mtx - pinch resistant bead

PB Forum :: Downhill
mtx - pinch resistant bead
  • Next Page
O+
Posted: Jan 5, 2009 at 20:25 Quote
i used shitty xc tubes and never had a problem hitting rim on the ground i run dmr moto digger tires on stype rims 2.5 inch wide tires with 2inch tube

O+
Posted: Jan 5, 2009 at 20:28 Quote
xt-shreder wrote:
iv never gotten a pinch flat with normal beads

Posted: Jan 5, 2009 at 21:07 Quote
gregmazo wrote:
Yeah I guess im unlucky, to add to my luck..., i had maxxis minion UST tires AND stans in them.On the other side, i have a mavic crossmax wheelset on my cross-country bike and never got any issue.

Thats really weird.. Supposedly UST tires dont even need Sealant!! I dont really like UST tires anyways.. Heavier and they only come in one compound!..

Anyways sorry for derailling the thread!Beer Salute

O+
Posted: Jan 6, 2009 at 9:39 Quote
cbc24 wrote:
i used shitty xc tubes and never had a problem hitting rim on the ground i run dmr moto digger tires on stype rims 2.5 inch wide tires with 2inch tube

HAHA XC tubes are the only way to be keeps weight down and their dirt cheap I'v been running 1.95 in my 2.5's and the slightly ironic thing buddy of mine rides tubeless on 823's and he flatted at golden I made it through mount 7 pycosis and kickinghorse race without a flat kinda dinged my guide up a bit tho.

Ryan

O+
Posted: Jan 6, 2009 at 10:07 Quote
rubbersidedown661 wrote:
It really depends on your tire pressure to you know.

Additionally you will have to look at the hardness/softness of the alloy the rim is made of... For example, soft = less flats - Hard = more flats.
If you look it up, you will find the DTSwiss are increasing the hardness of their rims for 2009 as too many people complained that they dingged way too easy, however why do so many pro's run them? Less Flats.... Thats why.
Mavic is also a touch on the soft side, the bead will fold a bit before you get a pinch. I have a 521 that looks like a bashed crab but has never given me a flat... EVER!!!!
And again, the MTX's are harder than both of these.... So I have had many flats on MTX's... Granted I am about as smooth as Nathan Rennie through a rock garden...

From my experience this is how I see it...
Softest = 2006 mavic, 2008 and earlier DTSwiss
Medium = 2008+2009 Mavic, WTB
Hard = Sun MTX, ALEX

Also, make sure if you get MTX's get the full MTX and not the S-Type... The S-Type is pinned and the Full MTX has a welded seam. Thats the only difference opposed to the newer width offering in the MTX range.

KF

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.014020
Mobile Version of Website