Recent biking injury... Out for 6 months... Let's hear your story aswell.

PB Forum :: Fitness, Training and Health
Recent biking injury... Out for 6 months... Let's hear your story aswell.
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jan 8, 2009 at 12:45 Quote
Hey guys, I recently tore my ACL ligament on my left knee... Stupid P.E. class exercise, Told the teacher I handt warmed up and if I could have another 10 mins to run around the field to get the muscles nice and warm, obviously I was denied, so here I'm doing this dumbass frog-hop over one of the guys in my class, as I put my weight on his back, he moved and i landed sideways on my left leg, all I hear was a loud pop and really bad pain and burning feeling around the knee, it started swelling instantly... and well there I was on my way to hospital to get and MRI done to figure out what had gone wrong... Anyway, going in for surgery this saturday morning, then it's a long hard 6 months of therapy and gym work before i can back on a bike, Wish me luck. Any words of advice or stories of your own?

Posted: Jan 8, 2009 at 12:59 Quote
That sucks big time dude. I feel for you, 2 years ago I went over the bars and shattered my wrist...sprained the other wrist...tore ligaments in my left leg....and have pretty significant nerve damage also on my left thigh. I was off the bike for a couple months and its really hard, but since you can't bike you will find other ways to amuse yourself...you will be amazed at all the useless shit you learn when you have so much time on your hands. Anyways good luck on your recovery..hope your on the bike soon enough.

Posted: Jan 8, 2009 at 13:04 Quote
Done my ACL in 2000, took a long time to be feeling right again, i can totally sympathise with you but it's no use trying to blame anyone, if it's gonna go it's gonna go. just listen to the physios and do your exercises. The surgeon may put you right but it's the physios who get you back being able to do stuff again,

Posted: Jan 8, 2009 at 13:28 Quote
Crap....you are only 19 years old, you're going to heal like a champ. I'm 49 and I was back riding the mountain bike 6 weeks after surgery. Here is a link to my story....

http://www.highlyobsessed.com/2008/03/28/acl-recovery-one-year-out-and-my-final-post-on-the-topic/

Look for the the posts above the name of "Mark". I record a fairly detailed history. There are a bunch of others posting to this site as well. It makes for some good real life recovery stories. As of today I am 6 months and 7 days out of surgery and flying 20 footers easily. I am not terribly tricky just yet, but then I just started jumping a couple years ago and a 49 year old beginner doesn't try to many big tricks.....I'm almost a senior citizen. I prefer to give the knee another month or two before I step it up and go bigger.

Posted: Jan 8, 2009 at 13:44 Quote
Yeah exactly...your only 19 you'll heal up fast...it won't make it suck any less however, sorry to hear that. I'm 36 and my most recent really bad fall was about 2 years ago. I took a header down a 20 step, over the bars to straight face plant. Knocked out my front teeth, had to have a several root canals and fake teeth put in, ripped all the skin off the right side of my face and was in the hospital for 2 days. I healed really well and you can't tell it even happened. Well best of luck to you!!!

Posted: Jan 8, 2009 at 13:49 Quote
i think my cousin tourn that mucel in hockey but hes good now it took him along time to do stuff again he couldent drive couldent do sports just hasd to sit at home

Posted: Jan 8, 2009 at 14:02 Quote
Last June I had a distal tibia fracture and got 3 screws put my ankle and couldn't ride until fall. Also 3 weeks ago I fractured both bones in my wrist but when i first did it i thought it was just dislocated it so i popped it back in myself and went home. I went to my doctor the next day and he said that they were broken and was surprised my wrist wasn't displaced. So then I told him that I put it back myself and he said, "I don't recommended doing that, but you did a nice job." So I was in a full arm cast for two and a half weeks and now i wave a normal one.

FL
Posted: Jan 8, 2009 at 15:30 Quote
Got myself a tibial spine avulsion about six weeks ago. Similar to you but mine was landing bike-less from a 30ft jump gone bad but because my ligaments are "so f**king strong", as my surgeon told me, instead of the ACL snapping it just ripped the end right off my shin-bone which has now been screwed back in to place.

