paint stripper

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
paint stripper
Previous Page |
Posted: Nov 1, 2007 at 20:39 Quote
now im not 100% sure this is the right place to make this thread but any way i have a 2003 or 03 kona scrap painted blue i kinda want to see it with no paint at all with white compontents do you think that would look cool?

also should i use paint stripper and just wipe it off or sand it or something???

whats the eiseist and fastest way

Posted: Nov 1, 2007 at 20:41 Quote
the best way to do it would be bead blast it, kinda like sand blasting but better for the metal of the frame. But beadblasters aren't exactly easy to come by...

Posted: Nov 1, 2007 at 20:50 Quote
paint sripper is the easiest way

Posted: Nov 1, 2007 at 20:54 Quote
yeah paint stripper and sanding are the best ways to do it strip it first then sand the rest of it

Posted: Nov 1, 2007 at 20:59 Quote
ok sweet ill go get some paint stripper tomarow maybe even though im doing stuff ill post pics on a while.

Posted: Nov 2, 2007 at 14:27 Quote
reggie-ragoo wrote:
ok sweet ill go get some paint stripper tomarow maybe even though im doing stuff ill post pics on a while.

Yeah this does work great, I used some industrial stuff to repaint my cranks and it works like nothing else...it just melts it right off.

Just make sure you wear a mask and do it outside, trust me if you dont a massive head ache will follow.

Mod Plus
Posted: Nov 2, 2007 at 18:35 Quote
I used an aircraft paint stripper from Lordco. I think its called Tal Stip or maybe Tile Strip...
It is scary stuff. You'll have to ask for it as its sold from behind the counter only. You'll need long sleeves, a proper mask, heavy duty rubber gloves and some big safety glasses. I have done two frames with this stuff. The Shocker took my a few hours as there are alot of nooks. For a brushed look you would spray it on and then hit it with a wire brush or even better is a wire wheel on the end of a cordless drill. If you want a shinier finish put the frame in a box and spray it everywhere and close the box up. Come back an hour later and hit it with a hose and a brush. You will have to do it a few times.
At first I made the mistake of doing it upwind and wearing a t-shirt. As soon as the mist hit my arms they started to burn and about a hindred little red dots showed up. Don't mess around with it at all and glasses are to be used as you will be blind.

Posted: Nov 2, 2007 at 18:43 Quote
I used tal stripper (it's green right)^^^ anyways it works preety good buti think it has been a little cold here for it to take full effect. I have had to use several coats of it to get the paint off, well the frame had about 4 previous paint jobsfrom the layers I counted. That could have something to do with it. I just brushed it on then let it sit for about an hour then pressure washed it off. I didn't have to go behind counters to get mine. Just on the shelf up front, thats america for you

Posted: Nov 2, 2007 at 19:39 Quote
Paint Stripper rocks man!

But people always tend to make the mistake of straight away sanding the part without letting the pain stripper do its job.Trust me,just brush paint stripper on the part,leave if for like one hour,and the thing is i dont even use a sandpaper,i use a wire wool.Just scrub it off,paint dust would come off,not wet melty paint.For better finish run the part under running water and use Scotch Brite Green Pad and wipe away all gunk and leftover paint.

Always work for me.Have Fun!

Ouh yea u need rubber gloves .

Posted: Nov 3, 2007 at 0:16 Quote
ok your guys guides sound pretty good i just have a few questions.
is it to cold to do this around 0 degrees
if i strpped the frame would the frame come our silver?

Posted: Nov 3, 2007 at 3:30 Quote
It really depends,on aluminium it would look silver.Has quite a shine if done correctly.
Steel on the other hand is kinda light brownish i guess.

Posted: Nov 3, 2007 at 3:49 Quote
well the frame is aluminium so

Buy a tub of 'Nitromorse' paint stripper. its stronmg stuff and will melt the paint off literally in minutes.

no because your frame is aluminium you need to use aluminium primer. this is acidic and will acid etch itself to the frame, whereas a normal paint may not stick properly without this.

then paint it up using any paint you like!

ta da!

Posted: Nov 3, 2007 at 12:32 Quote
i was actually thinking of trying tto keep it raw with white components or something

Posted: Nov 3, 2007 at 12:39 Quote
kakah wrote:
At first I made the mistake of doing it upwind and wearing a t-shirt. As soon as the mist hit my arms they started to burn and about a hindred little red dots showed up.

didnt you need a cream for that?

Posted: Nov 3, 2007 at 12:47 Quote
ya paint stripper is the best to do

Previous Page |

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.013205
Mobile Version of Website