Specialized Sx Trail, Giant Reign XO/X1, or Transition Bottlerocket. Which One?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Specialized Sx Trail, Giant Reign XO/X1, or Transition Bottlerocket. Which One?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jan 19, 2009 at 22:52 Quote
I'm looking at buying my first full suspension bike after riding a hardtail for over five years. I used the search but the replies were inconsistant. I would like to know how these bikes ride from the people who used them. I plan on riding alot of trails consiting of both uphill and downhill riding. I generally want something I can ride down my favorite downhill trails, over to my buddies house, and still be able to take hit at the jump park. Theses are the bikes I am looking at:
2007/2008 Sx trail I/II

2008 Transition Bottlerocket

2008 Giant Reign XO/X1

Any imformation is much appreciated.

Thx
-Luke

Posted: Jan 19, 2009 at 23:00 Quote
piketeam wrote:
I'm looking at buying my first full suspension bike after riding a hardtail for over five years. I used the search but the replies were inconsistant. I would like to know how these bikes ride from the people who used them. I plan on riding alot of trails consiting of both uphill and downhill riding. I generally want something I can ride down my favorite downhill trails, over to my buddies house, and still be able to take hit at the jump park. Theses are the bikes I am looking at:
2007/2008 Sx trail I/II

2008 Transition Bottlerocket

2008 Giant Reign XO/X1

Any imformation is much appreciated.

Thx
-Luke
Given the fact that you'll be climbing a fair amount (by the sounds of it), I'd have to recommend the Reign. Solid climbing platform.

Posted: Jan 19, 2009 at 23:04 Quote
From what i have read up from considering buying a bottlerocket myself i think that that would be the best option.
the travel is perfect for a dj set yet will still be suitable for DH, especially coming from a hardtail. a sx is a great bike, but may be a little bit over the top for commuting and the reign wouldnt be reccommended for the local djs. so yer, go out to your lbs, try them out, that will be your best option

Posted: Jan 19, 2009 at 23:06 Quote
The Reign looks like it is the most of the do-it-all bike but i'm wondering how well these bikes pedal. I really don't want a bike that is heavy and slow to move around.

Posted: Jan 19, 2009 at 23:09 Quote
piketeam wrote:
The Reign looks like it is the most of the do-it-all bike but i'm wondering how well these bikes pedal. I really don't want a bike that is heavy and slow to move around.
A well built Reign would be your best bet (in my opinion). Really, it's the need to climb and do some serious pedaling that seals it for me. A Bottle rocket simply CANNOT compare in those aspects. With some real thought, a Reign can be built to a very reasonable weight without totaling the wallet. If you need convincing, shoot a PM to Maestroforlife. He'd be very willing to tell you all about the Maestro suspension platform and its many uses.

Posted: Jan 19, 2009 at 23:16 Quote
The reign sounds very promising and looks great, I have been hearing so much hype about the SX as well, it also appears to be a popular choice.

Posted: Jan 19, 2009 at 23:19 Quote
i've got a reign x0, love it to bits, my buddy has a sx trail 2, reign is better to pedal and for single track/xc. still heavy duty enough for dh and big jumps. x0 comes built up pretty light, with the crossmax wheels etc. depends on what jumps your thinking, dj's really need a dj bike. i bought my reign because it fitted all the riding i wanted to do, but also because i saw a kid from canada tear it up at the dream track here in queenstown, nz, hitting 50ft jumps no probs. on the smaller (15ft) jumps he was pulling 3's!
either way though, all those bikes are awesome. personal view, but bike strengths are
sx trail - dh/hardcore freeride/slopestyle
bottlerocket - jumps/slopestyle
reign x - everything! but not hardcore xc, still a bit heavy

Posted: Jan 19, 2009 at 23:26 Quote
yeah thanks I see your point. I didn't mean to say I would take it to the jump park but more trail jumping lauching big gaps, big air kind of thing, no like like doubles rythm section stuff. I will stil have my transition Top for that and street riding.

O+
Posted: Jan 19, 2009 at 23:39 Quote
i was in ur same position but i decided to go with a reign x1 that i purchased recently..it is being shipped now but when i get it i will definitely give u some info on how it rides up and downhill. I liked the reign x1 becuz it is still gonna b pretty light and i have ridden one at a resort and it was a blast on the downhill. The one i am getting is supposed to be around 33 pounds and it could easily get a lot lighter. I dont have a full spec list but 33 pounds is pretty damn good for 6.7 inches of travel. also i will post some pics when it arrives so u can see what it has and what not

Posted: Jan 19, 2009 at 23:43 Quote
thanks that would be greatly appreciated.Big Grin

Posted: Jan 19, 2009 at 23:55 Quote
Reign X for heavy duty all mountain riding, would be my pick.

If your going to spend more like half up half down, more XC based. Not sending 15 footers and the like. I'd suggest, the Spesh Enduro / Pitch or Regular Reign.

Personally I just picked up a 08 Pitch Pro. Very happy with it so far, just going to be building up a set of slightly burlier wheels. Other wise it fits my needs nicely. For aggressive single track and light all mountain riding. Basically any thing that I wouldn't enjoy so much on a 8" DH rig. Because pedaling that thing around for hours gets kinda old. The bike is nice and slack for what it is, just wish the BB was abit lower. Still getting used to it... A SX or ReignX would have handled better, in that department. Yet the pitch is still light and has lock out for going up. I only ride flat or up, to go down. So making that part as quick and painless as possible was the reason I opted out on getting a SX or ReignX.
photo

Posted: Jan 20, 2009 at 0:23 Quote
Specialized Pitch? It must be a 2009, I have never seen those before, they look sweet.

Posted: Jan 20, 2009 at 16:17 Quote
any more suggestions? Thanks.

Posted: Jan 20, 2009 at 20:18 Quote
piketeam wrote:
Specialized Pitch? It must be a 2009, I have never seen those before, they look sweet.
It is an 2008.

O+
Posted: Jan 22, 2009 at 4:18 Quote
I've got a 2008 sx trail at the minute. I was forced into a similar situation after moving house in that i had to get one bike to do everything (The wife was complaining that the bikes took up too much space), and so went for the sx. I'll be the first to admit that this isnt the best climber ive ever ridden, but you can climb on it, just depends on the speed you're wanting to get up there thats all. Once you start pointing down though this bike comes into its own, its a great descender, I've ridden this on the dh's at Ae & Innerleithen without a problem. Also ran it in France last year and it was great (until the fork blew up! different story).
Definitely recommend it.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010980
Mobile Version of Website