Is a horizontal rear shock setup better than a verticle shock, i.e. kona-type vs. bottlerocket-type

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
Is a horizontal rear shock setup better than a verticle shock, i.e. kona-type vs. bottlerocket-type
Posted: Jan 11, 2009 at 15:00 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:
Vertical bs. horizontal inst an issue. aim for the lowest shock possible to lower you cog(center of graviety)
what is the logic behind this statement? seriously...

Posted: Jan 11, 2009 at 15:03 Quote
Lower centre of gravity will corner better and have less unsprung weight

Posted: Jan 11, 2009 at 15:03 Quote
hdfreerider wrote:
Ah I read you what you were looking for wrong there...

Yeah Dirtbag would be goog choice. You could also look a bikes like the Demo, V-10, A-Line or the Glory
are any these bikes significantly different for the '09 models?

Posted: Jan 11, 2009 at 15:05 Quote
ORmike wrote:
ajax-ripper wrote:
Vertical bs. horizontal inst an issue. aim for the lowest shock possible to lower you cog(center of graviety)

It's there. Read it again. If you don't understand it, don't say it's stupid.

Posted: Jan 11, 2009 at 15:06 Quote
signorvince2 wrote:
ORmike wrote:
ajax-ripper wrote:

sorry i'm ripped.......

Posted: Jan 11, 2009 at 15:06 Quote
ORmike wrote:
signorvince2 wrote:
ORmike wrote:

sorry i'm ripped.......
i get it

Posted: Jan 11, 2009 at 15:07 Quote
The only difference between the "kona type" and "bottlerocket type" is the rocker link. Nothing different.

O+
Posted: Jan 11, 2009 at 15:10 Quote
ORmike wrote:
hdfreerider wrote:
Ah I read you what you were looking for wrong there...

Yeah Dirtbag would be goog choice. You could also look a bikes like the Demo, V-10, A-Line or the Glory
are any these bikes significantly different for the '09 models?

Nothing major. Just usually minor little tweaks here and there.

Posted: Jan 11, 2009 at 15:10 Quote
signorvince2 wrote:
The only difference between the "kona type" and "bottlerocket type" is the rocker link. Nothing different.
the shock closer to the seat tube would be better to get lower C.O.G., eh? making it a better ride?

O+
Posted: Jan 11, 2009 at 15:11 Quote
ORmike wrote:
signorvince2 wrote:
the shock closer to the seat tube would be better to get lower C.O.G., eh? making it a better ride?

As long as the kona is running a floating-brake, in theory.

Posted: Jan 11, 2009 at 15:15 Quote
hdfreerider wrote:
ORmike wrote:
signorvince2 wrote:

Floating brake isn't really a factor. that has more to do with the linkage.

And for a lower CoG, you want to lowest shock you can get. The Specialized Demos ann Giant Glorys/Reign/Reign X are all good exampes of bikes with lower than average CoG.

O+
Posted: Jan 11, 2009 at 15:59 Quote
signorvince2 wrote:
hdfreerider wrote:
ORmike wrote:

And for a lower CoG, you want to lowest shock you can get. The Specialized Demos ann Giant Glorys/Reign/Reign X are all good exampes of bikes with lower than average CoG.

I only mentioned the floating brake because he was asking if the faux bar bike would ride better than a DW-link bike. The faux-bar bike is going feel terrible under hard braking compared to the DW-link bike without a floating brake. The floating brake just even offs playing field a bit. Also in theory, a bike with the shock mounted at the bottom of the seat tube should have a lower center of gravity than a bike with the shock mounted off the top tube.

That said, I agree with the rest of what you said. Running the shock below or through the seat tube will give you the lowest possble C.O.G.

Posted: Jan 11, 2009 at 17:15 Quote
hdfreerider wrote:
signorvince2 wrote:
hdfreerider wrote:

I only mentioned the floating brake because he was asking if the faux bar bike would ride better than a DW-link bike. The faux-bar bike is going feel terrible under hard braking compared to the DW-link bike without a floating brake. The floating brake just even offs playing field a bit. Also in theory, a bike with the shock mounted at the bottom of the seat tube should have a lower center of gravity than a bike with the shock mounted off the top tube.

That said, I agree with the rest of what you said. Running the shock below or through the seat tube will give you the lowest possble C.O.G.
ok

Posted: Jan 13, 2009 at 9:13 Quote
to answer the main question: No, it makes no difference how the shock is mounted - do you think it cares?

the wheel path makes a difference, but the kona and bottlerocket are both faux-bar designs, the wheel paths are very similar.

Posted: Jan 13, 2009 at 9:45 Quote
literatechimp wrote:
to answer the main question: No, it makes no difference how the shock is mounted - do you think it cares?

the wheel path makes a difference, but the kona and bottlerocket are both faux-bar designs, the wheel paths are very similar.
so for someone who wants to have a bike that tracks better on the jumps, but can still take medium to large drops, what is a better wheel path.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.051648
Mobile Version of Website