Avid Elixir R help

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Avid Elixir R help
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jan 19, 2009 at 9:09 Quote
yeah went out for a ride yesterday and got back and my elixir brake lever was going almost all the way to my knuckle before it would start to engage the pads. doesnt usually do this and its really pissing me off. I know there is no pad reach adjustment on the elixir r, but is there any way to adjust how far the lever goes in before it engages, any way at all?

and the lever throw is already almost all the way out so that wont help.

thanks

Posted: Jan 19, 2009 at 10:04 Quote
time to bleed the brakes.

Posted: Jan 19, 2009 at 10:07 Quote
did you cook it? is there fluid leaking out anywhere. check for any leaks, if there arent any get her bled and she should be fine. braided hoses will help prevent this happening

Posted: Jan 19, 2009 at 10:26 Quote
actually i just fixed my own problem. i forgot that i had my bike upside down for a little bit when i was cleaning it last night. while upside down, most of the fluid had drained out of the caliper and gone up near the top of my hose, (which is about 6 feet long because avid is wierd). i just remembered this about 10 minutes ago, so i went and pumped the brakes for a good 3 minutes or so, and like magic, they are back to normal. fluid just needed to get back into the caliper. my friend has the same problem with his juicys, so maybe it's just an avid thing.

Posted: Jan 19, 2009 at 10:28 Quote
crash23 wrote:
actually i just fixed my own problem. i forgot that i had my bike upside down for a little bit when i was cleaning it last night. while upside down, most of the fluid had drained out of the caliper and gone up near the top of my hose, (which is about 6 feet long because avid is wierd). i just remembered this about 10 minutes ago, so i went and pumped the brakes for a good 3 minutes or so, and like magic, they are back to normal. fluid just needed to get back into the caliper. my friend has the same problem with his juicys, so maybe it's just an avid thing.

they need bleeding for sure,brakes shouldnt do that.Eek

Posted: Jan 19, 2009 at 10:31 Quote
marquis wrote:
crash23 wrote:

even after my friend had his juicys freshly bleed, they did the same thing. i mean its not that big of a deal, just kind of wierd. it probably is about time for me to bleed my brakes. they are relatively new though, only had them since like august and they havent been on too many rides. maybe like 15 rides and a few races.

Posted: Jan 19, 2009 at 10:33 Quote
ive seen shimano brakes do that too, i cant explain it, maybe someone else can???

Posted: Jan 19, 2009 at 10:33 Quote
There is air in your lines, get them bled and they won't feel like shit after they've been upside down.

Posted: Jan 19, 2009 at 10:36 Quote
crash23 wrote:
marquis wrote:
crash23 wrote:

even after my friend had his juicys freshly bleed, they did the same thing. i mean its not that big of a deal, just kind of wierd. it probably is about time for me to bleed my brakes. they are relatively new though, only had them since like august and they havent been on too many rides. maybe like 15 rides and a few races.

my codes were the same way they needed a bleed after a few weeks of riding,so i sold them.

Posted: Jan 19, 2009 at 10:39 Quote
marquis wrote:
crash23 wrote:
marquis wrote:

my codes were the same way they needed a bleed after a few weeks of riding,so i sold them.

I love avids, but everyone I know always has to bleed them like once a month. I probably wont bleed these until summer season starts. they feel fine when they are rightside up.lol

Posted: Jan 19, 2009 at 10:48 Quote
crash23 wrote:
marquis wrote:
crash23 wrote:

I love avids, but everyone I know always has to bleed them like once a month. I probably wont bleed these until summer season starts. they feel fine when they are rightside up.lol

ah good stuff.

Posted: Jul 16, 2009 at 19:19 Quote
crash23 wrote:

You have air in the system that needs to be bled. A sealed hydraulic system shouldn't behave like that at all. Either air already in the lines or air getting into the lines. In either case, bleed the brakes and go from there.

Good luck!
A.

Posted: Jul 16, 2009 at 19:22 Quote
schwimble wrote:
ive seen shimano brakes do that too, i cant explain it, maybe someone else can???

The air gets stuck at the lever when riden normally so there's just a small performance decrease as the caliper has fluid. Flip the bike and the caliper becomes the high point for the air to travel to. Ride the bike with air in the caliper = bad news and crappy braking. Anyone who has their brakes behave this way has air in the lines. Guaranteed. I can hang my Elixirs upside down for a week with no issue.

A.

O+
Posted: Oct 27, 2009 at 21:24 Quote
JonahH1992 wrote:
Hi I actually have the same problem but i cant fix it. I have Avid Elixir R's an After a few hours riding the lever pulls back to the bar and i still have braking but the lever pulls back so far that my hand gets in the way an i cant brake. Ive had them bled 3 times now an they still pull back to the bar after a few hours. Any help would be much apreciated as im going to morzine on sunday an would quite like to have working brakes!!

Something like this happened on my new SX Trail and I took it into the shop and they said something was wrong w/ the master cylinder and they were going to warranty it

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010835
Mobile Version of Website