Most annoying bike shop employee

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Most annoying bike shop employee
FL
Posted: Jan 23, 2009 at 6:31 Quote
SpikeX wrote:
I have a couple of stories of things that happened at the bike shop I go to on holiday in Switzerland.

First one. I come in one day with my Demo (this was in September last year) and I ask them if they have replacement bearings for my headset, and if they could remove the top cap bolt, which was stripped. The guy said that to remove the bolt on my top cap he would have to saw into my top cap with a hacksaw and then try and break the screw with a hacksaw. I just told him I would come in another time. 5 minutes later I get some screw extractors from the hardware store and remove the bolt in 2 minutes myself, with no damage or anything.

Another story is when I dropped my bike off to get new brake pads (I had no tools at the time to do it myself at our house there). The guy firstly took an hour to do both of them, and at the end of it all he didn't put my Maxle back in properly (yes I know, you wonder how that is possible). So therefore the hub and brake disc weren't perfectly parallel to the fork, and the brake disc began wearing into the pads halfway through my next run down the mountain. The brake actually started smoking. Turns out the pad spacer had been completely burnt due to the heat of the disc wearing down the pads so much because of the abnormal angle.

They've done so many other things too - forgot to tighten my stem (OK I admit I should have checked beforehand, but when a shop works on your bike you expect them to check something like that themselves), so I fell badly during a training run for a race. They put my Minions on backwards (again, I didn't even have tyre levers to do the job myself at the time), and when they had to send my fork back for warranty and they reinstalled it on the bike they routed the front brake hose so that it would rub against the side of the wheel.

I've got some more, but I have to go now so I'll post them later.

You've gotta find a different shop! It's not unreasonable to expect that when you get a bike back from the shop it will be safe to operate. That can be a liability issue. Can you imagine, little Jimmy, who has no idea how to ensure his stem is tightened, goes for a run and seriously injures himself? That's dangerous.

Posted: Jan 23, 2009 at 6:31 Quote
skatejunkie wrote:
Everyone posting on this thread should know that many people that own and work at bike shops read these forums, one of those people is me. Just a heads up but if you think your getting poor service now, wait until your local bike shop finds out that you've been giving them a bad name on an international level, most shops will not appreciate that and probably refuse to serve you.

It also sends out a poor message to the rest of the world when people crap talk the people that keep there sport alive because lets face it, without your local bike shops you wouldn't be out riding and having fun. Also many shops have relations with all the other local shops and the last thing you want to be known for is being an ungrateful customer.

I'm am in no way defending poor service, I've been to bad shops before and I know its a pain in the ass and makes you never want to go back but sometimes its better to try to be friends with the employees than to discredit there shop publicly...
I didn't see the names of any bike shops, nor employees? Were there any? Any pictures?

And, as for refusing service.........Do you promise? I won't let an LBS do anything to my bike except true the rims. I don't have the equipment or patience for that- YET. I have spent lots of money on tools- and I suggest bike owners do the same. As for parts, there are DOZENS of wholesale websites out there.......

Hell, I can buy tubes at the local Wal Mart. Do we really NEED an LBS?

FL
Posted: Jan 23, 2009 at 6:36 Quote
There is certainly a place and need for the local bike shop. They help organize events, promote the sport, give you the opportunity to test bikes, sell bikes to kids (which is how the sport grows) and can be a generally fun place to stop in and talk shop.

Posted: Jan 23, 2009 at 6:40 Quote
R-P-S wrote:
There is certainly a place and need for the local bike shop. They help organize events, promote the sport, give you the opportunity to test bikes, sell bikes to kids (which is how the sport grows) and can be a generally fun place to stop in and talk shop.

I have yet to find this bike shop you speak of. None of my experiences (and I've had several) have been positive. Granted, I'm sure they exist in Toronto. That's a great city! So Ca is short on them. This Fixed Gear craze has pretty much ruined the LBS near Los Angeles. Everyone is a snobby bike messenger.

Posted: Jan 23, 2009 at 6:52 Quote
R-P-S wrote:
SpikeX wrote:
I have a couple of stories of things that happened at the bike shop I go to on holiday in Switzerland.

First one. I come in one day with my Demo (this was in September last year) and I ask them if they have replacement bearings for my headset, and if they could remove the top cap bolt, which was stripped. The guy said that to remove the bolt on my top cap he would have to saw into my top cap with a hacksaw and then try and break the screw with a hacksaw. I just told him I would come in another time. 5 minutes later I get some screw extractors from the hardware store and remove the bolt in 2 minutes myself, with no damage or anything.

