THE RANT ... Am I the ONLY one who is NOT a weight weenie?

PB Forum :: Downhill
THE RANT ... Am I the ONLY one who is NOT a weight weenie?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jan 21, 2009 at 21:41 Quote
OK, I have to admit when building up a bike, I have always been MORE concerned about Strength before Weight.

So here is my RANT TO THE WEIGHT WEENIES Salute don't take offense, its only an opinion like any opinion can be out to lunch Beer

I could care less if a set of rims is 100 grams lighter than my 729's ... that really doesn't help me when they taco off a 12" drop, or need truing every ride. Its just not worth it IMO.

Same as forks ... new '10 boxxers are under 6lbs ... well there is NO MAGIC metal compound being used here ... so I cannot believe it will be as strong as a 888 that is anywhere between 1-1.5 lbs heavier. That weight savings is coming from somewhere??

Or my favourite ... running cross country tubes in a DH bike. I laugh every time I pass somebody changing a CC tube out on the side of a trail. I almost want to ask "was it really worth saving the weight to have to fix flats all the time".

... and for those that choose a stem brand over another because its 4 grams lighter ..or drill holes in components or using Ti bolts to save a few grams ... well I won't even go there.

AND NOW ... after all these years of hearing HOW BAD single pivot bike designs were, look at what's making a dramatic comeback .. SINGLE PIVOT BIKES .. why ... because they are lighter to build .. that's it!!

OK, my rant is over...

Now some components I will buy a lighter version.. such as saddle, pedals, springs (ti) seatposts, etc.

I believe in dropping pounds where you can but NOT at the expense of sacrificing strength.

So whats with the weight weenies?? Are they all 120 lb dudes who can't handle a heavy bike??

I had a Reign X last year, and in its "light build" (single ply tires, light rims and CC tubes) it was downright SCARY to DH on. Sure it pedalled up nicely, but going down was no treat. Once I put on a set of heavy strong rims and tires, it was exponentially better at holding a line going downhill.

So my new "target weight" for my DH bike this year is going to be between 42-44lbs.

Personally, I find the light build bikes WAAAAYYY to unstable and twitchy. I don't want a 60lb rig, but am plenty strong enough to throw around a 42 lb rig. Am I the only one??

So am I alone in thinking that a lot of weight weenies should perhaps be investing is a gym membership rather than a digital scale to weight their bike parts???
Wink

O+
Posted: Jan 21, 2009 at 21:48 Quote
agreed. even tho my bike is lite i dont want it any liter for safty reasons lol

Posted: Jan 21, 2009 at 21:49 Quote
I see where your coming from... personally i like a light bike, around 38ish pounds. I will not sacrifice strength and performance for weight however. That has become a little bit costly haha. Don't worry about getting lighter that a 729, most people I know run them simply because they're so friggin strong and the weight isn't bad. The new boxxers have had a lot of engineering put into them, and they made the stanchions and lowers bigger so they could use less material, while making it stiffer and just as strong. They shaved grams by removing material in low stress areas. I'm running freeride tubes i think, they're a bit lighter and cheaper than dh tubes. I haven't seen many people building up single pivot bikes for a lighter build, because there are plenty of frames that you can get to a nice weight that are more complex and heavier (my demo 8 is sitting sub 40).

edit: Oh ya, tubeless is dumb. especially for DHers, because to be a successful racer you need to switch tires depending on the course. check out how many world cup guys run tubeless. I know the current top 10 don't, there's a reason.

Posted: Jan 21, 2009 at 21:50 Quote
The trick is to save weight without sacrificing strength. That costs money. It is also the reason why the younger "weight weenies" bikes' are always breaking. They compromise strength for weight.

Posted: Jan 21, 2009 at 21:51 Quote
I agree... I dont like the feeling of an unstable bike under me when going 60km down a rugged hill...

Posted: Jan 21, 2009 at 21:52 Quote
Also, if the bike is unstable, it's not the weight that is doing that. Something else is wrong (geometry most likely).

