The trend of really wide bars

PB Forum :: Downhill
The trend of really wide bars
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jan 22, 2009 at 9:31 Quote
Why are so many people now going back to running super wide bars? Guess what? Bars that wide on a mountain bike is kind of useless. Many of these guys will state that the bar on a motocross bike are really wide too, but the difference with that is mx bikes are big and heavy. You need wider bars to help with control of that weight and size. You don't need that much force to control a mountain bike. What they also don't realize is that often times woods racers (moto) will actually cut their bars down if the course is tight!

I recently rode a DH bike with 31" bars because I had to see what the hype was all about. After a couple of runs, I noticed that yes it was uncomfortably wide. But what made me really question these wide bars was when I got onto a very steep switchback where I had to get off the back of the bike. I had to reach out way too far on my outside hand.

There are way too many odd trends in mountain biking. This is one of them. To hear guys saying that super wide bars will trickle down to xc bikes as well is just too funny, because there especially its a hinderance.

Many people will say that you're just not used to it yet. Well then how is it that I can jump onto an MX bike and feel comfortable right away with the same width bars?

I'm in the process of building up a DH bike and I bought Cromag OS-x bars. The first thing I did was cut 1/2" off each end.

Posted: Jan 22, 2009 at 9:39 Quote
I agree that 31 inches is definitely over the top. But I'm running 29 inches and I think it has improved my bike handling skills drastically. It is a lot easier to 'style' the bike out and it feels like I have more control in higher speed situations because it slows down your steering.

FL
Posted: Jan 22, 2009 at 9:41 Quote
i run fairly wide bars (760mm) and i love them. I thinks its all down to your size and shape really depepnding on what size bars you need. But i agree it has become the fashion to run wide bars

Posted: Jan 22, 2009 at 9:49 Quote
Rob Warner in the latest issue of Dirt Mag says

"I think the fashion police need to have a word about the handlebar widths at World Cups, they're like cock extensions...some of those dudes look like they're being crucified on the way down."

Now that's funny.

Posted: Jan 22, 2009 at 9:53 Quote
I never ran my bars wide, not on my MX bike, nor on my mountain bike. I'm comfortable with them uncut stock width (I have Truvativ Hussefelts) and they're just fine.

Superwide bars are definetely an annoying trend.

Posted: Jan 22, 2009 at 10:03 Quote
im wit yoy boys, i hate wide bars
and i agree with your mx bike theory,
i feel comfortable instantly on my mx,
but on my buddies dh bike, it aint right

Posted: Jan 22, 2009 at 10:07 Quote
DrSanchez wrote:
Why are so many people now going back to running super wide bars? Guess what? Bars that wide on a mountain bike is kind of useless. Many of these guys will state that the bar on a motocross bike are really wide too, but the difference with that is mx bikes are big and heavy. You need wider bars to help with control of that weight and size. You don't need that much force to control a mountain bike. What they also don't realize is that often times woods racers (moto) will actually cut their bars down if the course is tight!

I recently rode a DH bike with 31" bars because I had to see what the hype was all about. After a couple of runs, I noticed that yes it was uncomfortably wide. But what made me really question these wide bars was when I got onto a very steep switchback where I had to get off the back of the bike. I had to reach out way too far on my outside hand.

There are way too many odd trends in mountain biking. This is one of them. To hear guys saying that super wide bars will trickle down to xc bikes as well is just too funny, because there especially its a hinderance.

Many people will say that you're just not used to it yet. Well then how is it that I can jump onto an MX bike and feel comfortable right away with the same width bars?

I'm in the process of building up a DH bike and I bought Cromag OS-x bars. The first thing I did was cut 1/2" off each end.

who cares

i dont know if i find my bars more comfortable then my old ones or not, but its what all my cool racer friends are doing

O+
Posted: Jan 22, 2009 at 10:17 Quote
JokerMachine wrote:
Superwide bars are definetely an annoying trend.

Its not like any one is forcing you to run wide bars.

First they ban skin suites, which is totally bollocks. I would not be surprised if they banned wide bars next.

If some one wants to run wide bars then for f*ck sake let them.

FL
Posted: Jan 22, 2009 at 10:18 Quote
no i bet the next thing they will ban are spd's!!!

Posted: Jan 22, 2009 at 10:34 Quote
Nobody's talking about banning anything. I'm calling it out for what it is - a goofy trend.

O+
Posted: Jan 22, 2009 at 10:40 Quote
Well someone else running wide bars is not effecting you at all so quite moaning about pointless things.

If people want to run wide bars then let them. People should be allowed to do what ever they want with out someone else moaning about it.

Posted: Jan 22, 2009 at 10:40 Quote
I think you shouldn't care about what kind of bars people buy, if you don't like them don't buy them. People have their own reasons why they buy wide bars and I don't think they should have to answer to you before buying them.

Posted: Jan 22, 2009 at 10:41 Quote
If I want to start a thread then let me, and quit your moaning mmkay?

...and I like it when people justify stupid trends. It makes me giggle.

JamesOliver wrote:
Well someone else running wide bars is not effecting you at all so quite moaning about pointless things.

If people want to run wide bars then let them. People should be allowed to do what ever they want with out someone else moaning about it.
I agree

DrSanchez wrote:
If I want to start a thread then let me, and quit your moaning mmkay?
its just that you sound like a baby who hasn't gotten its food

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008464
Mobile Version of Website