Definitive Specialized Enduro SL Forum

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Definitive Specialized Enduro SL Forum
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jan 19, 2009 at 20:29 Quote
POST HERE ONLY IF YOU HAVE OR HAVE OWNED A SPECIALIZED ENDURO SL

I am looking to buy an Enduro SL, and want to hear what people think about it (I know about the shock/fork problems; please explain them in detail), possibly compared to other comparable models. Please include your riding style as well.

I want to buy this bike because:

1) It is light (just like me), so a 50-lbs DH bike probably won't work for me.

2) The suspension is supposed to be great when it works.
I have heard two sides to this: A) Suspension sucked and broke and you became suicidally depressed, and B) Set up suspension properly and it makes the bike the best in the world. What did you find?

3) I think it will fit my riding style. I generally do a more DH/FR scene (stuff only up to about 4-5 tall), but I want a do-it-all bike, or as close to it as possible. Something that can take big hits at the lift-service slopes, but then head right over to the XC park to blow by some lycra-wearing guys (and still satify requirement #1). 6" will certainly be enough travel for me (considering I've never bottomed out my 4" RockShox Tora 312), I just want to know how the puppy rides in different venues.

So please post, but ONLY IF YOU OWN/OWNED ONE OF THESE BIKES!

O+
Posted: Jan 19, 2009 at 20:47 Quote
I work at a Specialized dealer, and have ridden a good number of Enduro SL's over the years.

The suspension failure issue is sorted out - there was a problem with the first production run, but the forks have been perfect since. Don't worry about the reliability - it's good now.

The Spike Valve in the rear shock is something you can definitely feel, so test ride one and make sure you like the feel of it. Its like a sharper feeling Propedal.

All in all, I liked the ride, and the weight is very impressive.

Are you thinking carbon?

Posted: Jan 19, 2009 at 20:56 Quote
Thanks for your input.

That's what I've heard other places (like Specialized themselves): the '07 (1st Gen) suspension had some issues in "manufacturing", but they sorted it out in '08. HOWEVER, I have still heard people complaining about their '08 suspensions breaking, etc. Have you had anyone bring in defective '08 suspensions?

And no, I am not thinking carbon. It is too expensive for me, and I fear that it will break, even under the moderately light freeriding I do.

O+
Posted: Jan 19, 2009 at 20:58 Quote
Nope, no issues with the '08 forks or shocks. The thing to remember is that there is a limited range of damping adjustments on it, and if you don't like the given adjustments it's not like you can just send them to Push to get them customized.

The carbon isn't that much lighter anyway.

Posted: Jan 19, 2009 at 21:01 Quote
OK, that makes sense. So you're basically saying that the suspension is not all-inclusive for every "feel". You have to make sure you like the feel of it, because you can't change it much. Is this correct?

Posted: Jan 19, 2009 at 21:03 Quote
Just picked up a '08 Pitch Pro. Baller bike for the money, on blow out for $2000 Canadian. Been using it for everything I don't want to use my DH or BMX for. After selling my do it all hardtail, it bothered my back alot for XC. With a Fox Rp2 and a Pike 351 (no external low speed compression adjust), you don't have to worrie about Spesh's kit (no experance with it personaly). Only thing that I don't like is how light the wheels are for aggressive riding. Picking up a cheap set of Single Tracks to balance that out. Its is nice to have the lock out and U-turn for going up.
photo

O+
Posted: Jan 19, 2009 at 21:06 Quote
AMBikerJJ8 wrote:
OK, that makes sense. So you're basically saying that the suspension is not all-inclusive for every "feel". You have to make sure you like the feel of it, because you can't change it much. Is this correct?

Yes. Exactly.

Then, I was going to suggest what Tombo did - have you considered getting a Pitch and upgrading it?

Posted: Jan 19, 2009 at 21:08 Quote
hustler wrote:
I work at a Specialized dealer, and have ridden a good number of Enduro SL's over the years.

The suspension failure issue is sorted out - there was a problem with the first production run, but the forks have been perfect since. Don't worry about the reliability - it's good now.

The Spike Valve in the rear shock is something you can definitely feel, so test ride one and make sure you like the feel of it. Its like a sharper feeling Propedal.

All in all, I liked the ride, and the weight is very impressive.

Are you thinking carbon?
so do I, and ridden my share of Sl's, the bike is perfect for everything though especially for the price...get a 09, or even a Remedy 7 from Trek

Posted: Jan 20, 2009 at 19:59 Quote
hustler wrote:
Then, I was going to suggest what Tombo did - have you considered getting a Pitch and upgrading it?

Yeah, I have, but it would cost more than just getting an Enduro SL straight. I've found a brand-new 08 SL for $2100 USD after tax, which is pretty good.

O+
Posted: Jan 20, 2009 at 20:02 Quote
AMBikerJJ8 wrote:
hustler wrote:

Yeah, I have, but it would cost more than just getting an Enduro SL straight. I've found a brand-new 08 SL for $2100 USD after tax, which is pretty good.

