Rims ? are they hard to fit

PB Forum :: Downhill
Rims ? are they hard to fit
Posted: Jan 8, 2009 at 11:08 Quote
nathan314 wrote:
ima probably take it to the shop on that case

just aswell really because you never once took spoke length into consideration.

Posted: Jan 8, 2009 at 11:12 Quote
marquis wrote:
nathan314 wrote:

actually i called the shop i was going to buy them off and they said the length was fine soo ...

Posted: Jan 8, 2009 at 12:14 Quote
nathan314 wrote:
marquis wrote:
nathan314 wrote:

actually i called the shop i was going to buy them off and they said the length was fine soo ...

what rim are you going to be putting on.???

Posted: Jan 8, 2009 at 12:22 Quote
unless you have all the proper equipment for building a wheel (stand, spoke wrench's, extra spokes, etc.) don't even bother trying to build a wheel for the first time. its not hard, its actually pretty easy if you have your patterns right. its probably the most tedious thing to work on for your bike, after the first hour or so sitting there reading some stupid instruction sheet you printed off the internet you will stop caring about tightness, lengths, etc. then when you finally finish, its going to be more crooked then the American government. i made the same mistake. i bought a spoke wrench and though it would be easy to rebuild my wheel, tore it apart, screwed it up horribly.

Posted: Jan 8, 2009 at 12:24 Quote
if youve never done it before, i'd suggest having someone with experience do it.

O+ FL
Posted: Jan 8, 2009 at 13:46 Quote
Is it just me or is it a known thing that re-tensioning your spokes is a really BAD thing to do to them and they will fail in no time.

Posted: Jan 8, 2009 at 13:53 Quote
ciszewski wrote:
Is it just me or is it a known thing that re-tensioning your spokes is a really BAD thing to do to them and they will fail in no time.

Its common practice. Dont know where you heard that.

Posted: Jan 8, 2009 at 14:09 Quote
right the easest way to do it would be this you will need tape and a spoke key start at the valve hole and tape every two spokes togither and do that for the whole wheel on both sides then take the spoke key and undo them all so when you have done that you will have all the spokes in the croect order just to fire it on to the other rim hope it helps

O+ FL
Posted: Jan 8, 2009 at 14:12 Quote
Hummeroid wrote:
ciszewski wrote:

hmm, ill have to take your word for it. because I, just like you said just heard it from somebody. But it does somewhat make sense that tensioning, untensioning and re-tensioning puts strains on the metal. Its almost like bending it back and forth, except instead of just targeting one spot your stretching the whole thing. And it could just be common practise because its bad for them, but you probably know more than me on this one soo...

Posted: Jan 8, 2009 at 14:13 Quote
ciszewski wrote:
Hummeroid wrote:
ciszewski wrote:

hmm, ill have to take your word for it. because I, just like you said just heard it from somebody. But it does somewhat make sense that tensioning, untensioning and re-tensioning puts strains on the metal. Its almost like bending it back and forth, except instead of just targeting one spot your stretching the whole thing. And it could just be common practise because its bad for them, but you probably know more than me on this one soo...

Rolling around does the same thing every time you ride. Spokes are made out of a steel that has good strain properties. Theyve designed them for this.

O+ FL
Posted: Jan 8, 2009 at 14:13 Quote
odin333 wrote:
unless you have all the proper equipment for building a wheel (stand, spoke wrench's, extra spokes, etc.) don't even bother trying to build a wheel for the first time. its not hard, its actually pretty easy if you have your patterns right. its probably the most tedious thing to work on for your bike, after the first hour or so sitting there reading some stupid instruction sheet you printed off the internet you will stop caring about tightness, lengths, etc. then when you finally finish, its going to be more crooked then the American government. i made the same mistake. i bought a spoke wrench and though it would be easy to rebuild my wheel, tore it apart, screwed it up horribly.

Obama for the win!!!

Posted: Jan 9, 2009 at 12:06 Quote
it is quite easy i done both of mine in 2 hrs you just need a couple of extra niples because some of them might be broken.
hope it goes well

Posted: Jan 9, 2009 at 15:24 Quote
nathan314 wrote:
hey i hace a commencal furious and dont like the singletrack rims so was looking for new rims no new spokes no new hub just new rim are they hard to fit or easy?
i have ok bike knowledge

Having a Wheelsmith build your wheel would be the best thing Smile

find someone who Rides and has built many wheels.

If you want to start learning to build on your own, start with a low end wheel that doesn't matter much.

Or see if you can watch them build yoru wheel to learn a bit.

Posted: Jan 9, 2009 at 15:36 Quote
i tried lacing a hub i got so pissed off

Posted: Jan 9, 2009 at 15:38 Quote
jakal44444 wrote:
i tried lacing a hub i got so pissed off

Yeah, crack is so much easier to lace than a wheel Smile

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.013586
Mobile Version of Website