The MBUK Thread

PB Forum :: United Kingdom
The MBUK Thread
Posted: Feb 21, 2009 at 2:46 Quote
bigbenj-08 wrote:
Dirt is terrible. No idea whats going on in that mag. Given it 2 chances and both time I couldn't get to grips with it. Not much content compared to MBUK.

MBUK rules.
Reading Dirt is a whole different ball game. I find it takes a few sessions. First off go with a general flick through looking at the pics and reading snippits here and there. Next session it's time to get serious and read the articles - this can take anything from one full on stint to several mini sessions. The whole process can take from 1 to 3 nights. I'm sorry, but your 'not much content' comment is a bit silly. MBUK can be read cover to cover in a very short time but with Dirt you have to be willing to read and put in the time.
You'll also find that the Dirt guys don't mind calling a spade a spade, so you'll sometimes find a bit of contoversy & opinions you might not agree with.
Steve Jones is one of the main writers and test riders and once you get used to his sometimes rambling writing style he is very knowledgable, opinionated and entertaining. His World Cup DH reports are fascinating, engrossing and exciting to read. Now that Dirt has gone monthly it is sometimes a bit thin on the ground, but overall it's a very good mag and by far the best MTB mag in the newstand.

Posted: Feb 21, 2009 at 2:50 Quote
rstwosix wrote:
bigbenj-08 wrote:
Dirt is terrible. No idea whats going on in that mag. Given it 2 chances and both time I couldn't get to grips with it. Not much content compared to MBUK.

MBUK rules.
Reading Dirt is a whole different ball game. I find it takes a few sessions. First off go with a general flick through looking at the pics and reading snippits here and there. Next session it's time to get serious and read the articles - this can take anything from one full on stint to several mini sessions. The whole process can take from 1 to 3 nights. I'm sorry, but your 'not much content' comment is a bit silly. MBUK can be read cover to cover in a very short time but with Dirt you have to be willing to read and put in the time.
You'll also find that the Dirt guys don't mind calling a spade a spade, so you'll sometimes find a bit of contoversy & opinions you might not agree with.
Steve Jones is one of the main writers and test riders and once you get used to his sometimes rambling writing style he is very knowledgable, opinionated and entertaining. His World Cup DH reports are fascinating, engrossing and exciting to read. Now that Dirt has gone monthly it is sometimes a bit thin on the ground, but overall it's a very good mag and by far the best MTB mag in the newstand.

Is not a good read if you have to figure out what the hell they're writing about. took me ages to figure out what the features were all about in Dirt.

Posted: Feb 21, 2009 at 3:16 Quote
You have to be willing to take the time to read.

Posted: Feb 21, 2009 at 3:22 Quote
rstwosix wrote:
You have to be willing to take the time to read.

+1, it always takes a few goes but that's good, it means it lasts longer.

I still do read MBUK at my mate's house, it isn't that bad but it just seems like MTB light compared to Dirt.

But this is the MBUK thread, don't clog it up arguing about which mag is better you'll never agree.

Posted: Feb 21, 2009 at 3:23 Quote
i do find that MBUK has more content but having said that Dirt has better photo images.the thing i would like to see is a few more freeriders in Dirt like Romaniuk etc that would be good.but with Dirt just takes a little patience to get into.

Posted: Feb 21, 2009 at 3:44 Quote
HarryGillman wrote:
I [Quoten]agree. But to be honest, I think they test the bikes because they can. Why would someone buying a £3000 bike want to read a jargon buster telling you want a shifter is?[/Quoten]

somone with all the gear and no idea Razz

thats me!

Posted: Feb 21, 2009 at 6:08 Quote
bigbenj-08 wrote:
rstwosix wrote:
bigbenj-08 wrote:

MBUK rules.

Is not a good read if you have to figure out what the hell they're writing about. took me ages to figure out what the features were all about in Dirt.

I find it easy to read, i suggest you master your own language or stick to MBUK.

Posted: Feb 28, 2009 at 14:59 Quote
Have bikeradar completely scrapped there mtb team now, all 3 riders are on seperate companies and theres been no news on a new team?

Posted: Mar 1, 2009 at 2:59 Quote
rob-k wrote:
Have bikeradar completely scrapped there mtb team now, all 3 riders are on seperate companies and theres been no news on a new team?
That would seem to be the case.

Posted: Mar 1, 2009 at 13:47 Quote
rstwosix wrote:
rob-k wrote:
Yes, they have scrapped the team
Marc is on GT, Neil is on Zumbi and Will is on Lapierre for this season

Posted: Mar 1, 2009 at 13:49 Quote
spikeboysam9 wrote:
rstwosix wrote:
rob-k wrote:
Yes, they have scrapped the team
Marc is on GT, Neil is on Zumbi and Will is on Lapierre for this season
ah right, i thought so, is there any reason behind it is what i was really wanting to know and whether or not there will be another team in the future.

Posted: Nov 27, 2009 at 10:31 Quote
when i first got a dj bike i had no clue about anything and then bought an mbuk issue and learnt fast but now i know most of it i find it boring i mean i dont buy it to read whats the best xc bike because i dont do xc or whats the best lights to have because i dont need them . whenever i look back through my mates older issues i can always find something good same with the first issue i bought (229) but now all they wright about is crap articles and the odd dirt one which i finnish in a couple of hours and then theres nothing to read. The writers have no skill on a bike for example andrew dodd cant do alot on his stupidly exspensive cove foreplay whips probably the best he can do. i stopped buying it when they featured the how to section with mike smith on how to dj, i thought he was going to teach how to do 360 tuck no handers and backflips but no he teaches you how to get over jumps which was of no help what so ever. i now buy ride uk bmx mag now because they get the right mix of words and pictures and always wright about good stuff, with their reveiws for example they never pick a winner out of the bikes but instead they put good points and bad points about them like this months test no way would the subrosa tiro beat a wtp envy but they still had put good things about it. so if there was a dirt/street mtb mag like ride i would buy that for definet

Posted: Dec 24, 2009 at 7:20 Quote
Up in till now I have been reading MBUK and I've been getting shit board of it and after reading this post the other night I thought id go out and get dirt and see what its all about. I've gotta say it seems a much better mag and me being into downhill and a bit of street and dirt riding it suites me down to the ground. Thanks folks for recommending it. But I think MBUK is good to get into the sport, it allows you to decide which discipline is best for you with all the different disciplines they cover.

Posted: Dec 24, 2009 at 7:42 Quote
in my opinion i find that MBUK is a tad overpriced for what is it.Eek
also I find that the reveiws are biased Book

i find that Ride bmx uk and Dirt mag are much better Smile

Posted: Dec 24, 2009 at 8:03 Quote
whoaa thread revival.
MBUK used to be pretty good when i started riding good tips, DVD's, stickers and Rob Jarman doing all sorts of crazy sh#t.
Unfortunately everything changes and i found the mag mellowed out a bit and started trying to appeal to a more mainstream reader (there's MBR for that) and maybe taking itself a little bit too seriously, not blaming anyone but around the same time they got a new journo in (sorry i don't recall her name) and then the nail in the coffin for me was reading an article titled "how good is doddy" and i just thought how f#cking arrogant and have never bought it since.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.014830
Mobile Version of Website