Another story is when I dropped my bike off to get new brake pads (I had no tools at the time to do it myself at our house there). The guy firstly took an hour to do both of them, and at the end of it all he didn't put my Maxle back in properly (yes I know, you wonder how that is possible). So therefore the hub and brake disc weren't perfectly parallel to the fork, and the brake disc began wearing into the pads halfway through my next run down the mountain. The brake actually started smoking. Turns out the pad spacer had been completely burnt due to the heat of the disc wearing down the pads so much because of the abnormal angle.

They've done so many other things too - forgot to tighten my stem (OK I admit I should have checked beforehand, but when a shop works on your bike you expect them to check something like that themselves), so I fell badly during a training run for a race. They put my Minions on backwards (again, I didn't even have tyre levers to do the job myself at the time), and when they had to send my fork back for warranty and they reinstalled it on the bike they routed the front brake hose so that it would rub against the side of the wheel.

I've got some more, but I have to go now so I'll post them later.

You've gotta find a different shop! It's not unreasonable to expect that when you get a bike back from the shop it will be safe to operate. That can be a liability issue. Can you imagine, little Jimmy, who has no idea how to ensure his stem is tightened, goes for a run and seriously injures himself? That's dangerous.

Problem is that all the 3 shops there are exactly the same, and they're well overpriced too.

FL
Posted: Jan 23, 2009 at 7:24 Quote
rocklegacy wrote:
R-P-S wrote:

I have yet to find this bike shop you speak of. None of my experiences (and I've had several) have been positive. Granted, I'm sure they exist in Toronto. That's a great city! So Ca is short on them. This Fixed Gear craze has pretty much ruined the LBS near Los Angeles. Everyone is a snobby bike messenger.

Haha fair enough! Guess it's a trade off though. We've got 10 feet of snow outside and you guys are in a heat spell!

Posted: Jan 23, 2009 at 7:37 Quote
konarider92 wrote:
twowheeledFREAKshow wrote:
konarider92 wrote:

i feel your pain but, at my shop specialized tends to be sorta slow with orders, plus its hard to just order a single item, and the fact that its winter outside your shop is prob not gonna be ordering a ton so they must build up an order list.
i think at south you got great service a couple times ive come in and needed small stuff like hayes rebuild kit and stuff and its in before i can convince my parents to drive me in.

Salute we try our best! east has quite a bit more of Dh/freeride parts but we can hold our own
i got my boxxer rebuilt after a HORRIBLE beating at silver and i went into east i said how much for a complete rebuild...65 bucks i was like wow came to you guys...i think it was 40 for the seals labor and oil

Posted: Jan 23, 2009 at 8:02 Quote
konafarker wrote:
This is the best one....
I went into a LBS (Kona Dealer) and was chasing a new 150mm Bolt through axel for my Stab as mine was stripped.

Easy Fix right.. Just call Kona, Order part and call me when it is in... ahh not so.

So dude looks through 3 books of wholesale parts asking me what brand of hub it is... I am saying it does not matter, it is a kona part.. No No...
So I entertain the idiot... Its a Sun Ringle, He looks through the books some more points to some hubs... Ahhhh no, no, no....
Once again, Its a Ringle Hub and I need a Kona Stab Axel...
Answer - Call Sun Ringle as we dont stock that brand...
Idiot!
I called Kona, They Shipped out a replacment with their Rep the next week for FREE!!!
Very Nice recovery on Kona's behalf. Thanks Kona!!!

Exactly!! i hate that..

Book treatment.

When you don't want to work, consult the book and make it look like your smart and cant find something.

I asked to order in a new bearing ring for my FSA headset.

FSA offers then like 2$ a piece of the FSA site.

He insists on looking into the book for half an hour, hmming and mmmming and then finally at the end of one of his god forsaken mmmmmmmmmmm....-NO.. and that was that, even though i saw the page for FSA with the bearing ring, 1.5, 2$ .. right on the page with a picture, he skipped it, i pointed it out to him and he said he cant order it.

Ok so? ... ticked me off.

Posted: Jan 23, 2009 at 8:17 Quote
last spring i went to a bike shop in Toronto (not posting names but they carried Kona). well anyways, i was looking for a DH bike at the time.

so I start looking around and pull out a Stab Deluxe and start to look at it. then the shop Employee comes over and starts this conversation. BTW, he had like 2 inch stretchers, snakebites, and talked with a lisp and looked like a complete fool.

