How do i make my forks plush?

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
How do i make my forks plush?
Posted: Dec 29, 2008 at 9:32 Quote
BL4ZINL3W wrote:
antster94 wrote:
im going out tomorrow biking so il put it inside the day after. thanks for the help guys
wtf why not put it in tonight?

cos i wont have my radiators on at night

Posted: Dec 29, 2008 at 9:34 Quote
antster94 wrote:
BL4ZINL3W wrote:
antster94 wrote:
im going out tomorrow biking so il put it inside the day after. thanks for the help guys

oh right i dont think you need radiators? just a bit of warmth?

Posted: Dec 29, 2008 at 9:35 Quote
BL4ZINL3W wrote:
antster94 wrote:
BL4ZINL3W wrote:

will it work without radiators?

Posted: Dec 29, 2008 at 9:36 Quote
antster94 wrote:
BL4ZINL3W wrote:
antster94 wrote:

probably its warmer than outside inside so im guessing so

Posted: Dec 29, 2008 at 9:37 Quote
BL4ZINL3W wrote:
antster94 wrote:
BL4ZINL3W wrote:

ok ill try it tonight. thanks for your help guys

Posted: Dec 29, 2008 at 9:39 Quote
antster94 wrote:
BL4ZINL3W wrote:
antster94 wrote:

ok ill try it tonight. thanks for your help guys
yeh thanks everyone

Posted: Dec 30, 2008 at 0:24 Quote
BL4ZINL3W wrote:
yeh thanks everyone

"Everyone" lol That cracks me up. No problem.

Posted: Dec 30, 2008 at 21:02 Quote
JokerMachine wrote:
BL4ZINL3W wrote:
antster94 wrote:
Hi,
laugh all you want but my rst launches have gone SUPER hard. how can i make them again?
thanks
this has happened on my darts just today and i wanta to know the same thing

Your Darts probably have elastomer as well, they're a budget fork. Same thing, if you ride in the cold, they will freeze up and not work very well, or at all.

Ahhh... no these forks do not have elastomers in them, they have a coil springs . Go to the RS website and look at the exploded view drawing. Go to the RST website and see the list of parts for the Launch.

The internet is a wonderful thing, full of information... took me 30 seconds to find the RST info and I just rebuilt a Dart today. If it is cold where you are it will thicken the oil and stiffen the fork a bit. It might also cause the seals an wipers to tighten up too. Cycling or pumping them a few times in the cold then putting them inside and letting them warm up for a day or so then cycling again to see if they are softer would tell you if its the temperature or something else.

Posted: Dec 31, 2008 at 2:50 Quote
davemud wrote:
Ahhh... no these forks do not have elastomers in them, they have a coil springs . Go to the RS website and look at the exploded view drawing. Go to the RST website and see the list of parts for the Launch.

Damn. There's no elastomer in there at all? The Launch has no oil, I'm pretty sure, and it can't be coil only, there's actually... damping.

Posted: Dec 31, 2008 at 3:14 Quote
BL4ZINL3W wrote:
damn what shoould i do then

put socks on the forks legs Smile

Posted: Dec 31, 2008 at 3:21 Quote
AmirB wrote:
BL4ZINL3W wrote:
damn what shoould i do then
put socks on the forks legs Smile

Yeah keep that shit toasty.

Posted: Dec 31, 2008 at 17:44 Quote
The Launch TA 100 and TA 130 are oil damped the T8 100 and T8 130 are not oil damped according to the spec list on RSTs website. Both forks are listed as coil spring and MCU. MCU is the elastomer and both forks have multiple top out bumbers. The top out bumbers would be the elastomers.

The TA series has the coil spring and bumpers in the left and the damping in the right leg. The T8 series has the coils and top out bumbers in both legs. Unless they are using the top out bumpers to preload the coil spring its unlikely they are affecting travel in the cold. It depends on how the fork works but it is more likely the oil if the fork in question is a TA series fork and not a T8 series fork.

Posted: Dec 31, 2008 at 18:00 Quote
The darts freeze up all the time cause they have plastic dampers that have a life of about 10-15 rides. While cheap (and sorta easy) to replace I would upgrade that fork as soon as possible!

Posted: Dec 31, 2008 at 18:10 Quote
bigquotesthis has happened on my darts just today and i wanta to know the same thing[/Quote]
how many do you have?Confused

Posted: Dec 31, 2008 at 18:13 Quote
my mate put 2 stroke oil on his forks when they went hard and they went really soft and plush lol

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.020992
Mobile Version of Website