Posted: Jan 21, 2009 at 21:53 Quote
i have seen heavy bikes break and light bikes break brosef, heavier parts arent always stronger... and in my opinion for a downhill bike, lighter bikes are generally better!! and if i had spare cash to burn i would make my bike lighter.
i say gooday

Posted: Jan 21, 2009 at 21:54 Quote
Yeah I am doing the FR tubes as well ... its kind of a save weight where you can. I just can never see myself running a DH machine running 2.35 single ply tires, CC tubes, carbon bars, light rims ....

I would be terrified on a bike like this ... every missed tranny or drop would make me cringe!!! ... but I see A LOT of people are doing it. Eek

I have tried the super light weight bike (Reign X in stock form) and have ridden a fairly heavy bike (demo 9 - 48 lbs) ... and personally find something in the middle best in terms of handling and strength.

I'll never swap my rims, or run narrow wheelsets ... but thats just what I find works I guess 2 cents 2 cents

Posted: Jan 21, 2009 at 21:55 Quote
honestly the only weight that really matters is rotational weight. and having a light bike doesnt make you go faster either.

O+
Posted: Jan 21, 2009 at 21:56 Quote
Coming from the same Ideas in the past (build strong as possible) to now where I am trying to keep the weight low. There is a line inbetween where weight can be lost but then theres the other side where it gets to a point where its just not safe like my Glory people complein the frames friggen heavy well heres the differance while your out there on a V-10 wrecking bearings and snaping carbon links after a season where as the glory will atlast it (comparing those 2 because iv own/owned them both) and the heavier frame is worth it feel more solid and reliable then wheels yes wheels are better to keep light to a point I went from mag 30's to 729's and the bike just feels so much faster rolls better and everything. as for tires and tubes if your a smooth rider single ply and xc tubes are fine I run xc and single and I only flatted twice over the summer. (lots of kicking horse and mount 7 riding) So I do agree that weight is not worth the worry but only to a point. I race and lighter in a few areas can make a differance so it depends on your discepline of the sport I think on weather or not if you will worry about weight or not.

Ryan

Posted: Jan 21, 2009 at 22:03 Quote
i have tried to make my bike the lightest i could make it them i snapped the fork becuase i switched out my totem so now everything is stock except for the rims which i switched for the dt 2350

O+
Posted: Jan 21, 2009 at 22:23 Quote
i don't like spending more for something that is only a little bit lighter. it's not worth it. but you have to recognize that weight savings add up very quickley. that boxxer mixed with a ti spring, light bars and stem, light cranks, light peddals, i-beam post and i-fly seat. it all adds up. 450 grams in a pound...you do the math. saving a couple hundred grams here and another 400 there, well that's about 1.5 pounds alone. all i'm saying is it adds up quikly.

about the wheels. rotational mass feels like it weighs more because of centrepidal force and inertia. still, i wouldn't buy a certain wheelset because it shaves like half a pound, but in the process compromises it's weight.

this is why XT cranks were built Big Grin

O+
Posted: Jan 21, 2009 at 22:29 Quote
i think its all about compromise
i try and find strong parts that are reasonably light.
and if i buy something for its light weight ill put it in a low stress area.
case and point, front rim, doesnt have to be all that strong, i wouldnt buy a xc rim.
but something like a 721 or a single track, which is still decently strong and fairly light is a good idea.

however, on some things i agree its better to go for durability
f*ck, single ply tires and xc tubes. i haate riding with a pack, id rather have some heavy tubes and tires and not have to worry about pinch flatting every 2 seconds.

Posted: Jan 21, 2009 at 22:35 Quote
I'm with you on this one

here's my (at the time) 47 pound Norco SIX (that's right only six inches of rear travel) It now weighs 44 with an 05 66r

photo

the mud might have added a pound Razz

Posted: Jan 21, 2009 at 23:07 Quote
i'm to lazy to read the other comments, but weight, i really don't see the big issue, if your a light rider, by all mean's you might litterally need a lighter bike because you will not have the strength to manouver it, but like still, all these people doing so much just to shave off a pound or even a couple grams, like i'm going to say my hardtail weigs about 35 ibs... just a guess tho, it's a fr/dh hardtail. but i would much rather choose strength then weight, i'm not one of the smaller riders so a bigger bike/ one that weighs more isn't an issue for me.
but to get back on topic, i don't see why everyone cares so much ?
is it just for braging reasons ? somone explain!!!

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011550
Mobile Version of Website