best crank ever?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
best crank ever?
Posted: Jan 2, 2008 at 13:13 Quote
bigquotes
my vote goes for plain old XT's over saints any day.
Saints are just too heavy and ott for your average joe - i've seen sooo many 14 year olds who couldnt weigh more than 10 stone with saints, its just pointless.
IMO If all you do is drops and gash jumps then, and only then, are saints worth it. At all other times a plain old pair of xt will just do fine for most people (and save a lb in weight!)

Someone is jealous^^^^

Saints are pretty amazin though look cool too !
Pimp

Posted: Jan 2, 2008 at 13:15 Quote
softlad1993 wrote:
bigquotes
Saints are just too heavy and ott for your average joe - i've seen sooo many 14 year olds who couldnt weigh more than 10 stone with saints, its just pointless.
IMO If all you do is drops and gash jumps then, and only then, are saints worth it. At all other times a plain old pair of xt will just do fine for most people (and save a lb in weight!)

Someone is jealous^^^^

Pimp

Don't buy something because it looks cool. I'd also rather a set of XT cranks.

Posted: Jan 2, 2008 at 13:17 Quote
So what buy something that is ugly and boring to look at? Confused

You make alot of sense man (sarcasm) Confused

Pimp

Posted: Jan 2, 2008 at 13:26 Quote
the reason there are quite a few 14 year olds is often that they are running frames with 83mm bb shells, and the only External bb options for those are saint M605 or diabolous, or possibly FSA gravity, and due the the fact saints are about £100 cheaper than the other two, theres your reason.

Posted: Jan 2, 2008 at 13:28 Quote
Muttley wrote:
the reason there are quite a few 14 year olds is often that they are running frames with 83mm bb shells, and the only External bb options for those are saint M605 or diabolous, or possibly FSA gravity, and due the the fact saints are about £100 cheaper than the other two, theres your reason.

Bang on

Posted: Jan 2, 2008 at 13:36 Quote
softlad1993 wrote:
bigquotes

Someone is jealous^^^^

Pimp

even if i won the lottery i'd buy xt's over saints.

Posted: Jan 2, 2008 at 13:39 Quote
Your never going to win the lottery and thats your opinion about xt`s over saints.

Posted: Jan 2, 2008 at 13:40 Quote
Muttley wrote:

how many frames are out there running 83mm bb shells not that many thats for sure.

of all the saint cranks i have seen they were on 68-73mm shells.

saints are cheap solid and reliable.

Posted: Jan 2, 2008 at 13:48 Quote
Muttley wrote:

ok, bit of a rant here, and this could start up a compleatly new thread - does your AVERAGE 14 year old require a full on DH bike (with an 83mm shell), who (90% of the time) cant ride for sh#t, also really and truely require saints?

- thats my point.

Most riders out there, let alone 14 year olds, i've ever seen with flash bikes (through out the last 15 years of me riding around, not just recently) just dont require the same components as the pro's. Plain old XT's will perform just as well for 90% of the people on this site, its just that we are all lead by fashion, and the 'need' to have the strongest parts out there driven by marketing hype.

waits for backlash.....Eek

Posted: Jan 2, 2008 at 13:51 Quote
Listen mate your a complete idiot and you havent got a clue what your going on about.
Yeah i`m 14 and you aint ever seen me ride so who are you to tell me what parts i need and dont need if i want saints or whatever other parts i can buy them and put them on my dh bike.Its got nothing at all to do with you for all you know i may be a better rider than you !

You sound like a little jealous kid shut your mouth!

Posted: Jan 2, 2008 at 13:52 Quote
monkeyboyjc wrote:
Muttley wrote:

ok, bit of a rant here, and this could start up a compleatly new thread - does your AVERAGE 14 year old require a full on DH bike (with an 83mm shell), who (90% of the time) cant ride for sh#t, also really and truely require saints?

- thats my point.

Most riders out there, let alone 14 year olds, i've ever seen with flash bikes (through out the last 15 years of me riding around, not just recently) just dont require the same components as the pro's. Plain old XT's will perform just as well for 90% of the people on this site, its just that we are all lead by fashion, and the 'need' to have the strongest parts out there driven by marketing hype.

waits for backlash.....Eek

i agree and disagree,im 15.5 stone and dont want to worry wether or not xt will take the abuse my cranks get,im no pro and thats the other reason i run strong cranks because im not smooth like a pro.

yeah most 12-15 year olds buy stuff for the bling but thats the business we are in and why buy a rumble when a trek will do,not having a go at the rumble but its the same sorta answer you gave.

BACKLASH
naa i can see were your coming from and im not 'havin a go'
i'm 15 weigh 10.5 stone and have had my saints for 2years nw havnt changed a bb once
they've been on numerous bikes now
and that is the reason i bought them cos i know they are an investment i hope to be ridin them in 2years to come!

softlad1993 wrote:
Listen mate your a complete idiot and you havent got a clue what your going on about.
Yeah i`m 14 and you aint ever seen me ride so who are you to tell me what parts i need and dont need if i want saints or whatever other parts i can buy them and put them on my dh bike.Its got nothing at all to do with you for all you know i may be a better rider than you !

You sound like a little jealous kid shut your mouth!

he is 29 or so his profile says.Smile

Posted: Jan 2, 2008 at 14:02 Quote
i new i'd get hate for opening my mouth.....

softlad 1993 - open sarcasm brakets "you, nah i'd never have guessed your 14" close sarcasm brackets.
i'm not jealous, and i'm not picking on you personaly.
i could have bought saints many times in the last few years, i've actually recently 'downgraded' to hones from some evolves (as you can see by the my bikes posted on here). The reasons being that the evolves were to ott for me. And yes i admit i'm not the best rider out there, or the worst.
oh and...
You sound like a little 14 year old kid, shut your mouth!

Marquis - yes i'm 29, if you've ever snapped a pair of cranks (not bb's) then fair enough, if not then in my opinion XT's are just as good.

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012887
Mobile Version of Website