6'1 am I too tall to ride bmx?

PB Forum :: BMX (20")
6'1 am I too tall to ride bmx?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jan 4, 2009 at 17:25 Quote
I'm 6'1 and i have really long legs and i'm not sure if i'm too big to ride bmx. i've ridden them before but they feel small and akward for me to ride on. this might be partly because i'm used to ridding mtb and it might wear off. help please!

Posted: Jan 4, 2009 at 17:27 Quote
no,all you need is some big bars and like a 21" tt size for the frame.and you should be good

O+
Posted: Jan 4, 2009 at 17:30 Quote
i would suggest getting something like a specialized P. bike. i call them oversized BMX cause they are better for us big guys. as well you have the suspension to help take some of the abuse. i am not saying that you cant ride BMX but you might enjoy a dirt jumper more and be more comfortable on it.

Posted: Jan 4, 2009 at 17:35 Quote
trekriderOWS16 wrote:
i've ridden them before but they feel small and akward for me to ride on. this might be partly because i'm used to ridding mtb and it might wear off. help please!

I'm 5'6" and I felt the same way when I wasn't used to bmx. A lot of people seem to experience this, regardless of height.
And to answer your question: no, you're not too tall to ride bmx. As previously mentioned, a bigger tt and some big bars will make the bike feel a bit less cramped.

and btw, I have a 6'7" friend who's getting into bmx...

Posted: Jan 4, 2009 at 17:39 Quote
I'm 6'1 and I'm starting to trick on my bmx and like it was mentioned before you just need to get used to it

Posted: Jan 4, 2009 at 17:40 Quote
dont get a specialized i beg of you!

Posted: Jan 4, 2009 at 17:41 Quote
I'm 6 feet and ride BMX and mountain bikes. You are not too tall for BMX, you are just not used to it. Eventually you'll feel comfortable. As already said, a bike with a 21 inch toptube and bars with 8 inches of rise would likely feel the most comfortable for you. My dad who's 6 foot 8 races BMX in the cruiser class (24 inch wheels) and he has no problems.

Posted: Jan 4, 2009 at 17:44 Quote
I don't see 6'1" as being too tall to ride BMX. Back in the days of really small bars and frames, I used to ride with a guy who was around 6'4" and he killed some pretty big gaps on a BMX. With longer TTs and higher bars, I don't think you'll have any troubles finding a bike that fits comfortably.

When going from MTBs to BMX, there is a weird transition. It really depends on the person when it comes to how long that "get used to it" period lasts.

Posted: Jan 4, 2009 at 17:48 Quote
I'm 6'-6'1" and I ride.

I'm sure it would be nice to be a bit shorter to ride... but it doesn't stop me.Smile

I am running a 21" TT (I ran a 20.75" last year) and 8" rise bars (I had 7" or 7.5" last year)

Posted: Jan 4, 2009 at 17:54 Quote
I ride downhill/freeride on mtb and I ride street on BMX and I think my tt is 20.5 inches and my bars are pretty small but I'm 6'1-6'2 and I'm good I just had to get used to it Smile

Posted: Jan 4, 2009 at 17:56 Quote
Amos Franke is taller than you, and he clearly has no problem bmxing. It helps to have big bars though.

Posted: Jan 4, 2009 at 17:57 Quote
I've said it before and I'll say it again and again and again. NO ONE is too tall for BMX. That's just an old mountainbikers tale. I'm 6'1 and I have no problem riding my bmx. It fits me perfectly. If anything, I feel uncomfortable on a dj mtb because of the weird geometry. I feel so cramped on a mtb...

Posted: Jan 4, 2009 at 18:05 Quote
your back will start to hurt, i know

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009659
Mobile Version of Website