Pretty good? That's really good! Go get it!

Posted: Jan 20, 2009 at 21:06 Quote
That's what I'm thinking, but I want to test ride one first. Also, I got more info DIRECT (oh, OK, email) from Spesh HQ:

"I'm in the market for an All-Mountain bike (something that can take on a venue like Whistler's Bike Park, but then shred their XC park), and I have quite a few questions about the suspension on the 2008/2009 Enduro SL's.-( AMBikerJJ8 )

1) Q: Why do I find complaints in every biking review forum about the suspension breaking or suspension adjustments not being effective?

A: When the first Generation of E150 forks come out on the SL we discovered that there were numerous issues on the forks because of quality control issues in the factory, i.e...... they were not being stored properly. To try and ease people's mind, we did an upgrade for all 07 SL's to the 08 E150 cartridges but it seems the damage was done. Another reason I believe they are so harshly critisized is due to the fact that we are a bike company creating suspension pieces. People seem to be more harsh on us because we are fairly new to the suspension game and come out with a basically new design. We have the same or better fail rate as some of our competitiors, but when a manitiou fails, people seem to look past it. I have ridden two enduros since they have come out, and I have only had to replace one cartridge (07). I do not ride easy on the bike either. The amount of people complaining about the suspension is far far less then the people that are out there riding perfectly fine suspension pieces.-(Spesh)

2) Q: Why were the e150 forks taken off of most of the 2009 line-up? Is it because of #1?

A: The main reason we removed the E150s is because of the fact that we are producing numerous suspension pieces and have to limit our production some where to ensure we do not have quality control issues again. Being that people have a bad taste in their mouth for the E150 it seems like a rational decision to put the fox on it and keep producing the other pieces for the other bikes. The e150 has taken small updates for 08 and again for 09 and are running great. Anytime a fork has warranty issues, it is updated with the most recent product.

3)Q: What kind of warranty is offered on the suspension? I don't want to be buying something that I have to pay for every time it (supposedly) breaks.

A: Our suspension pieces have the best warranty in the market with a 5 year warranty.

4) Q: Who actually manufactures the suspension components?

A: We manufacture our suspension components.

5) Q: What kind of abuse can this bike take? Is it OK to moderately freeride/downhill it?

A: Moderate freeride and downhill will probably be okay, but the bike is really built for all mountain applications and probably won't take an insane amount of abuse.

6) Q: If this bike isn't the right bike for me (considering the first sentence), which one is? (Lighter is better.)

A: If you like to pedal up and then go back down, this bike works great. If you plan on doing a bunch of shuttling I would recommend you check out the SX. That bike can be built up to be super light and the suspension links and suspension are built for freeride applications. It comes with some heavy duty pieces that add to the weight of the bike, but the bike could easily be built or reduced down to 32 lbs or so and still be extremely capable. It comes around 38 lbs or so. Super fun bike."

Hope this puts some rumors to rest.
-Keep messaging if you have an SL
AM

Posted: Feb 1, 2009 at 21:17 Quote
P.S. I just test rode one of these babies last weekend ('08 comp), and here are somethings that struck me right off the bat.

1) The suspension travel seems endless. The shock feels plush all the way until near the end of the travel, where it then would spring back.

2) The triple-crown/dual-crown forks limit the turn of the front wheel of the bike very considerably.

3) The bike looks delicate and more XC oriented in pictures, but it actually feels very sturdy.

4) The 2008 comp stock weighs 30.5 lbs

5) It has a ridiculously low gear. I was going, like, 1 mph on flat pavement and pedaling my *ss off.

Hope this helps anyone who hasn't gotten around to riding one of these yet if they're gonna buy.
-AM

Posted: Feb 1, 2009 at 22:08 Quote
AMBikerJJ8 wrote:
That's what I'm thinking, but I want to test ride one first. Also, I got more info DIRECT (oh, OK, email) from Spesh HQ:
Stop right there. It's biased off the bat. It seems to me like you've had your mind set on this bike and have shut out all alternatives. I have test-ridden an 08 and the suspension still sucked. The Reign (not Reign X) rode better in every way. I suggest you do some further research before you plop down your money.

Posted: Feb 1, 2009 at 22:10 Quote
AMBikerJJ8 wrote:
5) It has a ridiculously low gear. I was going, like, 1 mph on flat pavement and pedaling my *ss off.
Very confused

Posted: Feb 1, 2009 at 22:25 Quote
Come on just get the Pitch or a Reign, why bother adding in Spesh's proprietary kit? My Pitch feels fine. The rear seems a bit dead at the start of the stroke on slow speed ripple stuff. I think that may be due more to the fact that I am not used to
a. trail bike rather then a plush DH rig.
b. air shock (Rp2)

What kind of shock PSI is everyone running on these bikes? I am running down around 110-120, being about 150lbs. Giving up a fair bit of pedaling efficiency, for a way better ride down. For traction while cornering and just having that plush feel.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011129
Mobile Version of Website