Intense Socom 08 vs. Santa Cruz V 10 vs. IH Sunday 08 ...... what frame you recomend?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Intense Socom 08 vs. Santa Cruz V 10 vs. IH Sunday 08 ...... what frame you recomend?
Posted: Feb 5, 2009 at 7:35 Quote
I have never ridden any of those bikes, so my opion might not account for much, if i was to buy one. I think i would go for the Socom. Looks really nice, light, but still plenty tough. Chris Kovarik raced on it at Willigen. He is a seriously aggressive rider so if he can ride that then it should be able to handle your riding. Hope that helps you choose. M6 is another choice by the way. Would be like the V10.

Posted: Feb 5, 2009 at 7:46 Quote
mr-wilson wrote:
Socom is a great frame, have nothing bad to say about it. Both are very similar. Socom can run a 135mm rear end or 150 (jcopple correct me if I'm wrong). Otheriwise the devinci has a little more travel. It more or less depends on whether or not you want VPP or Horst.

you are right about the rear end! if it comes to the point,i can maybe ride a little bit one socom that my friend has,but no one in czech has the wilson 4,so i don´t know how it rides,and how does the HORST link works,so that might be a little blind step for me,but maybe i would love it if i would buy the wilson,but now it looks like i will go with the socom

Posted: Feb 5, 2009 at 7:52 Quote
polidh wrote:
you are right about the rear end! if it comes to the point,i can maybe ride a little bit one socom that my friend has,but no one in czech has the wilson 4,so i don´t know how it rides,and how does the HORST link works,so that might be a little blind step for me,but maybe i would love it if i would buy the wilson,but now it looks like i will go with the socom

Horst link is the same type of suspension used on Mondraker, Norco, and (mainly) Specialized. The actual shock can be driven in a variety of ways, but the main part of it is a pivot on the chainstay, right infront of the axle. This has the effect of reducing brake jack. They are very easy to set-up. Cons of it are they do have pedal bob when on the flats. Though really no more than any average 9in travel bike and the other con is that sometimes they can have a certain dead feeling in their midstorke. Always hear that from people coming from a single pivot bike.

Posted: Feb 5, 2009 at 7:58 Quote
mr-wilson wrote:
polidh wrote:

Horst link is the same type of suspension used on Mondraker, Norco, and (mainly) Specialized. The actual shock can be driven in a variety of ways, but the main part of it is a pivot on the chainstay, right infront of the axle. This has the effect of reducing brake jack. They are very easy to set-up. Cons of it are they do have pedal bob when on the flats. Though really no more than any average 9in travel bike and the other con is that sometimes they can have a certain dead feeling in their midstorke. Always hear that from people coming from a single pivot bike.

so you say it may have it bit of feeling like the FSR linkage? i have riden the old IH sgs world cup,and it had a bit of wheel bob while pedaling on flat,but thats like 4 years ago!now I have a specialized SX (4X version) and pedals great...but its a short travel bike,so its hard to say...

Posted: Feb 5, 2009 at 8:00 Quote
FSR = Horst

Horst Leitner is the guy who "created" it, not sure what the acronym FSR stands for, though they are the same thing.

Posted: Feb 5, 2009 at 8:02 Quote
mr-wilson wrote:
FSR = Horst

Same thing.

so it may not be as good as the intense link....right?

Posted: Feb 5, 2009 at 8:04 Quote
That's really up to the rider themselves to choose. Both have pros and cons.

Posted: Feb 5, 2009 at 11:22 Quote
I rode a Horst link bike before the Socom, a Brodie Devo, and it was a great feeling bike. The VPP of the Socom makes for a better pedaling bike, which is great for exit speed and pedally courses.
They are both great platforms for the application, just watch the stroke length of the shock on some Horst bikes, the longer the better. They sometimes have a high leverage ratio that can make fine shock tuning difficult affecting the ride of the frame.
If I were asked straight out which one I liked better I have to go with the Socom's VPP.

Posted: Feb 7, 2009 at 5:25 Quote
polidh wrote:
yegs wrote:
if your interested in weight, the socom is a nice choice, mine was about 40 pounds with an average build, its 39 now with plenty more potential

yeah im going with the socom this year,if everything goes as it should.....you one is sweet,how much have you paid for the frame?
for 3180 canadian including tax, i got the frame with a dhx 5 and titanium spring,rear axle,headset,bottom bracket,seatpost and derailleur cable and housing

Posted: Feb 7, 2009 at 5:49 Quote
yegs wrote:
polidh wrote:
yegs wrote:
if your interested in weight, the socom is a nice choice, mine was about 40 pounds with an average build, its 39 now with plenty more potential

yeah im going with the socom this year,if everything goes as it should.....you one is sweet,how much have you paid for the frame?
for 3180 canadian including tax, i got the frame with a dhx 5 and titanium spring,rear axle,headset,bottom bracket,seatpost and derailleur cable and housing

thats really not bad,if it was for a new frame and the rest!!!sweet build for sure

Posted: Feb 7, 2009 at 9:16 Quote
polidh wrote:
yegs wrote:
polidh wrote:

thats really not bad,if it was for a new frame and the rest!!!sweet build for sure
actually thats very good, the frame at my shop retails for 3277 with tax, its the 08 model too, which i bought in summer 08, i just got a good deal on it

Posted: Feb 7, 2009 at 10:06 Quote
yegs wrote:
polidh wrote:
yegs wrote:

actually thats very good, the frame at my shop retails for 3277 with tax, its the 08 model too, which i bought in summer 08, i just got a good deal on it

nice!! i hope i will be lucky to buy one for a good price!

Posted: May 5, 2009 at 8:02 Quote
bleakers wrote:
photo

photo

photo

theres the 3 frames your looking at i would recomend the v10 by far then the socom and then the sunday last..
That V10 is mine!!!!!!!!

Posted: May 5, 2009 at 10:18 Quote
I think you would be suprised at how agile the V10 is if you get the right size.
People talk about the sag on them, but its really not an issue.

I have had:
Kona Stinky
Norco Atomik
Yeti DH9
Orange 223
Foes DHS Mono

And now the V10 (mk2)

My riding partner has the 08 Iron Horse Factory, and they are great too.
The only real way to solve this one is to get a ride on all 3.
Not an easy task, but probably very very worthwhile in the long run.

Posted: May 5, 2009 at 12:08 Quote
Face-plant wrote:
I think you would be suprised at how agile the V10 is if you get the right size.
People talk about the sag on them, but its really not an issue.

I have had:
Kona Stinky
Norco Atomik
Yeti DH9
Orange 223
Foes DHS Mono

And now the V10 (mk2)

My riding partner has the 08 Iron Horse Factory, and they are great too.
The only real way to solve this one is to get a ride on all 3.
Not an easy task, but probably very very worthwhile in the long run.

hi, sorry about using your photo,i didnt know that it was yours....and thanks for the help,but i have bought a brand new Lapierre DH920 last week and its almost complete!!but thanks anyway!

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.026753
Mobile Version of Website