Recovery going pretty well, got my robo-leg brace and I'm flexing to 100deg and am now allowed to swim with possible static/road bike next week. Be around March time before I can DH/FR again.

photo

O+
Posted: Jan 9, 2009 at 12:06 Quote
I tore my ACL in my right knee in October last year, and I'm 8 weeks out of surgery as of today. I also tore my ACL in my left knee in 2003, and had that fixed. No problems with it at all, and it's actually stronger then it was before. One of the things that helped me was after I got the ok, I started going to the gym to build up my quad muscles...this really helped me out when I tore my right one. I'm riding with braces from now on, ACL surgery sucks ballz..I'm sick of it.

Hwulex, wtf, do you have steal ligaments or something? I've never heard of that happening.

Posted: Jan 9, 2009 at 12:12 Quote
dam maybe i should start wearing kneee pads

Posted: Jan 9, 2009 at 15:24 Quote
kcfreerider wrote:
I tore my ACL in my right knee in October last year, and I'm 8 weeks out of surgery as of today. I also tore my ACL in my left knee in 2003, and had that fixed. No problems with it at all, and it's actually stronger then it was before. One of the things that helped me was after I got the ok, I started going to the gym to build up my quad muscles...this really helped me out when I tore my right one. I'm riding with braces from now on, ACL surgery sucks ballz..I'm sick of it.

Hwulex, wtf, do you have steal ligaments or something? I've never heard of that happening.

yeah my dad tore both ACL's in both knees and advised me to start wearing knee-braces when riding from now on... i think i'll take his advice...

Posted: Jan 12, 2009 at 23:21 Quote
Currently out for 2 months with a good range of injuries from a single crash.

Chipped about 2cm of bone from my right wrist and just had a phone call from the doc still wondering if it would have to be operated on :S
reseperated AC joint in my right shoulder
2 brusied ribs.

Gotta love loseing your footing before a jump D:

Posted: Jan 12, 2009 at 23:32 Quote
sentenced2life wrote:

knee pads probably wouldnt help lol

Posted: Jan 12, 2009 at 23:37 Quote
henry661 wrote:
Hey guys, I recently tore my ACL ligament on my left knee... Stupid P.E. class exercise, Told the teacher I handt warmed up and if I could have another 10 mins to run around the field to get the muscles nice and warm, obviously I was denied, so here I'm doing this dumbass frog-hop over one of the guys in my class, as I put my weight on his back, he moved and i landed sideways on my left leg, all I hear was a loud pop and really bad pain and burning feeling around the knee, it started swelling instantly... and well there I was on my way to hospital to get and MRI done to figure out what had gone wrong... Anyway, going in for surgery this saturday morning, then it's a long hard 6 months of therapy and gym work before i can back on a bike, Wish me luck. Any words of advice or stories of your own?

I did something Similiar to this about 3 years ago, Landed hard on my left knee. I got instant swelling around the knee cap. Could not move my knee at all went to hospital had 3 X-rays, 2 ultrsounds and 2 MRI scans, I had tore my Cartalidge(Sp) and my knee was EXTREMELY brusied. It turned black. I had to have it drained twice each drain took about 3pints of blood and fluid. The feeling after each drain was awesome, lol . I was on crutches for just under a year, I was biking pretty much straight after coming off the crutches, Couldn't do much but I built my knee strength up. I have been to the Doctors recently about it, as it go stiff in cold weather and is very sore in the morning. Doc says i have athritis in the left knee and i'll always have a problem with it. Still biking to this day though.

Godluck on the road to reconvery. Beer

O+
Posted: Jan 13, 2009 at 1:43 Quote
gnarkore wrote:
sentenced2life wrote:

knee pads probably wouldnt help lol

Yeah knee pads wont do anything. You need knee braces like the Astrix's or Fox's new brace which I have. Or get some from a DR.

Or just dont crashBig Grin

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.019529
Mobile Version of Website