Is armor needed for riding freeride hardtail?

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
Is armor needed for riding freeride hardtail?
Posted: Nov 5, 2007 at 22:54 Quote
i wear armor even tho i'm a newb like i'm doing wheelie drops skinnies and some small drops because i just feel safer and i like it when i can just get up and go when i fall (gloves shin/knee pad helmet ofcourse and sometimes elbow)

Posted: Nov 5, 2007 at 23:11 Quote
bigquotesonly if you have been crashing and hurting yourself a lot and feel that you need it although if you do not crash regularily then you are not pushing yourself enoughth personnally i like a pot lid helmet fingerless gloves and clear glasses
if u crash regularily then u suck balls cause i push myself eveyday and barley crash and im not that good

Posted: Nov 5, 2007 at 23:13 Quote
steamer16613292 wrote:
bigquotesonly if you have been crashing and hurting yourself a lot and feel that you need it although if you do not crash regularily then you are not pushing yourself enoughth personnally i like a pot lid helmet fingerless gloves and clear glasses
if u crash regularily then u suck balls cause i push myself eveyday and barley crash and im not that good

thanx for the insight, now shut up.Madder

O+
Posted: Nov 5, 2007 at 23:21 Quote
terriflow3-0 wrote:

Order of Importance (in my Opinion)
Helmet
Gloves
Knee/Shin
Upper Body (Spine and torso/forarm and elbow)
Goggles

IMO
Helmet
Goggles ( contacts get dry and glasses wont work well for me and not being able to see while riding isnt a good idea)
Knee/Shin (buddy got 15 stiches b/c he was riding w/o them)
Upper body
gloves

Posted: Nov 5, 2007 at 23:29 Quote
shondo wrote:
I never once claimed that armour prevented or reduced breakage injuries. Re-read the posts.
My objection to the previous poster was his unsupportable claim that as body armour would have done nothing to prevent injuries in his accidents, we could all then assume that armour was "useless".
Fair enough, I think there was a misunderstanding as to what each of us was talking about.

shondo wrote:
You're right, that's completely irrelevant.
Yeah, I was just referring to what another poster had said earlier.

Posted: Nov 5, 2007 at 23:33 Quote
shin gaurds are the most used and most important pice of protection for me. I would have the most hideous legs ever if all the cuts on my shin gaurds ended up on my shins.

Posted: Nov 6, 2007 at 7:57 Quote
btray8 wrote:
Fair enough, I think there was a misunderstanding as to what each of us was talking about.

And fair enough to you as well...I re-read my posts from yesterday, and I believe I may have been having an attack of early onset male P.M.S..
I may have been a bit bitchy. (ok , very bitchy)
but I do stand by my opinions.
Anyhow, cheers.

Posted: Nov 6, 2007 at 13:49 Quote
Shin guards are the most important thing after the helmet... I usually wear my sixsixone pressure suit though. However i separated my shouler half a year ago wearing it, it doesn't always save you, maybe spine protection is the most important part of it Smile

Posted: Nov 6, 2007 at 14:13 Quote
Pads can stop a variety of fractures. The really - and I mean REALLY - big impact fractures can't really be stopped by anything much. Falling 20 foot onto your leg isn't going to improve it, knee pads or no. However, these crashes are rare. It's far more likely that a broken leg could occur by a hefty impact square with a rock, clean on the shin. This could easily be prevented by hardshell armour.

This is particularly relevant to the spine: breaking your back Aaron Chase-style, where the spine is broken by a perpendicular impact, would easily be prevented by backbone protection. The same rule applies though: a massive impact through the neck or head, Stephen Murray-style, is both unpreventable (although if you plan on continuing to exist after this happens, a helmet is advisory) and very, very serious.

Posted: Nov 6, 2007 at 14:41 Quote
well i broke my wrist by falling 20 feet or more onto my arm.
i was wearing hardshell armour too. it didnt really help!
but i dont really hold that against it because the only thing that would have saved me would have been 10 feet deep of mattressess.

Posted: Nov 7, 2007 at 18:34 Quote
so i have:

full face helmet
goggles
gloves
axo shin pads

and thats all, still contemplating the pressure suit. Maybe if i got upper body armor i wouldn't get something big like the 661 pressure suit, maybe something a little lighter like an axo or a fox armour.

any thoughts?

cheers

Posted: Nov 7, 2007 at 20:11 Quote
devincirider123 wrote:
so i have:

full face helmet
goggles
gloves
axo shin pads

and thats all, still contemplating the pressure suit. Maybe if i got upper body armor i wouldn't get something big like the 661 pressure suit, maybe something a little lighter like an axo or a fox armour.

any thoughts?

cheers

I think there's lots of options from lots of smaller companies too, Google around.

Posted: Nov 7, 2007 at 20:26 Quote
Rock Garden makes a great set of armour as well as the 2008 661

Posted: Nov 8, 2007 at 18:46 Quote
What are some smaller companies that make decent light armour?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009785
Mobile Version of Website