GT DHi vs. Santa Cruz V-10

PB Forum :: Downhill
GT DHi vs. Santa Cruz V-10
  • Previous Page
Posted: Nov 1, 2007 at 17:29 Quote
I'm looking ahead to next year, and I plan on getting a new frame. I'm currently riding a 2007 Demo 8, but I think its time for a change (I've been riding Specialized Demo's since 2004) My two top choices at the moment are the GT DHi and the Santa Cruz V-10. The GT would be a lightly used 2007 Model, and the Santa Cruz would be the new 2008 model. I race Quebec/Canada cups, and I ride quite a bit in between. I'm lookig for a bike that pedals well, jumps easily, brakes well on rough terrain, and generally is a fun bike to ride. I've ridden a 2006 V-10 and wasn't overly impressed, but the new verision is supposed to fell more lively and ride higher in its travel (that's exactly that I didn't like about the 2006) I've only had the chance to ride the GT on a paved road, I haven't been able to take it to the mountain to give it a real shake down. I was very impressed by the way the GT Pedalled, but I wasn't able to get a very good idea of how the suspension reacts offroad. Has anyone had any extended experiece with the GT? Between these two bikes, which do you think would be a better choice?

Posted: Nov 1, 2007 at 17:31 Quote
i havent rode either but i have done a run with a gt i at rabbit i was impressed fairly well

Posted: Nov 1, 2007 at 17:43 Quote
pimpedmanik wrote:
i havent rode either but i have done a run with a gt i at rabbit i was impressed fairly well

actually, i read a decline review of the gt it-1, and like all bike reviews, it was all positive, but if you learn to read between the lines, they weren't too impressed with it

v10 takes it, just pump up the shock when you're climbing, since it has more sag than a transition double has travel

Posted: Nov 1, 2007 at 17:53 Quote
nwd26 wrote:
pimpedmanik wrote:

actually, i read a decline review of the gt it-1, and like all bike reviews, it was all positive, but if you learn to read between the lines, they weren't too impressed with it

v10 takes it, just pump up the shock when you're climbing, since it has more sag than a transition double has travel

I'm talking about the GT DHi here, not that cruddy gearbox bike, there was a review of the DHi in dirt a few issues back, and they were quite positive about it.

Posted: Nov 1, 2007 at 17:56 Quote
Go with the 2008 V-10. I have a 2006 V-10 with a PUSH tuned DHX 5.0 and it is so much better than the stock DHX 5.0. I cannot imagine how much better the 2008 is! Mine weighs around 37-38 lbs so in theory if I had an 08 I could drop it to 35-36! Amazing weight for a 10inch beast! My roommate has an Iron Horse Sunday World Cup and it does not compare. I know Sam Hill is the best around right now even if he was on a Huffy, but I would be willing to bet that he would never lose on a V-10! I will upgrade to a 2008 as soon as I am able!

Posted: Nov 1, 2007 at 17:56 Quote
I have no experience witht he new Gt DHi but I know some people who had an older one that broke the frame right behind the bb, and that didn't just happen on one. But the V10 is a savage bike and I would go Santa Cruz over GT any day.

Posted: Nov 1, 2007 at 18:31 Quote
tefiii2005 wrote:
Go with the 2008 V-10. I have a 2006 V-10 with a PUSH tuned DHX 5.0 and it is so much better than the stock DHX 5.0. I cannot imagine how much better the 2008 is! Mine weighs around 37-38 lbs so in theory if I had an 08 I could drop it to 35-36! Amazing weight for a 10inch beast! My roommate has an Iron Horse Sunday World Cup and it does not compare. I know Sam Hill is the best around right now even if he was on a Huffy, but I would be willing to bet that he would never lose on a V-10! I will upgrade to a 2008 as soon as I am able!

Your weight is steller! How'd you get it so light, did you change out most the parts from your grey v-10?

Posted: Nov 1, 2007 at 21:37 Quote
Dhi for sure.. its just becasue these people havent ridden one sometime. the dhi would peddal 100x better and its cheaper. i like them a lot mroe i just find v 10s to sluggish

Posted: Nov 1, 2007 at 21:40 Quote
in my opinon both of those bikes are just like plows. they are good bikes but if you wanted a bike for racing.....get a turner dhr. my friend rides one and there so sick.

Posted: Nov 1, 2007 at 22:47 Quote
888fork wrote:
in my opinon both of those bikes are just like plows. they are good bikes but if you wanted a bike for racing.....get a turner dhr. my friend rides one and there so sick.

i couldn't disagree more. having never ridden the gti i can't say but the only time i noticed any kind of "sluggish" characteristics coming from a v-10 is in extremely slow, technical spaces. it's made to go fast and therefore performs best when it's going fast. it's designed with fast technical racing in mind. nothing sluggish about a world champion bike. just my two cents.

O+
Posted: Nov 2, 2007 at 0:07 Quote
V-10's are always a good choice.

but I haven't ridden the GT, so I can't really compare.

is there a reason you're getting away from Demos?

Posted: Nov 2, 2007 at 4:12 Quote
BenSawyer wrote:
V-10's are always a good choice.

but I haven't ridden the GT, so I can't really compare.

is there a reason you're getting away from Demos?

No reason in paticular, I have absolutely no complaints with my Demo 8, but I think its time to try something else. And anyways, if I don't sell my Demo frame, then i'll just end up riding it again next year.

Posted: Nov 2, 2007 at 4:57 Quote
i would say look into other frames too like ironhorse sunday, kona stabs(supreme,delux), turner dhr and more.
for everything you sais i would HIGHLY reccomend a commencal supreme dh frame, super awsome frame with all the abilitis you mentioned and more.

Posted: Nov 3, 2007 at 10:34 Quote
Termenaitor wrote:
i would say look into other frames too like ironhorse sunday, kona stabs(supreme,delux), turner dhr and more.
for everything you sais i would HIGHLY reccomend a commencal supreme dh frame, super awsome frame with all the abilitis you mentioned and more.

ok buddy i think you might have left out one of the best. the giant glory. the bike is amazing you wont turn back with that bike. light, fast, and manuverable.

Posted: Nov 3, 2007 at 10:53 Quote
g10ry wrote:
Termenaitor wrote:

ok buddy i think you might have left out one of the best. the giant glory. the bike is amazing you wont turn back with that bike. light, fast, and manuverable.

I'm not even considering the Giant Glory, or the Iron Horse for that matter. I work at a shop, and I don't want to be paying retail for a frame when I can get a Santa Cruz or GT for a heck of a lot cheaper.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.011959
Mobile Version of Website