Info on living in Whistler

PB Forum :: Canada - West
Info on living in Whistler
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jan 3, 2009 at 14:04 Quote
Hey guys, just wondering how many of you actually live at Whistler. I know its a resort town, but there must be people living there doing all the jobs it takes to keep the place running.
It must be an expensive place to live, and probably hard to find a job too. Any info anyone could give me would be greatly appreciated.Big Grin

O+
Posted: Jan 3, 2009 at 14:11 Quote
i went during the ski season once, and it was really busy the whole time and it didnt look like much employment was available, but probs when all the skiers go home and the bikers arrive there will be employment then

Posted: Jan 3, 2009 at 14:31 Quote
I mean it is a town right, so there must be jobs that normal towns have that become available sometimes.

Mod
Posted: Jan 3, 2009 at 14:36 Quote
There are jobs but finding accommodations is difficult especially now with the Olympics so close. Vacancy rates are low as people are snatching up property there and will cash-in next year when they charge thousands of dollars for their shithole apartment that someone will pay for while attending the Winter Olympics. Whistler always has people there. It is not just a resort town. It is a small city. Look at all the hotels there, shopping, etc. This is definitely more than any resort town would ever have. They have their own municipal services such as fire fighters, paramedics, and police. Most resort towns operate on a much smaller scale and have volunteer fire fighters and paramedics and RCMP within a decent drive away. Whistler is the polar opposite. The only thing it has in common with a resort town are the inflated prices.

Posted: Jan 3, 2009 at 14:43 Quote
Any info of what it would take to become a guide up there? I guess you have to know there area inside out, but I am sure they must have pretty high standards for guides at a place like that. probably at the very least would be wilderness first aid, and for sure some kind of guiding course.

Mod
Posted: Jan 3, 2009 at 14:47 Quote
Whistler "prides" themselves on safety. Although it is difficult to say that right now with all the avalanches, deaths, and tower collapse, they are pretty good at what they do in order to prevent accidents from occurring. To be a guide for skiing, you need to be qualified and accredited. You need your guide ticket in order to work with any of the tour operators up there. Wilderness first aid won’t even get your shoe in the door. Are you looking for a summer or winter job? Whistler pretty much only hires the best of the best up there.

Posted: Jan 3, 2009 at 14:50 Quote
Well I was talking about biking. Skiing is more established, mountain biking is relatively new and as far as I know has no real courses for guide certification.

Mod
Posted: Jan 3, 2009 at 15:02 Quote
I'd look at IMBA for information.

Posted: Jan 3, 2009 at 15:05 Quote
I thought they were more of a trail building organization.

Mod
Posted: Jan 3, 2009 at 15:24 Quote
They basically help advance mountain biking and make it more mainstream within the outdoor/recreation participants and try to get them involved in riding. However, I believe that within the past few years, they have diversified more from just being a trail building organization to being a cycling association dealing with everything. They have mountainbike instructor training and patrol training that might be beneficial to you to see what a place like Whistler would be looking for.

Posted: Jan 3, 2009 at 15:45 Quote
Cool, I'll check it out then. Thanks for all your help, I appreciate it.Smile

Posted: Jan 3, 2009 at 18:23 Quote
Does anyone know how to find good places to live in Whistler? I don't want to live in staff accomodation or anything like that. Somewhere to rent for a month at a halfway reasonable rate. I've tried google and I'm waiting for some replies but nothing is really excellent yet.

Mod
Posted: Jan 3, 2009 at 18:25 Quote
Local newspapers sometimes have places for rent or roommates wanted. I have also seen ads in some of the coffee shops, pubs, and ski shops advertising people's ads. You can try craigslist and kijiji too.

Posted: Jan 3, 2009 at 21:03 Quote
I live in whistler and have for 10 years yes its expenceve but its not acctully that hard to find jobs
and u could work for the mountain and thell give u a free seasons pass!!! and they always need workers

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012389
Mobile Version of Website