How do i adjust the High speed compression on my 5th element progressive coil shock(2004 i think)

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
How do i adjust the High speed compression on my 5th element progressive coil shock(2004 i think)
  • Previous Page
Posted: Feb 2, 2009 at 12:00 Quote
i want to adjust the high speed compression on my 5th element but i cant see any of the writing on it. as you can see:
photo

is it one of the blue allen key screws? if so which one?
your help would much apreciated. Thanks!

Posted: Feb 2, 2009 at 13:10 Quote
there is no high speed, the blue dials control beggining and end stroke compression. with my faith, using to much made me ride to harsh. fiddle with them till you find something you like

Posted: Feb 2, 2009 at 13:15 Quote
It should say on the reservoir body what they do.

I run mine with the beginning stroke wide open, end stroke full closed, and rebound full open, with bottom out resistance turned in most of the way.

Thinking of just buying a Fox Vanilla R, old school one with no pro-pedal.

Posted: Feb 2, 2009 at 13:20 Quote
ah ok. thanks for the help! i would look on the resevoir but i cant see what it says. all i can see is a + and a - on each one. thanks anywaySmile

Posted: Feb 2, 2009 at 13:21 Quote
Borgschulze wrote:
It should say on the reservoir body what they do.

I run mine with the beginning stroke wide open, end stroke full closed, and rebound full open, with bottom out resistance turned in most of the way.

Thinking of just buying a Fox Vanilla R, old school one with no pro-pedal.
where is the bottom out resistance. sorry to pester but i seriously cannot see anything on the resevior.

Posted: Feb 2, 2009 at 13:23 Quote
just turn them both to max, and sit on your bike. open one all the way, if it feels the same, you most likely opened the end stoke, and have beg stoke at max. and vicee versa

Posted: Feb 2, 2009 at 14:02 Quote
rockafella wrote:
just turn them both to max, and sit on your bike. open one all the way, if it feels the same, you most likely opened the end stoke, and have beg stoke at max. and vicee versa
ok. turning them clockwise moves them more to max yes?

Posted: Feb 2, 2009 at 14:04 Quote
melonhead1145 wrote:
rockafella wrote:
ok. turning them clockwise moves them more to max yes?
and turning them to max means theres more end/begining stroke compression?

Posted: Feb 2, 2009 at 14:07 Quote
Bottom out resistance is where the air valve is, you'll need a socket to turn it.

The blue adjustment on the non-drive side of your bike in that picture is the Beginning Stroke, drive side is End stroke.

Posted: Feb 2, 2009 at 14:08 Quote
Borgschulze wrote:
Bottom out resistance is where the air valve is, you'll need a socket to turn it.

The blue adjustment on the non-drive side of your bike in that picture is the Beginning Stroke, drive side is End stroke.
cheers, i'l go fiddle now!

Posted: Feb 2, 2009 at 14:28 Quote
Back it out all the way and dial in the low speed a little. Those shocks have a lot of compression damping, but they do well on those old V10 frames. The V10 ramps up at its end stroke quite a bit so high speed damping is a little overkill.

Posted: Feb 2, 2009 at 14:32 Quote
5th Element doesn't have high and low speed compression.

Beginning stroke just makes the shock feel horrible.

Posted: Feb 2, 2009 at 14:36 Quote
if i have the begining stroke blue bolt all the way out does this mean theres more begining stroke compression?

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.012761
Mobile Version of Website