What Brakes?

PB Forum :: Downhill
What Brakes?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jan 4, 2009 at 11:26 Quote
Well im about to build my first DH (Giant faith)
I was wondering what brakes to use?
What hayes/avids & hopes are good DH brakes?

Thanks

Posted: Jan 4, 2009 at 11:35 Quote
hope mono 6 are great but expensive.

i dont recomend the hayes strokers (poor modulation and they feel like a mechanical disk brake

avid codes are top of the line and you can get a set for the price of one hope m6

Posted: Jan 4, 2009 at 11:36 Quote
Ok thank you, so for a budget set of brake you recomend avid codes

Posted: Jan 4, 2009 at 11:48 Quote
chappy08 wrote:
Ok thank you, so for a budget set of brake you recomend avid codes

well i wouldnt consider codes a budget brake at all a set will run you about $250 but will be proper for DH. avid juicy 7's are still a quality brake but just dont have the same stopping power as hopes or codes, but they will be cheaper

Posted: Jan 4, 2009 at 11:50 Quote
Ok, but they will be good enough for my first DH bike?

Posted: Jan 4, 2009 at 12:00 Quote
yes, especially with 203mm rotors

*edit* im talking about juicy sevens. codes are some of the best dh brakes on the market

Posted: Jan 4, 2009 at 12:03 Quote
dezim wrote:

*edit* im talking about juicy sevens. codes are some of the best dh brakes on the market

ok cool, ive just been looking and what would juicy 5's be like?

Posted: Jan 4, 2009 at 12:07 Quote
chappy08 wrote:
dezim wrote:

ok cool, ive just been looking and what would juicy 5's be like?
exactly the same as a seven just without the pad adjustment. no big deal really. alot of peopole like em and there quite a bit cheaper then a 7

O+
Posted: Jan 4, 2009 at 12:15 Quote
im getting avid elixer R's, more powerful than juicys and less powerfull than codes, codes are to powerful unless your a big guy, and ive heard and seen alot of bad thing about juicy 7s, my frends branad neew ones topped working in the middle of our dh course Eek

Posted: Jan 4, 2009 at 12:21 Quote
derekt wrote:
im getting avid elixer R's, more powerful than juicys and less powerfull than codes, codes are to powerful unless your a big guy, and ive heard and seen alot of bad thing about juicy 7s, my frends branad neew ones topped working in the middle of our dh course Eek

thats one person though i think thats a narrow minded review to say that a product is bad because of one case. juicy 7's 5's or even 3's will fine for your giant faith unless you are over 200#s (if so get the codes, elixirs, or 7's)

O+
Posted: Jan 4, 2009 at 13:30 Quote
kovacs2121 wrote:
derekt wrote:

thats one person though i think thats a narrow minded review to say that a product is bad because of one case. juicy 7's 5's or even 3's will fine for your giant faith unless you are over 200#s (if so get the codes, elixirs, or 7's)
this isnt one case though, i did my research before buying breaks, i check on mtbr for reviews

Posted: Jan 4, 2009 at 13:38 Quote
I have heard nothing but good things about the Elixir...

Posted: Jan 4, 2009 at 13:41 Quote
derekt wrote:
kovacs2121 wrote:
derekt wrote:

this isnt one case though, i did my research before buying breaks, i check on mtbr for reviews

so do i and all the juicys have fairly mediocre reviews you are correct but there are bound to be bad reviews when 150 or 200 people review them. and you dont know what usage these people are doing, they may be abusing there parts or poorly maintaining them. avid juicys are great brakes if you take care of them and get them bled when it is needed just like any other bike component.

the reason cheaper things have poor reviews is beacuse more people who dont know how to care for their stuff can afford them. thats why elixirs are more expensive and only have 7 reviews. without some thing being widely used you cant tell how reliable something is.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009691
Mobile Version of Website