Employee:nice bike eh
me: yeah its nice, I'm looking for a downhill bike.

so then he begins to tell me why i shouldn't buy the bike

Employee: we live in Ontario, you don't need this bike
me: I'm looking for DH specific bike, not an AM bike
Employee: oh, still you don't need it, a DH bike in Ontario is overkill
me: then why do you carry them
Employee: it brings people to the store
me: well i still need a DH bike, I'm spending half a month in Quebec next season and racing O-cup.
Employee: i don't think that you should get this bike then
me: i wasn't planning on it, Kona's aren't even that great anyway
Employee: well hold on then i think i might have a bike you want

so he goes somewhere in the back and comes out with a 2007 Kona Blast.

me: that is no were close to a DH bike
Employee: yeah it is, a dude i know rides his mad hard
me: well I'm looking for a full suspension, dual crown, actual downhill bike
Employee: no man, you can easy upgrade this bike to like a 888 fork or something, Kona is a versatile bike.

after that i just said that my dad is waiting and i should leave. probably the most stupid kid i've ever talked too. how he got hired i don't know.

Posted: Jan 23, 2009 at 8:44 Quote
i ordered a new frame and i emphasized i want v brake mounts on it cause i dont like discs. Frame comes in only disc brake mounts on it. i didnt want to wait another 4 weeks so i just put disc brakes on.

Posted: Jan 23, 2009 at 8:58 Quote
Ten years ago in my hometown, in an un-named shop:

I bought an on-sale bike from the least-busy bike shop in town. I should have known...

I watched my mechanic mount the bead of my rear tire with a crescent wrench. Then, I found out that he rebuilt my new rim with used spokes from my previous, busted build! The wheel came out of tension about a month after the build. Then they tried to sell me a Klein Mantra! Big Grin

Another shop in that town refused service on my bike (an emergency, just-riding-by tweak) because the bike was about average muddy!

I don't want to just whine and complain about shops because I've had wonderful experiences with other shops since. I understand that for shop owners, it's sometimes frustrating to serve a bunch of pinkbike'ers who buy used parts, never spend retail, abuse their bikes and try hacked fixes all the time. But it isn't too much to ask for a shop to be RIGHT about what they tell you, follow some sort of mechanical best practice and to work for you to make a sale.

Posted: Jan 23, 2009 at 9:10 Quote
The Asian mechanic at Cycle Solutions (Gerrard and Parliament in Toronto) is a complete a*shole. He told me my fork was "a piece of shit" and wouldn't replace my seals. So I got a new fork from a real bike shop. DO NOT go to Cycle Solutions for bike maintenance. The owner of Hogtown is also a dick. I was buying like $800 worth of shit and he was trying to rush me so his employee could go clean the back room. Apparently I am a magnet for useless bike shop employees.

Posted: Jan 23, 2009 at 9:32 Quote
recklessness wrote:
The Asian mechanic at Cycle Solutions (Gerrard and Parliament in Toronto) is a complete a*shole. He told me my fork was "a piece of shit" and wouldn't replace my seals. So I got a new fork from a real bike shop. DO NOT go to Cycle Solutions for bike maintenance. The owner of Hogtown is also a dick. I was buying like $800 worth of shit and he was trying to rush me so his employee could go clean the back room. Apparently I am a magnet for useless bike shop employees.

yeah, i've been to Cycle Solutions. not impressed at all with them. they do sponsor alot of stuff though, so i won't rant on.

Posted: Jan 23, 2009 at 9:36 Quote
odin333 wrote:
recklessness wrote:

yeah, i've been to Cycle Solutions. not impressed at all with them. they do sponsor alot of stuff though, so i won't rant on.

Good, I'm not the only one that noticed they suck. Ever since Milos left Cycle Solutions they have been spiraling the toilet of life.

Posted: Jan 23, 2009 at 9:45 Quote
There is a difference between trying to make money and being extremely pushy and trying to sell everything to you every time you walk in the door.

photoguy9 wrote:
slabHB wrote:
There is a really annoying guy that works at my LBS. He isn't a bad guy, but if you go into buy like one small thing, he tries to sell you everything in the store. Like the kinda dude that if you walk in to buy a new tube he will try to sell you a bike. gets old some times.

It's a bike shop, they are trying to make money that is the point after all.

And zune, what happened to -igz?Confused

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.013060
Mobile Version of Website