A Different Take On Homelessness

PB Forum :: Off-Topic
A Different Take On Homelessness
Posted: Feb 9, 2009 at 2:08 Quote
I was coming home from the bars one night and got stranded downtown, ended up spending the night hanging out with homeless people, Its interesting and crazy how their ''society'' works.

Posted: Feb 9, 2009 at 7:31 Quote
That was.. Well i can't really explain it but i found the last 10 minutes very emotional.

Posted: Feb 9, 2009 at 14:56 Quote
Wow I just watched it its amazing and it makes me happy to see people nice enough to give their bottles and stuff to these people so they can make a few bucks

Posted: Feb 9, 2009 at 16:43 Quote
The thing about people who are homeless, is that they are stereotyped as lazy, stupid, useless, angry, violent, etc. When in reality alot are genuinely kind people who have had a rough time. Granted there are ass holes, but that's true about any group.

I've been working with homeless people for almost two years now, and it's kind of upsetting when people think they are lazy slobs.

Posted: Feb 9, 2009 at 17:17 Quote
lettusdude wrote:
The thing about people who are homeless, is that they are stereotyped as lazy, stupid, useless, angry, violent, etc. When in reality alot are genuinely kind people who have had a rough time. Granted there are ass holes, but that's true about any group.

I couldn't agree more, to see the way they get treated is proof that ignorance is still rampant. If I ever have change on me when I see someone with their hand out, I have no problems sparing a couple bucks. I've talked with a couple of the local characters in the downtown area, some of them have unfortunately gone to the world of hard drugs and are walking dead but for the most part they're just people.

People want to talk sh*t on the homeless but I challenge any of those people to try and find themselves a job without a mailing address, money to get a haircut and proper clothes or better yet try and get assistance from the fantastic systems that the government has setup. Hell the government doesn't even work for the working class so I'd hate to see what they do for those not paying taxes.

O+ FL
Posted: Feb 9, 2009 at 20:54 Quote
ezekiel wrote:
lettusdude wrote:

I couldn't agree more, to see the way they get treated is proof that ignorance is still rampant. If I ever have change on me when I see someone with their hand out, I have no problems sparing a couple bucks. I've talked with a couple of the local characters in the downtown area, some of them have unfortunately gone to the world of hard drugs and are walking dead but for the most part they're just people.

People want to talk sh*t on the homeless but I challenge any of those people to try and find themselves a job without a mailing address, money to get a haircut and proper clothes or better yet try and get assistance from the fantastic systems that the government has setup. Hell the government doesn't even work for the working class so I'd hate to see what they do for those not paying taxes.

In the past I've walked past homeless people and they have a crackpipe and a syringe next to them unfortunatley those people need more help than my few bucks can give them but I have stopped to talk to more than one homeless person and they turn out to be a nice person who got delt a few bad cards that's where my few bucks can really go a long way.

Posted: Feb 10, 2009 at 18:21 Quote
that movie was awesome. i started watching it yesterday but got bored. decided to try watching it again and its awesome. probably the #1 documentary i've seen. i got angry when my stupid computer decided to put the screen saver on. the end was pretty good though, the guy should have went down in his wheelchair with them though, that would have been a better ending.

Posted: Feb 10, 2009 at 18:23 Quote
Saw this on tv awhile back. So glad i watched it

Posted: Feb 10, 2009 at 18:23 Quote
odin333 wrote:
that movie was awesome. i started watching it yesterday but got bored. decided to try watching it again and its awesome. probably the #1 documentary i've seen. i got angry when my stupid computer decided to put the screen saver on. the end was pretty good though, the guy should have went down in his wheelchair with them though, that would have been a better ending.
I'm sure a guy in a wheelchair crashing would of been a much better ending...........Facepalm

Posted: Feb 10, 2009 at 18:26 Quote
StevoFS wrote:
odin333 wrote:
I'm sure a guy in a wheelchair crashing would of been a much better ending...........Facepalm

did i say crashing? he was probably more likely to crash while sitting there in the cart then going down on his own. there disabled people on here with custom built chairs for going downhill tracks. the hole time he talks about how his life was about adrenalin, then he lost it all and his life has been dull. it would have been a better ending in my opinion if he went down the hill with them and discovered that rush again that he got from snowboarding.

