best crank ever?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
best crank ever?
Posted: Nov 7, 2007 at 17:15 Quote
I bent a pair of profiles and the warranty took so long I had to buy diabolus' instead. I love them but I have toasted a couple bb's. It seems that all external bb's truvativ, shimano, raceface, they all seem to suck. Mountain bike companies should start using bmx style bb's. You could still do the two piece interface and they might last longer. maybe not though because us mtbers tend to get our shit really dirty and then not clean it

Posted: Nov 7, 2007 at 17:18 Quote
willbikeforbeer wrote:
I bent a pair of profiles and the warranty took so long I had to buy diabolus' instead. I love them but I have toasted a couple bb's. It seems that all external bb's truvativ, shimano, raceface, they all seem to suck. Mountain bike companies should start using bmx style bb's. You could still do the two piece interface and they might last longer. maybe not though because us mtbers tend to get our shit really dirty and then not clean it
haha true that.. after a couple weeks i was chizzling the dirt off my bike.

Posted: Nov 7, 2007 at 18:28 Quote
i have saints, and i do love them, and i havent had any problem with the bearings yet... i also love the first generation raceface cranks i have on my dj bike, super-light and pretty stiff, the only problem is the square taper bb.

you do put out much more than 1/8 hp when pedaling... i hate it when people pull bs statistics out of their ass.

[Quoten]We read anecdotal comments that a rider can only pedal by pushing on the pedals. How does power from "pushing only" compare with pedaling using all the muscles?

Power using all muscle groups
525.9 watts
Power from Pushing Only
440.1 watts
Difference
-85.8 watts
% Difference -16.7 %
http://www.analyticcycling.com/PedalImpMuscleStrength_Disc.html[/Quoten]

im honestly not sure who was the test subject in this case, but i would assume they are pretty average, as many tour de france riders put out 1000+ watts when sprinting.

now 1hp is 746 watts, so in this case the unclipped person would be able to apply power only on the downstroke, so 440 watts. although this isnt 1hp, its much more than 1/8 hp previously stated, and this is for a sustainable power output. I expect sprinting (even if you were not a pro tour rider) you would be capable of over 1hp

Posted: Nov 7, 2007 at 18:33 Quote
Bonz. super stiff. super sexy

O+
Posted: Nov 7, 2007 at 18:34 Quote
Race Face Diabolous.

Posted: Jan 2, 2008 at 7:55 Quote
i have had both sets.

the saints are very easy to put on i must admit and are quite stiff,stiffer than atlas.

yeah the diabolus are a pain to fit but once there on there they only need to come of to change the bottom bracket,also some dude in dirt mag has had a set of diabolus cranks for 2 years with only new bb needed.

Posted: Jan 2, 2008 at 10:10 Quote
I bought saints because I cant afford diabolous. Diabolous are noticably stiffer. I went from hones to saints and Id be hard pressed to choose between them in terms of stiffness. My mate runs diabolous and they are the best cranks Ive ever tried.

FL
Posted: Jan 2, 2008 at 12:21 Quote
my vote goes for plain old XT's over saints any day.
Saints are just too heavy and ott for your average joe - i've seen sooo many 14 year olds who couldnt weigh more than 10 stone with saints, its just pointless.
IMO If all you do is drops and gash jumps then, and only then, are saints worth it. At all other times a plain old pair of xt will just do fine for most people (and save a lb in weight!)

Posted: Jan 2, 2008 at 12:29 Quote
I vote for middleburn RS7.

Posted: Jan 2, 2008 at 12:35 Quote
I'm going to have to go with Race Face as well... Love their stuff!

Posted: Jan 2, 2008 at 12:38 Quote
Race Face Diablous, Best cranks ever. Feels strong and safe. My next choice would be Deity cranks...

Posted: Jan 2, 2008 at 13:00 Quote
hope are bringing out a bb this year then this should sort out the bb problem cos there bomb proof, the bearings in pro II hubs last for ever.
so my vote goes for shimano saints 165mm with a hope pimp red bb lol

Posted: Jan 2, 2008 at 13:06 Quote
'08 Diety Vendetta... with optional titanium spindle...a MTB specific 3 piece crankset modeled after a bmx crankset...

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.017917
Mobile Version of Website