THE RANT ... Am I the ONLY one who is NOT a weight weenie?

PB Forum :: Downhill
THE RANT ... Am I the ONLY one who is NOT a weight weenie?
Posted: Jan 22, 2009 at 18:21 Quote
i am proud to say i am not a weight weenie

Posted: Jan 22, 2009 at 19:33 Quote
dude, im not in the wrong sport, i weigh a bit over 40kgs and with a 20kg downhill bike, ill just be a passenger, for me a bike that weighs that much wont be good at all, maybe for an adult a 20kg bike wouldnt be too heavy, not for me
40lb is just right for dh, and a bit over 30lbs is pretty good for street/dj

Posted: Jan 22, 2009 at 19:40 Quote
loopsryder wrote:
norcorulz wrote:
dude, im not in the wrong sport, i weigh a bit over 40kgs and with a 20kg downhill bike, ill just be a passenger, for me a bike that weighs that much wont be good at all, maybe for an adult a 20kg bike wouldnt be too heavy, not for me
40lb is just right for dh, and a bit over 30lbs is pretty good for street/dj

OK... I was a bit harsh in my wording...

My comment was mainly directed toward the guys that weigh 180lbs and insist on shaving a bike down to 30 pounds.

A lighter guy can get away with a lighter bike of course...
o, ay least i know your not loopy Beer

180lb guy on a 30lb bike!?
oh dear

O+
Posted: Jan 22, 2009 at 19:43 Quote
I will add to my previous comment,
I find it is neither better to be a weight weenie or just all out strength. I find being weight consious and building smart are the way to go. As soon as your ready to drop 100$ to replace a perfectly good part to shred 13 grams its outa hand. but when your buying a diabolos bar (heavy as balls) when a ea 70 is much lighter and just as strong your looking the wrong way as well, Having said that before I get flamed for hating on a great product I just used the diabolos as a example great part good strength just heavy is all. also the maintnence on your parts need to be watched as in say a bar they should be replaced every season if you ride hard DH all the time. every part on the market will break its just a matter of time.

Ryan

Posted: Jan 22, 2009 at 19:43 Quote
loopsryder wrote:

This is what happens when going from a heavy bike to a light bike with only two days of MTB experience.... Don't worry the bike was a loaner lol

Were you alright? it looked like a pain in the ass!(literaly)

Posted: Jan 22, 2009 at 20:10 Quote
veet-88 wrote:
I find it is neither better to be a weight weenie or just all out strength. I find being weight consious and building smart are the way to go. As soon as your ready to drop 100$ to replace a perfectly good part to shred 13 grams its outa hand. but when your buying a diabolos bar (heavy as balls) when a ea 70 is much lighter and just as strong your looking the wrong way as well, Having said that before I get flamed for hating on a great product I just used the diabolos as a example great part good strength just heavy is all. also the maintnence on your parts need to be watched as in say a bar they should be replaced every season if you ride hard DH all the time. every part on the market will break its just a matter of time.

Ryan

Yeah agree about the Diabolus stuff. I like their stems so much that I decided to buy a set of their bars and seatpost ... not realizing that they could serve as boat anchors if you ever lost one. Realized that better products such as Easton and Thomson were available.

Gotta admit, after I started this post, I am REALLY surprised at the number of posters who are like me .. for a while I thought i was one of the minority. All I ever see are posts about weight, and "hey look at my 34.3 lbs DH bike" ... glad to see I am not the only one who thinks light bikes are going WAY overboard and is not embarrased to own a 42-44 lbs DH bike anymore (with a dual crown fork even ... oh but the single crowns are "just as strong and stiff" ... yeah OK :deadhorseSmile Beer Beer Beer

O+
Posted: Jan 22, 2009 at 20:13 Quote
vokes wrote:
veet-88 wrote:

Ryan

Yeah agree about the Diabolus stuff. I like their stems so much that I decided to buy a set of their bars and seatpost ... not realizing that they could serve as boat anchors if you ever lost one. Realized that better products such as Easton and Thomson were available.

Gotta admit, after I started this post, I am REALLY surprised at the number of posters who are like me .. for a while I thought i was one of the minority. All I ever see are posts about weight, and "hey look at my 34.3 lbs DH bike" ... glad to see I am not the only one who thinks light bikes are going WAY overboard and is not embarrased to own a 42-44 lbs DH bike anymore (with a dual crown fork even ... oh but the single crowns are "just as strong and stiff" ... yeah OK :deadhorseSmile Beer Beer Beer

If single crowns are just as good as all the dual crowns why do all the racers still run duallol Another good one is everyone hates on glory frames for being heavier than all but what they ignore is all the weight is placed really low resulting in a really stable and low Center of gravity which also makes cornering amazing.

Ryan

Posted: Jan 22, 2009 at 20:15 Quote
i is not. i dont even look at the weight anymore

Posted: Jan 22, 2009 at 20:24 Quote
Being a weight weenie can be a tad extreme, but I am definitely in there. I'll save weight where I can especially where it counts (no tubes, lighter wheels, bar, stem, post, cranks, saddle) but I won't sacrifice strength. That simply means ya gotta shell out for high end stuff to be both light and strong. I can run XC posts and saddles because I never sit.

Not all 40lb + bikes are created equal either. Take one fairly light frame, build it up with heavy parts (especially wheels) then take a heavier frame and build it up with weight-concious parts and even if both bikes' total weights are the same the bike with the lighter parts will be faster every time.

But I'm talking race bikes. If we're talking bike park riding or shuttling, its not such a big deal to run heavy shit.

Posted: Jan 22, 2009 at 20:57 Quote
cruelty-and-the-beast wrote:
austink123 wrote:
I dont care how much my bike ways, and I dont know how much it ways.

Weighs... they don't have English class in the u.s.?

apparantly not in Canada either, check out the post below you; gatoriswhite.. lol

Posted: Jan 22, 2009 at 21:00 Quote
i know this dude, he took out 3 rotor bolts to lighten his ride for d-ville last summer, dude was trippin' on something. true story.

Posted: Jan 22, 2009 at 21:01 Quote
TheFreit wrote:
i know this dude, he took out 3 rotor bolts to lighten his ride for d-ville last summer, dude was trippin' on something. true story.

he should take off his shoes and his helmet while hes at it, theyre just weighing him down WAYYY too much

Posted: Jan 22, 2009 at 21:03 Quote
flowbear wrote:
TheFreit wrote:

he should take off his shoes and his helmet while hes at it, theyre just weighing him down WAYYY too much

i know seriously, then he packs a full camelback with a ton of stuff, like completely full of gear, i mean come on!!

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.123030
Mobile Version of Website