Best components?

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Best components?
Posted: Jan 13, 2009 at 19:20 Quote
gregmazo wrote:
I've never tried CK headset, but i just heard good things.

Other than that, I' will always have my:

Hadley hubs
XTR components, but somewhat overpriced
Mavic Crossmax wheelset
Mavic 729 rim
Any Specialized bike
Fox 36 series
Time ATAC pedals

Edit: just notice it was a Street/DJ thread, anyway.

i heard hadleys have gone downhill in the past few years, any problems with yours?

O+
Posted: Jan 13, 2009 at 20:09 Quote
lovemy2008dhr wrote:
King uses angular contact bearings which make for a very strong headset. Howver they can pop loose under hard impacts.

You mean when you crash, the bearing cups actually separate from the frame and get loose?
Right, right . . . Rolleyes

Posted: Jan 14, 2009 at 2:36 Quote
hendu wrote:
rstwosix wrote:
Hadley hubs
DT Swiss spokes
Mavic rims
Shimano Saint, XTR & XT drivetrain
Thomson stems & seatposts
Easton bars
Fox suspension
Hayes brakes uh no.....
Chris King headsets
WTB seats
What is it about people and brakes? It's a bit like tyres & rims - name a brand and you get a debate! I just knew that when I listed Hayes brakes I'd get a negative comment. Ha! Well, when it comes to hydraulic brakes I've learned through experience - if it ain't broke, don't fix it! My Hayes brakes work fine. Avid brakes are very much in vogue at the moment, but they are the least favourite brake in our workshop. What a pile of poo to fit & adjust with those stupid half moon washers and not enough gap between rotor & pads. Not to mention the totally pissed off customers who drag their Avid clad bikes in complaining about the locked up brakes that won't retract off the rotor. I could go on, but that's probably enough to get all Avid fans responding quick smart.

Posted: Jan 14, 2009 at 2:36 Quote
azonic outlaws!

i love these wheels i have a pair 20mm up front and 12x150 in the rear. i go intentionally hard on these wheels just to try to get and excuse to get rid of them but they keep coming back for more. best wheelset ive ever used

Posted: Jan 14, 2009 at 2:42 Quote
rstwosix wrote:
hendu wrote:
rstwosix wrote:
Hadley hubs
DT Swiss spokes
Mavic rims
Shimano Saint, XTR & XT drivetrain
Thomson stems & seatposts
Easton bars
Fox suspension
Hayes brakes uh no.....
Chris King headsets
WTB seats
What is it about people and brakes? It's a bit like tyres & rims - name a brand and you get a debate! I just knew that when I listed Hayes brakes I'd get a negative comment. Ha! Well, when it comes to hydraulic brakes I've learned through experience - if it ain't broke, don't fix it! My Hayes brakes work fine. Avid brakes are very much in vogue at the moment, but they are the least favourite brake in our workshop. What a pile of poo to fit & adjust with those stupid half moon washers and not enough gap between rotor & pads. Not to mention the totally pissed off customers who drag their Avid clad bikes in complaining about the locked up brakes that won't retract off the rotor. I could go on, but that's probably enough to get all Avid fans responding quick smart.

Im a shimano fan, and ive destroyed so many sets of HFX9 and mags its not even funny, Hayes are junk

Not worth the money at all

Posted: Jan 14, 2009 at 2:43 Quote
Iv been using a stroker trail for over a eyar and not had it bled or anything once, amazing brake.

Posted: Jan 14, 2009 at 2:51 Quote
muzzler wrote:
Iv been using a stroker trail for over a eyar and not had it bled or anything once, amazing brake.

i have the stroker trail too, its really great as far as duration between bleeds. but it feels like pulling on a mechanical disk break rather than hydraulic IMO. i was running it rear and now i got the cable shortened for the front and we'll see if its any better now

Posted: Jan 14, 2009 at 3:00 Quote
nicholas888 wrote:
gregmazo wrote:

Hadley hubs
Mavic Crossmax wheelset
Mavic 729 rim
Any Specialized bike
Fox 36 series
Time ATAC pedals

i heard hadleys have gone downhill in the past few years, any problems with yours?
No, they haven't gone downhill(so to speak). I've got 2 sets of Hadleys - one old & one new. The only difference is that the old ones had 108 points of engagement and the new ones have 72 - the same as Chris King. The older hub freewheel mech was tough enough for DH, Freeride & XC, but some trials riders (who put a lot of strain on the hub) were having durability problems, so Mike Hadley went to the 72 engagement and made the mech stronger. I've never had any trouble with my hubs - they spin beautifully and the instant engagement is outstanding. Best hubs I've ever used.

Posted: Jan 14, 2009 at 3:10 Quote
gnarkore wrote:
rstwosix wrote:
hendu wrote:

Im a shimano fan, and ive destroyed so many sets of HFX9 and mags its not even funny, Hayes are junk

No argument on Shimano - we're big fans of their high end brakes in the workshop. As for 'Hayes are junk' - sorry, we don't agree.

Posted: Jan 14, 2009 at 3:35 Quote
rstwosix wrote:
gnarkore wrote:
rstwosix wrote:

No argument on Shimano - we're big fans of their high end brakes in the workshop. As for 'Hayes are junk' - sorry, we don't agree.

im running XTR right now, they feel awesome

Posted: Jan 14, 2009 at 4:00 Quote
gnarkore wrote:
rstwosix wrote:
gnarkore wrote:

Great! I find XTR anything awesome. I'm running XTR derailieur, cassette and shifters with Saint cranks.

Posted: Jan 14, 2009 at 4:03 Quote
rstwosix wrote:
gnarkore wrote:
rstwosix wrote:

Great! I find XTR anything awesome. I'm running XTR derailieur, cassette and shifters with Saint cranks.

for me im running

xt cranks (on my dh bike) i know that the 83mm doesnt normally fit BUT i modded mine to fit
xtr brakes
xtr shadow derailure and shifter
duraace cassette

Posted: Jan 14, 2009 at 4:30 Quote
rstwosix wrote:
nicholas888 wrote:
gregmazo wrote:

Hadley hubs
Mavic Crossmax wheelset
Mavic 729 rim
Any Specialized bike
Fox 36 series
Time ATAC pedals

No, they haven't gone downhill(so to speak). I've got 2 sets of Hadleys - one old & one new. The only difference is that the old ones had 108 points of engagement and the new ones have 72 - the same as Chris King. The older hub freewheel mech was tough enough for DH, Freeride & XC, but some trials riders (who put a lot of strain on the hub) were having durability problems, so Mike Hadley went to the 72 engagement and made the mech stronger. I've never had any trouble with my hubs - they spin beautifully and the instant engagement is outstanding. Best hubs I've ever used.

i did like my hadleys,with an amazing finish but they dont like wet weather riding as mine leaked some lovley coloured rust out of the hub after a trip to scotland.

Posted: Jan 15, 2009 at 3:24 Quote
marquis wrote:
rstwosix wrote:
nicholas888 wrote:

i did like my hadleys,with an amazing finish but they dont like wet weather riding as mine leaked some lovley coloured rust out of the hub after a trip to scotland.
Like any part on a bike they have to be serviced - especially if you ride in the wet.
Go to sicklines.com (How To section) for complete service instructions.

Posted: Jan 15, 2009 at 4:48 Quote
^^^ yeah done that and sold them.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.018001
Mobile Version of Website