paint stripper

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
paint stripper
  • Next Page
Posted: Nov 3, 2007 at 13:22 Quote
The directions say to use it in 70 degree farenheight and up. I realised this is why mine was working so poorly. It's been to cold so I just got a heat gun and heated it but it's a pain just wait for a hot day

Posted: Nov 4, 2007 at 11:34 Quote
I have stripped two frames, before. The work is a bear, but the end result is worth it. I had a Gary Fisher Tassajara that I weighed before and after the procedure: 104 grams of paint removed. If you're a weight weenie, that equivalates to almost 1/4 pound. And, scratched paint looks ugly, anyways, so why not just get rid of the paint in the first place.

Bead- or sand-blasting would be the cleanest way to go, because those strippers are nasty stuff. However, they will not leave you with the cool, pre-painted look of bare aluminum. Blasted aluminum is nice, but the mill-finish will be removed. This is why using a wire brush for the nooks and crannies is problematic. If you have strong enough stripper, use a stiff nylon brush. It will leave the original finish, better.

Even though you said you're not interested, for all the rest of you, if you're ever thinking of painting your frame, I highly recommend zinc-chromate primer. Typically available only from aircraft supply stores, and illegal in California (yay!). You do not want to breath the stuff, it will kill your brain cells (much more than normal spray paint).

Posted: Nov 5, 2007 at 20:53 Quote
ok cool im stripping it right now im my garage its about minus one out and i have the heater pumping in it i may heat it with my heat gun but not on the already added parts right would it go up in flames ill take some pics so i can see before and after haha ill have t figure out how to post them up.

Posted: Nov 5, 2007 at 20:54 Quote
I put my frame i'm working on outside today in the sun with the stripper on it, i had the best result so far with that. Maybe the uv rays help or something but it worked alot better than with my heat gun

Posted: Nov 5, 2007 at 22:28 Quote
oh well im going to go take the head set cups out and later put my fsa pig in and im taken out the bb and cranks to make it look good then ill get a new bb and i still need a fork im thinking like a manitou sherman or something i can find for a deal.

O+
Posted: Nov 7, 2007 at 11:35 Quote
reggie-ragoo wrote:
ok your guys guides sound pretty good i just have a few questions.
is it to cold to do this around 0 degrees
if i strpped the frame would the frame come our silver?

Blast it using baking soda...did this to my Glory DH and it cost me $100.00 to have it done at a sand blasting shop. It took all the paint off everywhere and is easy on the aluminium and you can run it through a standard sand blaster....probably need a pretty high CFM comressor though as the soda is not as heavy as sand. Then use mothers aluminium polish and a big buffer with a 8-10 bonnet to get into the hard to reach places....this takes the most time and when you all done and satified give it a coat of wax, I used the meguiers liquid spray. This will slow the oxidation of the aluminium. Hope this helps.

Posted: Oct 28, 2010 at 16:38 Quote
i have a mythic wildcard frame and the paint is pretty messed up aesthetics wise.

im looking to first paint strip, then apply the new decals, then apply a couple of layers of clear coat.

Would this work?

also, when applying the stripper, what do you do?

brush it on or pour it over the area or soak it in the solution.

Thanks Quin.

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.013595
Mobile Version of Website