What brakes are people running?

PB Forum :: Downhill
What brakes are people running?
| Next Page
Posted: Aug 7, 2022 at 6:46 Quote
ThaKingOfShredFred wrote:
I know this is not mechanic thread, But I have TRP DHR-evo, and I recently had them bled at a shop and they told me I was low on pad life, so I had them throw in new pads from a brand called MTX, I'd never heard of it. 3 days later and 7,000 ft of descending the rear brake is howling like a dog and has a quarter of the power compared to the old pads. The rear brake also has a scary soft modulation. I also noticed fluid on the brake caliper and near the rear axle, I thought it might have been brake fluid, but the bike shop confirmed it was just water. I was still skeptical. What are your thoughts what should I do?
Rebleed brake, clean rotors and pads with 90%+ alcohol. If problem persists, and you are sure there is fluid leaking, you may need to replace piston seals. Make sure its not fluid coming from the bleed nipple, and ensure it's all the way closed in.

Posted: Aug 8, 2022 at 0:39 Quote
I know this is not mechanic thread, But I have TRP DHR-evo, and I recently had them bled at a shop and they told me I was low on pad life, so I had them throw in new pads from a brand called MTX, I'd never heard of it. 3 days later and 7,000 ft of descending the rear brake is howling like a dog and has a quarter of the power compared to the old pads. The rear brake also has a scary soft modulation. I also noticed fluid on the brake caliper and near the rear axle, I thought it might have been brake fluid, but the bike shop confirmed it was just water. I was still skeptical. What are your thoughts what should I do?

Those brakes and pads are super powerful. MTX pads are top shelf. Is there dirt caked on the rear caliper? It reads like the rear brake got contaminated and oil would attract dirt.

O+
Posted: Aug 8, 2022 at 13:57 Quote
ibishreddin wrote:
Anyone run trp quadium? How are they? Have a chance to buy a pair used locally for cheap

I have these on one of my bikes currently and they are a great brake. I would definitely recommend them if you can get a good deal.

Posted: Aug 9, 2022 at 20:22 Quote
I didn't rebleed them cause I didn't have the kit, (I'm on vacation), but I did find isopropyl alcohol, and clean them. After doing so I noticed that the pads were far from centered in the caliper, but what scared the hell out of me was that the bolts on the caliper were finger tight! I'm guessing this is why the brakes lacked any bite. After doing this, the brakes were dead silent and survived multiple steep double blacks.

Also in case you are wondering the bike shop that installed these pads is called Salt Cycles

Posted: Aug 10, 2022 at 6:38 Quote
I didn't rebleed them cause I didn't have the kit, (I'm on vacation), but I did find isopropyl alcohol, and clean them. After doing so I noticed that the pads were far from centered in the caliper, but what scared the hell out of me was that the bolts on the caliper were finger tight! I'm guessing this is why the brakes lacked any bite. After doing this, the brakes were dead silent and survived multiple steep double blacks.

Also in case you are wondering the bike shop that installed these pads is called Salt Cycles
Salt Cycles in SLC? Damn, that would be a shame. Make sure you call them and let them know, that kind of messy work needs to be addressed since it’s a safety issue.
Glad you got it sorted.

Posted: Aug 14, 2022 at 15:58 Quote
Bike techs are just underpaid dudes, like anybody else sometimes distractions result in things being missed. Call the shop let them know, they may have a chat with the Tech or implement new QC standards as a result.

Posted: Aug 14, 2022 at 17:38 Quote
They have been notified, I was suprised that salt cycles did such a poor job, their ratings suggest otherwise as well as things I've heard from friends.

Posted: Aug 14, 2022 at 21:20 Quote
how do i get in touch w a moderator?

Posted: Aug 15, 2022 at 8:04 Quote
They have been notified, I was suprised that salt cycles did such a poor job, their ratings suggest otherwise as well as things I've heard from friends.
I expect your experience is an outlier, most shops will do what it takes to make things right.

O+
Posted: Aug 15, 2022 at 8:05 Quote

They are typically a very solid shop so I am surprised to hear this as well.

Posted: Aug 23, 2022 at 18:47 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:
I expect your experience is an outlier, most shops will do what it takes to make things right.

Let's hope so

| Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.007646
Mobile Version of Website