PB Forum :: Downhill
What Brakes?
O+
Posted: Jan 4, 2009 at 13:44 Quote
RockGiant wrote:
HFX 9s.
no...just, no

Posted: Jan 4, 2009 at 13:45 Quote
Check out Code's or Code 5's. If you look, you can get Code 5's for super good deals. (treefortbikes.com had them for about $110 each) and they have excellent power. I dont think you need pad contact adjustment but it might be nice. I just dont see why I would want to change that several times per ride when I could just get it set how I like before when bleeding them.

edit: Stay clear of Hayes!

Posted: Jan 4, 2009 at 16:12 Quote
if money is not a problem buy formula the one i buy a pair one week ago before that brakes i have use the codes and the ones are the best brakes that i have use in all my live

Posted: Jan 4, 2009 at 16:25 Quote
Shimano slx. i ride them with a 6 inch rotor and theres lots of power,

Posted: Jan 4, 2009 at 16:31 Quote
Hope M4 seem to fit your situation quite well, those or juicy 7s are my favourites

Posted: Jan 5, 2009 at 1:33 Quote
shimano saint breakes m810 09

Posted: Jan 5, 2009 at 1:55 Quote
Hayes Stroker Ace
Formula The Ones
Formula Mega

Posted: Jan 5, 2009 at 7:23 Quote
RockGiant wrote:
HFX 9s.
is there a 2009 version of HFX9??

Posted: Jan 5, 2009 at 9:52 Quote
chappy08 wrote:
RockGiant wrote:
HFX 9s.

Nope they been discounted because hayes has the stroker line

Posted: Jan 5, 2009 at 11:44 Quote
fantaman wrote:
chappy08 wrote:
RockGiant wrote:
HFX 9s.

Nope they been discounted because hayes has the stroker line

which is good cos it means all shops are selling the old ones of real cheap!!

Posted: Jan 5, 2009 at 12:11 Quote
kovacs2121 wrote:
derekt wrote:
kovacs2121 wrote:

thats one person though i think thats a narrow minded review to say that a product is bad because of one case. juicy 7's 5's or even 3's will fine for your giant faith unless you are over 200#s (if so get the codes, elixirs, or 7's)
this isnt one case though, i did my research before buying breaks, i check on mtbr for reviews

so do i and all the juicys have fairly mediocre reviews you are correct but there are bound to be bad reviews when 150 or 200 people review them. and you dont know what usage these people are doing, they may be abusing there parts or poorly maintaining them. avid juicys are great brakes if you take care of them and get them bled when it is needed just like any other bike component.

the reason cheaper things have poor reviews is beacuse more people who dont know how to care for their stuff can afford them. thats why elixirs are more expensive and only have 7 reviews. without some thing being widely used you cant tell how reliable something is.

Yer exactly. I've had 7s for a couple of years and yes i've had a couple of issues with bleeding them etc but they've been great on the whole. Also, i generally think that people are more likely to write a review about something if it doesn't work than if it is fine. So places like mtbr will usually have more negative reviews than positive if you get me?

Posted: Jan 5, 2009 at 13:29 Quote
Juicy 7 or elixer R are super nice but I went with codes for the extra power

O+
Posted: Jun 5, 2009 at 10:04 Quote
any body know what the saint m810r like i dont really care bout cost that much just if there good or not and if not wich others would you recommend instead

Posted: Jun 5, 2009 at 10:19 Quote
Budget: Juicy 5 hands down. Super cheap with a decent amount of power and a pretty good feel.
Not budget: Codes, pretty much better in every way.

Not sure about hope of shimano or magura or any of those... have yet to ride them.
Stay clear of hayes though... I've yet to hear anybody I know say they were good. People just ride them on their bike till they need a bleed/new pads then get rid of them for something better.

Posted: Jun 5, 2009 at 10:53 Quote
mwoodley wrote:
Juicy 7 or elixer R are super nice but I went with codes for the extra power

My friends got Juicy 7s, and I've got the Elixir Rs and we've both got similar bike setups. I wrote both down our steepest local and the juicys to my surprise had far more power. I don't know why or how, but I had just bled mine and put in new pads and bedded them in.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.153060
Mobile Version of Website