybe some riders in these forums more experienced w/different brands of brakes can share better info from their knowledge and/or experiences, but I was SO convinced that I'd be doing my brake system no justice by going to different rotors other than the Centerlines.
I mean, they're still VERY GOOD rotors, and I guess the advice totally convinced me. My brakes are fine, super tight, extremely responsive, no doubt the best brakes I've used. Just wanted to share my 2-cents since you have Sram brakes too.

~JSV

Posted: Apr 11, 2021 at 10:21 Quote
Thicker rotors would be nice, but the design of the rotors nowadays doesn't matter very much. There's absolutely no problems running a Formula or Trickstuff rotor on a pair of Codes or Guides, the only limitation might come from the 2.3mm thick TRP rotors, or the vented Hope rotors (too thick maybe) or the semi-floating rotors like the Hope (in case the caliper hits the rivets)

Cheap "thick" rotors are the Magura HC (2.0mm) and they work just fine. Same with the Formula Cura rotors, 2.0mm thick and they work just fine (got those on a pair of MT5 calipers on the DH bike, in 220/203)

If your rotors are toast and needs replacing, or prone to overheating, you might want to consider thicker rotors (Centerline rotors are 1.85mm if I recall correctly, except for the 220mm version, which is 2.0mm)

You can go for the Trickstuff ones if you want, they're on the pricier side of things though (and I wished they made the 203mm rotor with the pattern of the 223, that looks better in my opinion)

Posted: Apr 11, 2021 at 23:19 Quote
Interesting stuff and thanks for the quick replies. I’ll skip on the trickstuff rotors for now although they do look so sharp. The conversation on the last page regarding the thicker maguras seems quite convincing so I’ll bring that up with my LBS when I grab my new wheelset in the upcoming weeks.

Posted: Apr 14, 2021 at 18:11 Quote
ScaryGuiTarS wrote:
Jeddi7 wrote:
I have CODE RSC's. When I was going to up my rear rotor size (to 200mm) I went through a whole thing where I THOUGHT I'd be ok going to a different, or perhaps 'better' rotor. ALL the advice I was getting from every bike mech was to definitely stay with the Centerlines.

Maybe some riders in these forums more experienced w/different brands of brakes can share better info from their knowledge and/or experiences, but I was SO convinced that I'd be doing my brake system no justice by going to different rotors other than the Centerlines.
I mean, they're still VERY GOOD rotors, and I guess the advice totally convinced me. My brakes are fine, super tight, extremely responsive, no doubt the best brakes I've used. Just wanted to share my 2-cents since you have Sram brakes too.

~JSV

I have 2 bikes with codes. One has centerline rotors. The other has ice tech. I can't tell the difference between the 2.

Posted: Apr 15, 2021 at 0:29 Quote
I ran centrelines, the only issue I had was they squealed a lot in the wet, went to Icetech which made less noise in the wet. Now on Magura MDR-P which which are also quieter in the wet IMO.

Posted: Apr 15, 2021 at 13:21 Quote
Look, I take advice from these forums seriously. I was only posting what bike mech's were telling me, and they were ALL very adamant about NOT going to anything else other than Centerlines for my CODE RSCs. I'm not saying I should tell anyone else to follow that, but I was sharing here so the rest of you would know what I had been told.

I STILL would consider something else in the future. I agree with (@exmouthlocal); I too have noticed a little bit of howl when the rotors are wet, but I did ALSO notice that they "clean off" and dry up rather quickly and the squeal goes away after just a couple/few brake stops. Dose that have to do with my running both 200mm rotor, IDK? Maybe the kinds of pads could even change that.
I'd still consider a different rotor though, but I do think there's something to all that recommendation I was getting from the repair shops.

One thing I can say though, using the Centerline rotors, I can never complain with how strong and secure the braking is. I have bedded my pads correctly, broke in the new 200mm rear rotor correctly and these things are tight. With the Sram brakes they indeed ARE KNOWN to have that tad-bit more modulation feel than what's comparable to say Shimano brakes. I'm learning to like that a lot more, but it's a very suggestible language. First I have CODE RSCs which don't perform exactly the same as some other Sram brakes, and I feel they're superior, maybe the best all around design by Sram.
I get most of that "modulated" feel from the minor adjustments these have. When I grip QUICKLY for a firm stop, these things don't take much effort, generally a one-finger to stop-short. They're extremely responsive. You have to feel with a much lighter touch to experience that modulation that so many talk about. (The faster I'm going though the more I 'feel' that modulation) Now that I have these on a bike I realized they are very secure tight gripping and fast reacting brakes.

~JSV

Posted: Apr 15, 2021 at 15:36 Quote
If someone told you that you shouldn't run anything other than centerline rotors with codes, then I'm sorry, but they don't know what they're talking about. You can use any rotor you want. All I'm saying is that I hated the squealing that my centerline rotors made. Modulation, power, everything else was great. No complaints. Other than the noise. Now that I have the magura floating rotors, the noise is pretty much non existent. Also, I feel like they do have slightly more power.

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.007282
Mobile Version of Website