As a bicycle mechanic what is your most hated job?

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
As a bicycle mechanic what is your most hated job?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jan 24, 2009 at 13:23 Quote
Ok my most hated jobs to start things off.

Trying to polish a turd. i.e trying to set up a crappy cheap bike that will never work properly coz the parts are just crap. Usually these bikes come to us from ppl who have no idea and have brought the bikes off the net or catalogue companies (not mentioning any names, we all know who they are) to try to save themselves some money then realise when they turn up in a box. "oh, I have to build it" Really I dont think this should be able to happen as with most boxed bikes it actually says on the box or in the instructions "if not assembled by a qualified cycle mechanic it may void the warranty" etc etc. Also I think the british standards of bikes should be much firmer. Honestly some of the crap that gets sold these days. Like £40 for a mountain bike for example. Sound too good to be true? Thats coz it is morons! you get what you pay for!! lol. Honestly just dont bother. These type of bikes are just death traps.

It also annoys me trying to correct other shops poor work. Again not mentioning any names but one large company in particular springs to mind. cough cough. lol

Then theres working on road bikes. Well we all know how boring that can be lol

Then theres electric bikes. Err yeh Im a mechanic not an electrician.

And then the really crappy old bikes that should have been condemed years ago. lol. You know the type. The ones with the sturmey archer gear hub that was made the year your nan was born. With the cotter pins worn so much that the cranks rock back and forth. And oh yes. Who can forget the joys of setting up rod brakes. lol. Sometimes as I mechanic I just wanna down a bottle of dot fluid just to make the day more interesting lol.

Posted: Jan 24, 2009 at 13:33 Quote
I don't work in a bike shop but I did work experience at one. I really hated having to fix peoples bikes that were really dirty, I wish they would just clean it first! Also this dude came in whos bke needed a serivice but he greased everything with some kinda shit that was like vaseline Confused It was annoying.

Posted: Jan 24, 2009 at 14:10 Quote
trying to explain to some dick that thinks he knows it all that he is wrong, it never gets easier. rod brakes are a c*nt too, especially when the muppet that owns the bike insists that a basket that bends the rods is actually a good idea.

oh tidying the workshop, thats the worst,

Posted: Jan 24, 2009 at 14:12 Quote
lol and searching for tools coz the other mechanics dont put them back where they belong! lol

Posted: Jan 24, 2009 at 14:15 Quote
Oh and fitting 1001 accessories to a bike.
eg
mudgaurds
rear rack
panniers
lights
pump
bottle and cage
prop stand
lock
slime puncture protection
basket
gel saddle
etc
etc
etc

lol. Honestly I sware some ppl think they are gonna tour the world lol

Posted: Jan 24, 2009 at 14:26 Quote
Sorry dont mean to spam my own thread but just thought of another one lol

Building or replacing spokes in these bloody stupid bmx wheels with hundreds of spokes lol

Posted: Jan 24, 2009 at 14:38 Quote
my bro works as one and he always comes home pissed when people want him to fix punctures lol

and one time a tramp came in and he stank and he had his like 748356978 years old asking for something. i dont remember. but he wouldnt leave so he just gave it to him cause he smelled bad Razz

Posted: Jan 25, 2009 at 13:22 Quote
typecaRl wrote:
eg
mudgaurds
rear rack
panniers
lights
pump
bottle and cage
prop stand
lock
basket
gel saddle
etc
etc
etc

Totally agree on that, especially if it´s on a bike that never was intended to have all that as nothing fits and everything looks crap when your done.

Posted: Jan 25, 2009 at 13:31 Quote
Blomdahl wrote:
typecaRl wrote:
eg
mudgaurds
rear rack
panniers
lights
pump
bottle and cage
prop stand
lock
basket
gel saddle
etc
etc
etc

Totally agree on that, especially if it´s on a bike that never was intended to have all that as nothing fits and everything looks crap when your done.

Fenders and racks on Crescents! Wink

Posted: Jan 25, 2009 at 13:31 Quote
dude you are so right! especially fitting lights with there crappy mounts that dont fit properly and have to be cut down and stuff, but yeah i think youve managed to hit everything there, oh and theres the bikes that come straight out of the box with untruable wheels and nice big scratches all over them

Posted: Jan 25, 2009 at 14:16 Quote
Themaninthenorth wrote:
Blomdahl wrote:
typecaRl wrote:
eg
mudgaurds
rear rack
panniers
lights
pump
bottle and cage
prop stand
lock
basket
gel saddle
etc
etc
etc

Hahahaha!! We should know!! Smile

Posted: Jan 25, 2009 at 14:18 Quote
Blomdahl wrote:
Themaninthenorth wrote:
Blomdahl wrote:

Hahahaha!! We should know!! Smile

Oh yea!
Cool

Posted: Jan 25, 2009 at 14:29 Quote
Ok i'm not a mech but...

When customers ask "can i borrow the tools and i'll work on it myself?"
or
"i've come to drop my bike off for a service, can i come back in 45 mins?"
i then respond with
"no sorry, we are booked out for the next 3 weeks!"
which is returned with
"your kidding 3 weeks, why?"

why do you think, because we are all working very hard on designing barbie a custom bike with 4 inches of trav, like obviously we are booked out with other repairs!

was also going to say, for our boys just when they work on bikes and the repairs might be $450 n a new bike is only $475

Posted: Jan 25, 2009 at 14:41 Quote
i really hate adjusting shitty bmx brakes

Posted: Jan 25, 2009 at 15:25 Quote
beneathmiskin1 wrote:
i really hate adjusting shitty bmx brakes

lol there really isnt any point is there? They dont work whatever you do lol. Then the bmxers just remove them anyway after you have spent ages trying to get them to at least bring the bike to a slow lol.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.091214
Mobile Version of Website