Posted: Feb 10, 2009 at 18:27 Quote
odin333 wrote:
StevoFS wrote:
odin333 wrote:

did i say crashing? he was probably more likely to crash while sitting there in the cart then going down on his own. there disabled people on here with custom built chairs for going downhill tracks. the hole time he talks about how his life was about adrenalin, then he lost it all and his life has been dull. it would have been a better ending in my opinion if he went down the hill with them and discovered that rush again that he got from snowboarding.
Yeah I'm sure a guy with a bunch of nerve damage in a wheelchair will be able to control it going down a hill....

Posted: Feb 10, 2009 at 19:32 Quote
samnation wrote:
ezekiel wrote:
lettusdude wrote:

In the past I've walked past homeless people and they have a crackpipe and a syringe next to them unfortunatley those people need more help than my few bucks can give them but I have stopped to talk to more than one homeless person and they turn out to be a nice person who got delt a few bad cards that's where my few bucks can really go a long way.

I know eh... I usually rag on homeless people for being lazy... but I do realize that they are in a bad position and most are trying to be better off... However the ones who abuse drugs and alcohol give them a bad rep... I've been on various "outings" with youth groups at my old church where we'd walk around downtown and hand out sandwhiches or buy people a coffee... stuff like that... and its ridiculous how many of them declined cause they just wanted money for beer or drugs...

The one thing that bugged me about the film was how they were all complaining about the shelters not "accommodating" them or something like that... I'm assuming its probably cause you aren't allowed to drink alcohol in them... seeing as half the scenes had them sipping a beer... In new york the state has laws that says any homeless person has a right to shelter under one condition... they have to be sober... Yet they're are are still homeless people on the streets... They'd rather be drunk then have a roof over there head... and I hate that any of my money could go to accommodating those people...

But the movie was great Razz

Posted: Feb 10, 2009 at 19:35 Quote
gibson19 wrote:
I know eh... I usually rag on homeless people for being lazy... but I do realize that they are in a bad position and most are trying to be better off... However the ones who abuse drugs and alcohol give them a bad rep... I've been on various "outings" with youth groups at my old church where we'd walk around downtown and hand out sandwhiches or buy people a coffee... stuff like that... and its ridiculous how many of them declined cause they just wanted money for beer or drugs...

The one thing that bugged me about the film was how they were all complaining about the shelters not "accommodating" them or something like that... I'm assuming its probably cause you aren't allowed to drink alcohol in them... seeing as half the scenes had them sipping a beer... In new york the state has laws that says any homeless person has a right to shelter under one condition... they have to be sober... Yet they're are are still homeless people on the streets... They'd rather be drunk then have a roof over there head... and I hate that any of my money could go to accommodating those people...

But the movie was great Razz
the one guy said he doesn't like the shelter because all people do is talk about there problems and it depresses him like crazy.He has his own problems to worry about he said also.

Posted: Feb 10, 2009 at 20:57 Quote
At a restaurant i used to work at, the dishwasher was homeless. He was homeless by choice though, working 6 days a week, 8 hours a day he could have easily afforded rent somewhere, But wanted to live on the street instead. Never really understood it myself, especially cause when you sat down and talked to him he was actually extremly intelligent. Just goes to show that people miss judge and stereotype the homeless too much.

Posted: Feb 10, 2009 at 21:19 Quote
samnation wrote:
ezekiel wrote:
lettusdude wrote:

I agree with that, I'm not trying to be Mother Teresa working with the lepers or anything, if I see a homeless person that's clearly cracked out then I steer clear. I see no point in putting myself in the line of danger just to say hello.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.015168
Mobile Version of Website